Author Topic: Beard care??  (Read 14153 times)

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
Beard care??
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
Do you guys have any specific routines for taking care of the ol' face fuzz??

I've been roacking the full beard for a couple of years now and have done nothing more than the occasional trim and of course daily clean.

What I have found is that my beard almost has a grain to it and after a certain length it does sweep towards one side, this means I have to keep the cheek areas to no more than a couple of cm growth, the chin I keep longer and that is fine. I was wondering if there is anyway to tame this grain/sweep??

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Beard care??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:48:58 PM »
Cut off split ends, and wash and use conditioner .  If out riding a MC use put in all day conditioner. VO-5 works on along ride.  ;) O0 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
I pretty much do the same as you... haha. My goatee splits in 2 uneven sections... it doesn't bother me... but people always comment on how 1 side is longer or thicker then the other until I pull it all back together, and ask if it is fixed... to qhich point they are usually amazed by the fact it does that...

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
LOL , alot of people do not realize that one side of they have hair or a beard is always thicker.  It all depends which is the most promiant  side you sleep on. That is why when I was growing my beard long I brushed it when I was at home , watching TV.   It did help alot.  If you do use a brush do it lightly.  Also it helps the beard to grow.   ;)  Darn I miss mine. :o
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »
I think I need to try some of the "leave-in conditioner". 

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:26:37 PM »
You will not be sorry it prevents the dryness, itching and adds shine , and also protects the beard.   ;) O0
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »
I think I need to try some of the "leave-in conditioner". 

I'm considering this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Honest-Amish-Beard-Balm-Conditioner/dp/B009NNFB0O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378481505&sr=8-2&keywords=beard+conditioner - Honest Amish Beard Balm.

Seems expensive, but apparently it works very well (reviews are stellar), and you only need to use a little at a time. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get it, so I'll post a review here later.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »
my facial hair definitely grows thicker on the right side of my face.  Drives me crazy LOL  As far as care, I wash it daily and condition with Shea Butter/Cocoa Butter oil.. keeps it shiny and moisturized without oiliness..
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Dmac

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 05:19:34 PM »
I use that exact product (honest Amish) referenced above. I like it. I have tried other products that smell like a field of weeds...This stuff smells good but the smell goes away fairly quickly which is fine by me. A little bit goes a long way so the small tin will actually last you awhile. Good shine and holds the stray whiskers in check
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:21:09 PM by Dmac »

Offline barestajung

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 04:17:44 AM »
Well, my partner for this site. Sounds great, I think it is very rare

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 06:51:44 AM »
Trivia that may, or may not, have a place here. Scientifically, the hair on your face grows faster than on any other part of your body. A human has more hair on their face than a Chimpanzee but less than a Gorilla.

From that we could extrapolate that Gorillas should have an easy time growing a beard but it will be difficult for Chimpanzees. On the other hand, I've never seen a Gorilla with a beard.

Don't thank me...I find it pointless as well.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »
I shampoo mine with Bosley Hair Care products for thinning hair.  Figure it'll help promote facial hair growth too.  I don't use conditioner on it.

I trim it about one a week, sometimes every two weeks when I'm lazy.  I use a Norelco Beard Trimmer.  I apply shortsexyhair Quick Change Shaping Balm and brush it to keep everything in place.  I might have to try some of that leave-in conditioner though.

I have a decent beard for an Asian guy, although it is patchy in some areas.  I have to trim the strays otherwise they stick out and makes my beard look unruly.  The shaping balm does help and brushing it definitely keeps it from looking unruly.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »
Hello All.  It has been a very long time since I posted anything, but I have been following the threads in this forum for a few months now, especially as I have started my 'Yeard' and I am still gonna be Sly.
I was too lazy to follow the picture posting process so I changed my avatar to show my two month old beard.  I only keep my mustache shaved down from the top to a 'sort of' pencil.  Closer to a chisel-tip marker really.

Anyway, as to beard care, With a bit of Googling over the past two months, I have found 3 items items that I believe have been very beneficial to the progress I have been making.
1-A boar brush.  I found a small one with hard bristles on one side and soft bristles on the other side at Sally's for about $3.00.
2-Horn combs.  It makes a difference.
3-Beard oil.  You can choose among the specialty oils being marketed, or you can concoct your own blend with some guidance from a few places online.

Right now I am using a home made blend of hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E, lavender essential oil, and peppermint essential oil.  It is a very light blend and it is easily absorbed into both hair and skin.  I use about a dime's worth on what beard I have in my avatar and within an hour I can stroke my beard without there being a trace of oil or scent on my hand.
And boy oh boy does it feel great to stroke my beard now.  The difference that a good beard oil makes might surprise you.  I suddenly felt a remarkable, cloudy softness throughout the brillo that once grew from my face.

One note about making your own beard oil.  It is easy to do and you can customize it any number of ways using oils from a pretty small group, so it would be difficult to mess things up.  When you see the cost of the beard oils averaging about $20.00 for 1 ounce, you really start thinking about making it for yourself to be more cost effective, and you are correct.
However, the the initial investment on your part to accumulate all of the components of your custom beard oil may set you back a bit of coin depending on your list of ingredients you may want to get for blending, plus you may want dropper bottles, small funnel, etc.
I also only shampoo my beard twice a week, but I do soak it thoroughly make sure it is slightly damp when I oil it twice a day.  Works for me.  Works very well for me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:15:17 PM by ProphetNoir »

Offline nokaw253123

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
I ever use other products I don't like it.But this product work on me.Good job.

Offline TheDome

• Sly Jr.
  • Growing old disgracefully
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 06:39:38 AM »
Hi, my beard routine is pretty simple.

In the morning, I wash my beard in the shower with a highly moisturizing shampoo and rinse it throughly, and while it's still damp, I rub coconut oil into my beard, and comb it through using a wooden beard comb.

I leave the coconut oil in my beard for around an hour, then wash it out with a little more moisturizing shampoo.

Apart from running the wooden beard comb through it occasionally, I don't do anything else to it during the day, until I take a shower before bed.

Over the years I have found that coconut oil does every bit of a good job as the very expensive beard oils that are on the market.