Author Topic: Very pale and going bald.  (Read 15186 times)

Offline jasabb

• Learning the way of Sly
Very pale and going bald.
« on: April 29, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »
Hello everyone.  I've been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks and I have to say it is a really inspirational site to visit.  As just about everyone on here has, I've been losing my hair for many years and I've always known I was going to bald eventually. 

It is now to the point where it is time to make a change.  My only fear is that I am very pale.  I'm pretty much always the most pale person everywhere I go, and once I do go sly I really think I will look like a ghost to everyone.  I don't tan naturally, usually my face will just get a little red and then go back to pale white.

The main reason I wanted to post on here is to get some perspective from other pale guys that took the plunge.  What kind of reactions did you get and how did you deal with it?  It sucks that we live in a society where everyone feels like being tan and having a full head of hair is ideal.  I've also thought about using some of those sunless tanners on my dome when I do eventually shave it.  I would like to get some thoughts on that and if there is anyone like me and actually uses sunless tanners on their dome, and does it look realistic?  Thanks and I appreciate any comments.

Offline shavedslick123

• Sly Jr.
Re: Very pale and going bald.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:08 AM »
I used a sunless tanner at first.. pretty good results... have since discovered the ease of a "fake tan" at the my local tanning shop... It looks pretty good and might help you get over the "hump". I don't tan well either... my skin reacts the same way... but I am very prone to burning and have a genetic predisposition to skin cancer, so I avoid prolonged exposure to the sun anyway. Sucks and is somewhat difficult being from the Southeast U.S. We light complected folks are out there, just have to improvise. Good luck! bp

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
Hi Jasabb, I don't have a solution as such but I wanted you to know that I'm in exactly the same place you are now and wanted to extend my thoughts as it were.

I too am really pale. I've been wearing a hair program for 9 odd years and know it's time to let go.
Anyway, Just wanted to express my best wishes and let you know your in the best place for advice and support.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 04:21:22 AM »
Welcome mate,

+ 1 on using some sunless tanner if your head is paler.

IMO if you are pale all over the difference won't be as noticeable?

Goodluck!
Lynchy

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 06:19:41 AM »
Welcome!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 06:36:46 AM »
I tend to have light colored skin.

Take a look. What do you think?  I don't recall being pale was much of an issue when I first shave my hair off. (in January). I don't even think of being pale.  Just seems to match the rest of my skin.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:54 AM »
You really don't know how people will see it and if you focus on what other people might think, or not think, it will only lead to heartache. Focussing instead on working from within is the way of Sly :)

But if you still arent happy I think you should then move to Australia

Overall tanning is definitely not "cool" anymore in Australia and it is not promoted that way in the media here either. In fact nowadays it is quite the opposite, with adds on tv about the dangers of tanning and skin cancer. People who still tan are known as "fried" and people who who have fake tans are known as "try hards" People who don't tan are now seen as looking fresh and healthy and sensible. Tanning here is moving into something that people did in the past before we knew better. I'm untanned and sly and it doesn't worry me in the slightest. In fact being called "The Ghost" would be a nick name I would find quite endearing :)
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline jasabb

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  Yeah my brother says he uses a sunless tanner and it seems to look real.  I couldn't even tell he was using it.  I thought somehow he was just able to tan way better than me.  Anyways, I'll let everyone know when I go through with being sly.  I'm planning on doing it at the end of June when I have a week of vacation.  That way I can adjust to the new look before having to go back to work.  Thanks everyone.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »
If you can add some facial hair it will help balance out the pale (assuming you don't already have facial hair of some sort).

When I went sly, I had few comments other that family and friends.  Since adding the full beard, I get random complements from strangers.
SlyBeard

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
P.s if you clip first and leave it like that for a time you will get some color as you are getting about doing your every day stuff. That's what I did, so when I finally shaved, my skin wasn't fluorescent white...
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:50:13 PM »
Hi Jasabb, I also did what Crowbar mentioned. Buzzing the hair down short for a few days and getting some sun definitely lessens the white head effect! Be careful with sun exposure though, the top of the head can burn easily if not protected with lotion and strategic use of a hat!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 12:38:28 AM »
As long as you keep out of the sun from around 10-4 then exposing your skin to the sun for short periods is usually OK.  Yes in Oz we are continually warned aginst tanning - all schoolchildren in primary school must wear hats - but on the down side the experts are finding that some people have a Vitamin D deficiency due to no sun exposure.  Its a matter of balance.

Tanning salons and solariums are a big NO NO.
Roger

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:11 AM »
Welcome to the sly fraternity.  You have been given some good advice.  Keep us posted to your road to slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »
I have a very fair complexion and burn easily, so I'm in the same boat you are.  When you shave your head, there will be a difference in color between your scalp and face.  It may take several weeks to full blend, but you'll get there if you do short periods of sun exposure to avoid getting a burn.  Don't let this hold you back if you want to try sly.

As to being the pale one, I make light of it.  In the fall and winter months as people notice their summer tans fading, I just say I'm lucky because my summer tan hasn't faded!

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »
And why is "pale" something to flinch from?

From milk-white to coffee-dark: that's what each and all of us are along the spectrum.

Some of us are "tanned" by genes; some of us can tan if we work at it; some of us should stay away from UV.  What you are, you are.