Author Topic: I did it! First Barbershop Shave!  (Read 2837 times)

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
I did it! First Barbershop Shave!
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:11:37 AM »
I did it!  As requested, here is the story:

So work is a bit slow today (I worked all weekend so fair enough) and when I was walking the dog late this morning I noticed my friendly neighborhood barber shop was deserted (I described the shop in another post--it's a block from my apartment and the guys and I chat when I walk by with my dog and they're outside smoking.  All 3 barbers are really nice guys and these guys did my more radical haircuts while I was in transition to sly).  2 American dudes and a Russian owner.  They love my dog, too  :@`

So I took the dog home, turned around and went back -- place was still empty, only the owner, Yosef, was there -- and took off the wooly hat (it's about 20 degrees F here) to reveal my lack of hair.

Yosef busted out laughing and asked if I wanted a refund for my last haircut.  I told him no, I wanted a shave, and so he sat me down.

From there he went all business and barely spoke (which I prefer anyway).  Started with a really intense examination of my scalp, the state of my stubble, which areas grew in which directions, the minor irritation at the back of my neck.  It felt like about five minutes but my perception of time was no doubt off.

Then came some kind of oil rubbed into my head and a hot towel.  I didn't ask many questions cos I was just sitting back taking the ride, but the towel was awesome, except it got cold way too quickly and I had to speak up cos I was starting to get cold again.  :)

Then he offered me a choice of different shaving soaps based on my scent preference -- I chose one from L'Occitaine, and he lathered up my head with a boar brush.  The brush felt absolutely amazing, like a scalp massage in and of itself.  I totally need to get a boar bristle brush.

After a minute or two of lather he started shaving with this single-blade razor that looked like this:http://goo.gl/bLd9c.  Again I didn't ask many questions so not sure what brand it was I was kinda mesmerised through the process.

The blade felt wonderful against my skin, and didn't even bother the irritated spots at the back of my neck.  It felt like a much closer shave than the three blade Gillettes I've been using.  He went mostly WTG as best I could tell and was super delicate with my neck.

Then came another hot towel which felt even better, another round of hot lather with the boar brush, and another shave -- ATG and touch up areas.  It was heavenly, really.

When he was done he wiped me down with a new towel, then put on some aftershave balm, then gave me a really excellent scalp massage with "his favorite lotion."  Again I was struck too stupid to ask :)

In about 5 seconds (actually an hour) it was all over and I had a beautiful, healthy, soft looking head. 

The experience really was a treat but you guys are all right, it is nowhere NEAR as closely shaven as I can get it at home.  But boy the experience was worth it!

Best part (not to brag) (okay maybe a little) was since I was the first female headshave customer he had he didn't charge me, though I tipped him more than what it would have cost initially anyway (which was not that expensive -- every little barbershop in Manhattan does razor shaves and it's ultra-competitive.).

So in all it was worth it as a pampering experience but like many have said, it's no substitutde for my own razor at home in terms of smoothness.  But Really Fun!  O0

Something I can see myself doing as a treat, like getting my nails done, but nothing I'd consider a part of the normal shave routine just cos it's not smooth at all. 

I think I'm hooked on sly!

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: I did it! First Barbershop Shave!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »
Very Good bella,  O0  Great story , I at my age have never had a barber shave.  And around here I don't know anyone that does it.  But it sounds like he really treated you like celeb.   O0  Sweet !  Thanks , for sharing.
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »
Only real complaint (knowing it wasn't going to be real smooth) is that I smell like a guy.  I think it's the aftershave balm he used, it just smells very masculine.  Hopefully enough of my own lotion will change that fairly soon.  Don't want to wash the head for fear of irritation.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »
Sounds like you had a good time Bella. Way to go.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »
Sounds great Bella.

Sure it might not be as close, but it's a treat IYKWIM.

Thank you for sharing.
Lynchy

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing your great experience Bella   :)

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »
Slightly jealous, I recently left London and a headshave was my treat, where I live now they just don't do it!

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »
It's interesting to know that they used a DE razor -- so straight razors might not be allowed in NY?

Thanks for the report -- I appreciate that trouble that you have gone to.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »
Really would be interesting to find out how many places that really do that anymore ?
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
I think it is rare now and hardly anyplace does it anymore

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
It's interesting to know that they used a DE razor -- so straight razors might not be allowed in NY?

Geez, they don't even allow 32oz soda's in NYC...LOL.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »

Now that is  :*)) :*))  And you would think NY had so many great shaving places.  By the way Tom when you said Gallagher's steak house on New years eve,  do you own that?
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
He asked if I wanted a straight razor amd I said no thanks (based on my impression here it doesn't make much of a difference and the things scare me) -- that doesn't mean they're allowed, or not, though   ;D 

Small barbershops in NYC are kind of like bodegas, they play fast and loose with the rules and the cops have much bigger things to care about (and even patronize such shops for such reasons).

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
Man now you are making me want to go to the barbershop in get a straight edge razor shave...Well that want happen don't know any place that does straight edge razor shaves hear  O0

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

Now that is  :*)) :*))  And you would think NY had so many great shaving places.  By the way Tom when you said Gallagher's steak house on New years eve,  do you own that?

The family is not involved anymore.

Enter your email address: