Author Topic: Say there is a cure, what do you do?  (Read 19536 times)

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
Re: Say there is a cure, what do you do?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 03:00:04 PM »
Me too David, I could have a full head of hair, but this defines me well and I have no intentions of going back.

To me it is easier for us to be bald.  Simply because we are completely in control of the decision.   Like if for some odd reason I got tired of it(don't plan on that happening) I could grow back my thick hair in a month or two.

I will say that I feel more respected bald, and I love that.    When I worked sub jobs after shaving my head I was called "sir" repeatedly.   That was not always the case prior.    Plus as I mentioned in another post in an earlier thread.  I went to a restaurant and ordered sake.   The waiter did not ask me for ID.   This was not someone who waits on me there every time and has checked me before.    I didn't even give it a second thought until I got home, where I realized why he wouldn't have carded me.

But again, what is the downside.   I don't have to go burn money on haircuts, nor do I have to shave/do my hair every day to look good.    Granted it does take time to shave and I like to do it daily, but that is a labor of love to me.   Plus, it makes people see me for who I am as a person, and take me seriously.   Also, I love the cold pillow feeling, and I feel good about myself.   I purchased a membership to a tanning salon here where I live after doing a free 8 day trial designed originally just to even out my head to my face.   Reason being, tanning was relaxing/comfortable and I love the look.
bald for life

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 07:32:13 AM »
i say if they find a cure we picket outside the clinic. that might be fun. until the riot starts.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline BigJeffrey

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 12:33:37 PM »
I can't imagine myself with hair again.  The thought of growing it back just seems like too much trouble.  I can shave my head every couple of days and avoid all the shampoo, conditioner, product, comb, brush nonsense that my less folically challenged friends deal with.  I don't even own a comb...LOL. 

It's funny though, my drivers liscense picture was taken just before I started shaving my head and I always get double takes when I"m carded.  I look so much different (better) bald.

Offline Al Smith

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 02:58:17 PM »
Surely there can be no going back once you have taken the true path? One way to look good against myriad ways to look OK or worse? No competition.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 03:15:47 PM »
It's funny though, my drivers liscense picture was taken just before I started shaving my head and I always get double takes when I"m carded.  I look so much different (better) bald.

Had the same problem with my license until it broke and I had to get a new one
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Apollo5

• currently currently
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 07:02:34 PM »
hello. LTNS. I'm bald by choice(for now). So I'll keep shaving. Maybe they find a cure for shaving addiction. Unfortunatley their is no cure for ugly so I am completely out of luck in that area.

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
definitely stay bald as am used to the headshave daily routine now, so it's bald to the bone for me for life.
BaldBill

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
If the FDA approves it, I'd buy stock in the company and keep on shaving every thing from the neck up. Now, if they come up with a cure for hair, and it would permanently peel it, I'd buy stock in the company and a bottle of the stuff. Quality control purposes.

Offline bdizzle

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 06:08:56 PM »
If it was a legitimate, affordable cure? I'd probably buy into it. It'd be nice to have the variety to grow my hair and what not... that said I'd still shave it and rock the bald look periodically... I like it a lot more now than I ever did.

Offline syrian sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
well if anyone is interested the cure is gonna be here pretty soon(within 10 years or so)

it wont me a cure as much as a solution/treatment

also get ready to fork up a load of money  :o

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 07:15:20 AM »
To say that there is a cure for sly is to imply that sly is a disease.

I was going to say more but somehow I think my work here is done.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
To say that there is a cure for sly is to imply that sly is a disease.

I was going to say more but somehow I think my work here is done.

Yup - what buddha said
MikeC

Offline philp

• Sly
    • Young Hair Loss
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »
Talking about "cures" seems silly to me. For one, it implies that (as others have mentioned) baldness is a true affliction. It's an affliction only if you let it be one. There is plenty of evidence within these forums that baldness can actually be an asset, NOT a disease.

Another reason this cure talk is frustrating is that it causes many people to cling to the hair in anticipation of some good news. How many days are they wasting trying to cover up their receding hairline? How many hours are they spending thinking about what their hair looks like? I know because I went through this same line of thinking myself!

If a cure comes, it won't be for a while. Several rounds of testing and FDA approval. And even then, when it is approved, it will likely be expensive and there could be significant side effects. Propecia is an FDA approved drug, but it gives some people severe side effects. Just go take a look at the forums at propeciasideeffects.com - scary stuff!

1. Baldness is not a disease.
2. Don't spend your time on earth waiting for something that might not come

- Phil

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 12:34:40 PM »
^ Baldness actually is a disease, a skin disease. It's just like 100 times worse than having acne or something.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
Ummm, no. Please show us reputable medical literature that characterizes baldness as a "skin disease".