Author Topic: Hate the headblade  (Read 8775 times)

Offline YoungSlyBaldGuy

• Sly Jr.
Hate the headblade
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
So I bit on the headblade because it was so much cheaper than using my normal razors. I've got the sports headblade and man, does it ever slow things down.

My shaving takes double the time because I keep having to go back to do clean up and even then, I get an uneven shave that drives me nuts.

I'm disappointed. Has anyone else had these problems? I've been using it for about a week, shaving every day. I get a much better shave using my Gillette Mach 3. The blades are just so much more expensive.

:x! @c3

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
Re: Hate the headblade
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:50:13 PM »
Depends on the blade for me. With the HB3 that comes with the Sport, it's all but useless. However, with the Atra+ Blades, it's perfect.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
Was this your first time? I'd give it at least another couple of shaves before giving up....Practice makes perfect, and most of us don't get the HeadBlade right the first time....I know I didn't....
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Re: Hate the headblade
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »
Depends on the blade for me. With the HB3 that comes with the Sport, it's all but useless. However, with the Atra+ Blades, it's perfect.
Yessirrrr... This^^^^^

Cheers,
Ro

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:15:45 AM »
Have you seen the HB 101 video?:

If you are going back to do a clean-up with the HB then it just means that the blades weren't close enough to the scalp on the first pass but were on the clean-up. You have to work out how to get them close on the first and only run for maximum efficiency.

Getting the blades to "attack" just right is not a completely automatic process but just close to it.

I love the HB Sport and the HB Blades [and hats] but then I'm not quite so finicky with regard to smoothness as others. It sure is quick and easy though.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:36 AM »
Sorry to hear!

How long have you been using it?
Lynchy

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:22:59 AM »
There is a learning curve on the head blade.  Don't give up too soon.

I do find that occasionally I get a bum blade set that just is not as sharp as usual.  That will give a slower or not as close shave.

The head blade is my primary razor, but I do supplement with the gillette fusion power pro for some of the harder to get area or to just clean up if my head blade blade is not as sharp and I'm having a spot that just won't get super smooth.

I'd say, give it a little more time/practice. One week is a bit short.

benlen

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 08:08:53 AM »
Doesn't the headblade sport already have mixed reviews from guys? I've heard some profess that they love it, others that they hate it, in equal measure.

Have you considered the Headblade ATX?

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »
You either love it or hate it there doesn't seem to be an in between.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:45:28 AM »
Ditto on what Tom said.
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
 Tom, I agree - - -I used the HeadBlade for about a month and then went back to my Schick Xtreme3 razors and get a real close shave   - - -$20.00 for a pack of 20 and they last for 2 months.   I use a new razor every  three days.

I use HeadBlade products  - -I like the HeadSlick shave cream and I use the HeadLube Glossy Moisture Lotion.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:49:20 PM by mangosink12572 »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
My advice with the HeadBlade is to try the various HeadBlade blades and adapters to see which of them gives you the best shave. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
I've pretty much retired my Headblade Sport.  I very rarely use it when I want to have a really quick shave in the shower, but I never expect a BBS shave from it (I use my DE razor for that  O0).  I've used it long enough that I'm sure I'm using it right, but it just doesn't get as close as I want it and it's hard to maneuver ATG around the ears.  If you plan on sticking with it I highly recommend the two-blade Atras; the three-blade carts that come stock are awful IMO.

"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »
A lot of guys are saying that the supplied HB Sport cartridges [or all HB cartridges?] are no good. I think that this is so because the HB blades are "set" a lot higher than say a disposable stick razor. I base this idea on the fact that I can "drive" over moles with the headblade that I cannot do with disposables. The HeadBlade cartridges do not cut the hairs as short as say disposables.

They are probably designed this way so that users get less cuts on their heads. I reckon that the Sport with the HB3 cartridges is extremely "forgiving" and very difficult to cut yourself with.

Of course, if you want to get the closest shave possible then HB is not the way to go. I also notice that Rolling Razors supply their cartridges in I think 5 versions all set at different heights from "the closest possible shave" to "use this if you get severe bumps". Again, giving credence to the idea that not all blades in cartridges are set to give the closest possible shave.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:02:36 PM by Gary~ »

Offline YoungSlyBaldGuy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »
I've been using it for about a week. It's the 3-blade. Some spots are perfect while others still have a line of hair. Today I went over the same spot 3-4 times to try and get it and it still wouldn't take it off. I went both ways. Finally gave up because I was obviously wasting my time.

What's different about the ATX?