Author Topic: Hate the headblade  (Read 8776 times)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Hate the headblade
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »
A lot of guys are saying that the supplied HB Sport cartridges [or all HB cartridges?] are no good. I think that this is so because the HB blades are "set" a lot higher than say a disposable stick razor. I base this idea on the fact that I can "drive" over moles with the headblade that I cannot do with disposables. The HeadBlade cartridges do not cut the hairs as short as say disposables.

They are probably designed this way so that users get less cuts on their heads. I reckon that the Sport with the HB3 cartridges is extremely "forgiving" and very difficult to cut yourself with.

Of course, if you want to get the closest shave possible then HB is not the way to go. I also notice that Rolling Razors supply their cartridges in I think 5 versions all set at different heights from "the closest possible shave" to "use this if you get severe bumps". Again, giving credence to the idea that not all blades in cartridges are set to give the closest possible shave.

That's some hat Gary.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
I've been using it for about a week. It's the 3-blade. Some spots are perfect while others still have a line of hair. Today I went over the same spot 3-4 times to try and get it and it still wouldn't take it off. I went both ways. Finally gave up because I was obviously wasting my time.

I am interested from a technical point of view as to what exactly is happening here. Are the blades not low enough to the skin to take the hair low enough? Are the blades hitting the hair and not cutting it but just passing over it? Are the hairy spots in a depression in your skull that is difficult to get the blade head into?
That's some hat Gary.

Yes, I love this hat. Very protective against the sun and made from super-soft microfibre so it feels great. It's also reversible, very well made and extremely light and cool. To top it all off it was reduced from $16.99 to $6.99 [$5.60 after 20% discount from this site] so it was too good to pass up. I bought four of them for a lifetime supply. Here it is here: http://www.headblade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HB&Product_Code=6005&Category_Code=C100000

So it can look like this:
or this

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:57:24 PM by Gary~ »

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
Hey Gary , I have some hats for sale.  Are you part owner in HB !   :*)) 

Sorry back to the topic.  The ATX appears to have bigger wheels and you can go through mud.   ;D
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:48 PM »
 :@`Love my ATX!!

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 02:45:50 AM »
What's different about the ATX?

Well with the ATX you pull it instead of push it.  In that way it would be more of a familiar feeling to a stick razor.  Also where you put no pressure on the Sport, with the ATX you have to use some pressure to engage the blade as Todd from Headblade stated before.  The nice thing about the ATX is that it is almost impossible to cut yourself with it.  The bad thing is that you have to find the sweet spot of pressure on the blade for yourself.  Once you figure out the right pressure then you are set. 

It comes standard with a 4 blade razor.  They also make a 6 blade which will fit the adapter that comes with it.  You can also of course use the Sport adapter on it for the HB3 cartridge.    Actually a variety of blades will fit it much like the Sport depending on which adapter you use.  I personally alternate between my ATX and Gillette Proglide.  I think you would probably like the ATX.

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
We all have our own personal preferences. I for one love the headblade. I prefer the mach 3 though. I should start using the mach 3 for good though
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 06:22:35 PM »
HeadBlade Sport here without reservations.

However, not a fan of HB cartridges/blades.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »
ATX is a pulling motion instead of the pushing motion of the sport. Also for shaving, go with the grain then across the grain then with the grain. Take the time to figure out the direction(s) your hair grows in.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »
Give it a little more time if you can. I use the Sport triple blades. Went through a few weeks recently where it was hard to get a close shave with it.used my Fusion. Went back to HB and it seems good again. The blades are funky at times. You can get one that is great and te a new one that sticks in places.  Above all, try a few things and you will succeed.