Author Topic: Mixed shaving method (1st pass electric 2nd and 3rd with DE Razor) any thoughts?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Eightball

• Learning the way of Sly
Guys,

At the risk of being flamed I've just had (yesterday night and again this morning a shocking good experience).

I've shaved my head with an electric shaver (Braun 790cc) and the result was amazing (textbook BBS) without any cut, nick or (more important) abrasion, and it took no more then 10m.

Since I can remember I've shaved manually with the usual disposable blade and goo in a can type of shave cream, Although I've tried electric for a while I've never could manage the abrasion it left on my skin and eventually I've returned to the the old routine.

Eventually I've grown tired of the disposable Mack 1/2/3/4 things, bought a good DE Razor, brush and cream and never look back, I took great pleasure in the results, the savings (OK. by being a 50 year old rational, father of three men, I have to say that over the years I've spent a lot of many in DE razors, brushes and other stuff, but it is the thought that counts, right?).

For a while now I've grown a beard and begin to clean shave my head ( although still shaving part of my neck and part of my face).

I have very a stiff hair so being a bald men by choice is no easy task (I have to make at least 3, sometimes 4 passes in my head and neck, which take time and at times may lead to some nicks, cuts and abrasion).

Being always in the lookout for new ways of improving my shave by way of either, augmenting the confort, reducing the time to shave or/and achieving a closer shave, I've thought of buying the top electric shaver of the moment and wonder If I could reduce the time of shave, by doing a first, rough pass, with the electric shaver and this way reducing the time of shave for at least one third.

After doing my research on line, I've zero in the Braun 790cc with cleaning station ( new, around 200 USD) and bought one, almost new for 100 USD.

Yesterday night (with very low expectations) and with the clear intention of doing the first pass with the machine, not feeling any abrasion I've looked in the mirror, only to find what it seems a BBS (confirmed by my hand) I was shocked, the state of the art in electric shavers in the last 25 years had evolved in a way that I've not foreseen, no additional shaving was necessary it looked just right, this morning I've shaved again only with the electric shaver with the same results (I could never shave with a razor with good results and no skin abrasion with a 8 hour interval).

Toughts and pros and cons

I realy love the ritual of the traditional shaving what I will do in the next days is to test my initial idea make the first pass (or even the first and second pass) with the electric and make the second, or third pass withe the DE Razor

Pros

Good clean shave in less time and virtually no abrasion with the electric shaver
Cheaper (If doing electric only, no DE Razor, brushes, creams etc and yes, no fun)

Cons

No ritual, just click the machine and begin shaving ( when you are late this could constitute a Pro)
In a good day (no nicks and cuts) the shave from the the DE razor/Straight Razor will last longer

I would like to hear your thoughts and or experience with mix shaving (electric/manual)

May you all, have a good BBS with a clean skin.

Offline Chaplain Mike

• Sly Jr.
I did this just yesterday.  First with my Norleco and then with my Headblade.  Makes shaving easier.  I use the electric on days I'm in a hurry to get out the door and my Headblade on the days when I have the luxury of time to do a good close shave.  I love the blade in it's completeness of the shave, but the electric keeps it sly on days when I just don't have the time.

Yestersay was the first time I used the electric first and I got an even better shave out of the Headblade than usual.  I may do this more often! O0

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
Very nice. Its good you found the best method for your comfort.

I love my mach 3 and cant see myself with anything else.

Personally I feel like the irritation isn't that bad anymore because my head has gotton used to it.
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
If it works keep doing it!

I have found on the face that a first pass with an SE and subsequent passes with a DE work well. It's called the Thomas Method!
Lynchy

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
I truly like to keep things simple  ;) O0  Different strokes for different folks.   8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL