Author Topic: New on Day 3  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Ashtad

• Sly Guy in Training
New on Day 3
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
Hi all, I'm new.. shaved my head 3 days ago with a pair a clippers and headblade. The first time wasn't bad at all and kinda felt good, like a message on my scalp. The second day wasn't nearly the same and left some razor bumps near my ears and slight irritation on the lower part of the back of my head. I haven't shaved yet today but before doing so, I'll be trying to soak my head in coconut oil for a bit prior to showering. I used a little coconut oil after both times since I already use it on my face after shaves (may sound strange, but I swear it helps).

I have to ask: Does the skin on our heads become less sensitive to the razor over time or do I have to just try different techniques? Or maybe both?

Before I forget to mention WHY I've shaved my head: I'm balding and not into all the chemicals or hair transplant stuff. Shaving my head just makes sense.. even if my scalp acts like a reflector at the moment :D

Oh and this feels really good right now .. Only my hats don't seem to fit just right anymore.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Re: New on Day 3
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »
Welcome to the club, ashtad. Your scalp will become less sensitive to shaving as time goes by. Less prone to irritation, too. The coconut oil should help because it'll act like a lubricant. Taking a hot shower first will also help as it'll soften the stubble.
Hair is over rated.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
Welcome Ashtad
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
Welcome, Ashtad.

Sly suits you.

Congratulations on not falling for the hair "restoration" bunk out there.  Smooth is just too liberating - and it feels great, too.

Glad you are with us.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 05:20:37 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 05:34:12 PM »
I have to ask: Does the skin on our heads become less sensitive to the razor over time or do I have to just try different techniques? Or maybe both?

YES, your scalp will get used to the shaves. For the first little bit, don't scrape too hard. Soon enough you'll get the super smooth results.  Take your time with the pressure and desire for super smooth the first week or two as your head adjusts.

Color will come in. You'll be able to shave against the grain shortly and have a nice smooth head.  Enjoy the shine!  The shinier the better, I think. If you need more shine, think of Head Lube Glossy, or Aloe Vera Gel, etc.

Coconut oil is a good choice.

Offline Ashtad

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 05:52:54 PM »
Thanks guys!

Incidentally, I shaved against the grain every time so far.. I'm just too use to doing things that way with my face lol. There are some spots on my head that I discovered grow in every which way imaginable!

I just did my third shave and it wasn't as bad as yesterday. Perhaps it was just an off day? Still a bit tender but I'm still feeling a kind of sly high !B@

Now to check everyone's facial hair out for ideas. I'm not sure what kinda hair goes with what kinda face? I usually keep my facial hair short and mainly shave my neck and even tried a chinstrap once. I feel like I'm starting over with blank slate though!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »
Welcome, Ashtad! Just about any facial hairstyle will do with sly. I like the chinstrap beard, myself. You look like a natural; enjoy the forum!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 03:26:47 AM »
welcome....are you shaving with the grain first or just atg? I have to shave wtg then atg or my head is very sore....what razor are you using? do you use a proper shaving cream or crap in a can....I noticed a huge improvement when I started using shaving cream and a brush...I finish up with witch hazel, then aloe vera. ...I shave every morning and so far am still rash free! though I do take a break at weekends

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 05:42:27 AM »
your skin will toughen up.  shave in different directions.  and remember little pressure.

Offline Ashtad

• Sly Guy in Training
Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
The coconut oil I normally would use a very little after shaving, mostly to keep my skin from drying out. Last night, I put a bit more than I would before showering and it was a bit messy. But while I was in the shower I put a little bit more on after washing and it seems to make a difference how the oil works when theres water with it.. leaving it on, this time it was acting more like a pre-shave oil but I still used normal shaving cream from a can. Then I shaved my dome and it seemed to be better. Maybe just luck? I guess I'll find out tonight!

@geeman I was shaving against the grain in every-which direction. The razor I've been using is the headblade sport with the tri-blades that came with it. And crap from a can :/ .. I was thinking about going back to neutrogena shaving gel but after reading so much about brushes I'm thinking I'll try that route.

@-Doug- .. I think I'm going to let it grow out a bit for now and just keep it short and my neck shaved.. though having a chin strap again is pretty tempting lol

And again thanks all! This board is helping an awful lot and really helped me make up my mind about going sly. I was reading some for a few days before I shaved my head and after before I joined. My cousin said she liked it, saw my mother and she said she likes me with hair but I don't think she realized how thin I was on top (I wore a hat too much). Either way, I'm liking it! Just wish my head would blend in already .. I can be impatient sometimes ha

Offline bud

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »
Welcome, Ashtad