Author Topic: Any DE safety razor head shavers out there.  (Read 3469 times)

Offline AdamC0418

• Learning the way of Sly
Any DE safety razor head shavers out there.
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:30:38 AM »
Hi,

New to the forum. I used to shave my head regularly. I then started working a job where I could wear a hat every day and got away from shaving, and started literally wearing a hat everywhere I went. If the place didn't allow hats, I wouldn't go. Well I'm now about to move from the delivery side of our business into the sales side. I won't be able to wear a hat at work and I want to start shaving my head again. So, my question is does anyone here use a double edge safety razor to shave their head?  I use one to shave my face, so I'm wondering how well it adapts to head shaving. I currently use a murkur progressor with the blue box Gillette blades. Any suggests on blades that work best for head shaving?  Right now I'm considering using a head blade, but I didn't have much luck using it before.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: Any DE safety razor head shavers out there.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
Hi Adam,

There are plenty of DE head shavers here!  Join the conversation on the Safety Razors subforum for a wealth of information on DE shaving.  I've only used two blades:  Derby and Astra SP.  The Astras are my and many other guys' favorite.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
Welcome to SBG. Sorry all I'm familiar with is the Mach 3, and head blade.
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:41 PM »
Welcome Adam !  I use a DE on my face but, not on my head . 
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Falcon43

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
I have been using a DE on my face and head for years. I just use the same blade for both. Feathers, Astras, Gilette Silver Blues, Wilkenson Sword, 7'0 Clock Yellows...  I think you get the idea.
Semper Fi! 
Tom

Offline AdamC0418

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
Well I just took the plunge. Wasn't ready to use the de on my head just yet, but I found my old fusion and the blade was brand new. So I've joined the chrome dome club once again. The wife is already a fan. She's so excited for me not to wear a hat every where we go.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
Well I just took the plunge. Wasn't ready to use the de on my head just yet, but I found my old fusion and the blade was brand new. So I've joined the chrome dome club once again. The wife is already a fan. She's so excited for me not to wear a hat every where we go.
;) O0 8)  Welcome back ! Rock on !
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:23:11 PM »
Welcome mate,

Exclusively DE on the face, but prefer the headblade for the head!

Hope you enjoy your new hat free life :p
Lynchy

Offline AdamC0418

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
I think I'll keep wearing hats at times. It keeps the head sweat from running in the eyes and good protection from sunburn;)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
Welcome, Adam! I only have one DE razor at the moment, a LORD DE which was given to me by my good friend Warhawk. I have used Derby and Atra, but so far Wilkinson Sword has worked the best...I only shave every third to fifth day, but the DE gives me a solid smooth shave that I don't see any hair growth till the third day. Anyway, welcome to sly and SBG and feel free to post often and ask questions!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »
Don my face ... HeadBlade on the head. I have used the DE on my head but I love the HeadBlade. I prefer the HB for my head BUT I love the shave I get with my DE on my face.

Welcome to the Forum! Check out the DE section!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Eightball

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
For a long time DE Razor for my  head and face (Right now , Merkur Futur with Gillete 7 O'Clock)

Now, using an electric shaver (Braun 790cc) for the first pass and using the Merkur after

May you all have a good and clean shave everyday.

Offline AdamC0418

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »
Well I ordered some Astra blades, and I'm loving them. I joined the dollar shave club to get razors for me to shave my head with. After a couple of days I couldn't use my Fusion anymore and the dollar shave club hadn't come in, so I went for it with the safety razor. I've been having problems with it until tonight. I use a Merkur Progressor and realized I can adjust this damn thing. So I went from a 3 setting to a 2 setting and did a double pass WTG on both my head and my face. I finally learned the lesson of going for the least aggressive that works for me, rather than the most aggressive. I was getting nicks and razor burn galore. Now, my face and head feel smooth as can be and I'm going to cancel that damn dollar shave club.

Offline Raulski

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
I have a couple DE razors but I haven't used them. I use a straight on my face & a Schick quatro on my head. Im not game to use the straight on my head & I'd like to safety razor it but the quatro is just so damn convenient! I can go a million miles an hour & I don't get cut. It's just laziness, I know.

Offline Lynchy_au

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 06:28:36 AM »
Welcome mate,

I use a S/E, Gem 1912 for my head and alternate between D/E and S/E on my face.

I tried other razors but the 1912 feels comfortable to me.

Cheers,

Lynchy Snr
We're all born bald, baby.
Telly Savalas