Author Topic: Beard care??  (Read 14154 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Beard care??
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
I used to use beard balm until I realized how expensive and tedious it was ensuring I had a supply.  The stuff is sold in tiny $12 tin cans that don't seem to be available anywhere but online!  I just started making my own, literally today, and I hadn't used it since growing out the sides of my beard and it really is effective in making the beard appear thicker because what it does is add mass to the hairs so that they are controllable and respond better to being brushed.  This kinda packs them down and reduces the "friz" so that the beard seems smaller but denser. 
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 09:46:47 PM »
There's no way in Hades I'm going to ever be making my own beard balm or bear oil. Does anyone here have any brand that they recommend?
Is Honest Amish any good?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 04:08:14 AM »
Yes, I've been using Honest Amish.  I don't care for the pine scent but it seems to dissipate quickly.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 07:27:41 AM »
Does anyone here have any brand that they recommend?

I bought the Clubman brand a few months ago. I never had heard of beard balm before I found it in a barber supply store. It has a faint, classic Pinaud scent, and does a great job of keeping my beard under control. (I wish I had used it this morning as I am having a major frizz beard day.)
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 08:39:47 AM »
I started out with Honest Amish oil and balm, but have switched over to Grave Before Shave brand.  I find that the GBS oil goes into my beard better.  They also have many scents, all of which are very subtle.  My favorites at the moment are Bay Rum and Vanilla/Cigar.

http://www.fisticuffsmustachewax.bigcartel.com/  also available on Amazon.

Their founder Wayne Bailey, is a Sly Bearded Brother.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204248000580071&set=t.1229575877&type=3&theater

Red
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:01:19 AM by Sly Red »
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:58 AM »
Awesome recommendations, guys - thanks!
Red, I've got to admit that Bay Rum and Vanilla/Cigar sound tantalizing! I love the GBS aesthetic, too.

Offline TheDome

• Sly Jr.
  • Growing old disgracefully
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »
The vanilla/cigar scent is great, but I like both vanilla and cigars so that came as no surprise to me :)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 09:34:52 PM »
The vanilla/cigar scent is great, but I like both vanilla and cigars so that came as no surprise to me :)

Cigar - with or without vanilla - seems like a strange scent to add to anything.

Offline TheDome

• Sly Jr.
  • Growing old disgracefully
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »
It's just another scent. Some like it, some don't. I always think lavender is a peculiar scent to like, yet millions do.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 07:16:30 AM »
Do you guys have any specific routines for taking care of the ol' face fuzz??

May it's a mid life crisis, but I think I take more care of my beard and moustache now, than I did with my hair (when I used to have hair).

Shampoo and conditioner a couple of times week. Then it goes all soft and fluffy !

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 12:03:08 PM »
I've been using the Honest Amish for my beard and mustache these days. That,  with a good combing and brushing have helped.
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 01:20:30 PM »
Honest Amish and Bad Andy both make an odor-free version of their balms, and the only scent is just the odor of the ingredients they are made from.  The closest I can describe it is maybe a weak scent of butter.

Now having made a balm myself I know that what you are smelling in these scented balms is just an extra ingredient, and that makes "Honest" Amish kind of interesting because both their scented and unscented versions cost $12.87 for an iddy biddy 2oz tin.  Why isn't the version without the extra scent a little cheaper?  :D

When it comes to the scent I just can wrap my head around why anyone would want to have the odor of pine trees or vanilla or whatever under their nose all day long.  I bought a mustache wax once that was not odor free and that odor bugged me all day long.  It's one thing to smell a pine tree for a few minutes, but all day?  Annoying.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
I use a product called Silk Works to soften my beard.  It works really well  but I don't use it regularly because it has a strong scent thar I really dislike - and as you said, who wants a scent like that right under their nose all day long?

The Honest Amish scent dissipates within a few minutes.  The Silk Works scent does not.

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 01:06:04 PM »
There's no way in Hades I'm going to ever be making my own beard balm or bear oil. Does anyone here have any brand that they recommend?
Is Honest Amish any good?

I use milkman, 2in1 beard shampoo and conditioner (generally the Pole Position scent)
and the beard oil in the same scent (the scent in each is provided only by the ingredients)

I was ready to give up on having a beard cos of flaky skin and feeling harsh. but this product is awesome, I can buy online or one local shop has a small selection of their products.

Yes they aren't cheap, but will last me more than 6 months and my beard has some decent length through it, the shampoo comes in a foamer bottle, and the beard oil in a dropper bottle, so all you need is a very small amount
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!