Author Topic: Headshaving and Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia, how to...  (Read 12702 times)

Offline dupadupa

• Learning the way of Sly
Headshaving and Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia, how to...
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
Hi, well I decided to shave my head today. Let me first say that I suffer from a rare baldness known as DUPA, which means my baldness is diffused all around my scalp and hairline has never receded (have a small forehead). No one in my family has it. I got it back in college and for the past five years I couldn't believe that it wasn't healing and refused to be bald... but for now I have to accept it before I miss out on my current life. I'm 24.

Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. How can I make my hair less patchy?
2. How can I darken my scalp? Currently I will be buying the Jergen's tanning lotion to blend it in with my face pigment, but I don't think it will suffice.
3. Would you say I am balding or what kind of hairloss do I show?
4. How do you guys cope with this? Every day when I lost my hair I felt depressed. I had the thickest set of hair out of anyone I knew and always got compliments--girls loved it. Now I feel like a different person and never go out.

Thanks.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Headshaving and Diffuse Unpatterned Alopecia, how to...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:06:12 PM »
Welcome.  I'm sure you've checked with the dermatologist about the condition.  If there is a "cure" they would know, or if there is a reasonable prospect of a spontaneous recovery. You ask, "How do you guys cope with this?"  For the guys with ordinary garden variety male pattern baldness we've just recognized it's not a disease or a disability at all and we just get rid of the remnants by shaving our scalps. 
Search the web, you'll find lots of information indicating that being bald has definate advantages, for example this recent article from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443862604578032541863652264.html

Shave it down, and move on with life--it's really not that big a thing to others.  You alone can mistakenly make it a big thing in your life.  It really isn't. 

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
Welcome mate,

Good advice from saintc.

If you know its deffinatley falling out, get the upper hand and get the job done yourself IMHO.

You will learn to adapt/love your new look.

Cheers
Lynchy

Offline dupadupa

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
Welcome.  I'm sure you've checked with the dermatologist about the condition.  If there is a "cure" they would know, or if there is a reasonable prospect of a spontaneous recovery. You ask, "How do you guys cope with this?"  For the guys with ordinary garden variety male pattern baldness we've just recognized it's not a disease or a disability at all and we just get rid of the remnants by shaving our scalps. 
Search the web, you'll find lots of information indicating that being bald has definate advantages, for example this recent article from the Wall Street Journal:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443862604578032541863652264.html

Shave it down, and move on with life--it's really not that big a thing to others.  You alone can mistakenly make it a big thing in your life.  It really isn't. 

Thanks. And yes, I've checked everything (dermatologist, endocrinologist), and tried almost everything (minxodil, cortisone shots, etc) and nothing has worked.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
What will work: a Mach 3 (or other razor of your choice).

As saintc has already stated very well, this is only a big deal if you make it one.

It's just hair, and most of us here are glad to be rid of it.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »
Welcome !  Also agree with advise by above members !
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
As the other fellas already said, and probably better than I can, the best fix for this condition is a sharp blade or three. Seriously bro. You don't want to spend the next ten or so years of your life putting crap on your head or wearing a hat and worrying if anyone notices. Just shave it down, join the BoSBB (Brotherhood of Sexy Bald Bastages), and get on with your life.

Disclaimer: I saved my New Years drinking for today, so take any comments from here on for what they're worth

Offline Brownimation

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
Honestly, based on your photos your hair "shadow" doesn't look patchy to me at all.  If I saw you on the street I would probably assume you were bald by choice.  I have some typical mpb going on but rather than just receding, I have some parts that are getting thin in a sort of patchy manner.

I have never read of a way to totally get rid of the hair shadow other than a bit of tanning.  Again, though, with your defined hairline you look to me like a man with a full head of hair who has chosen to shave.  In essence, you have successfully "hidden" your hair loss!

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
Firstly dupadupa you have already taken the most difficult step [shaving it off] which wasn't really that big a deal was it?

Secondly, from the pics it's clear to everyone that sees you that the hairline on your forehead is very well defined and that means that other people will know that you didn't shave if off because of MPB but because you chose to do it. The DUPA is now invisible to everyone but you and you can now relegate that part of your life to the soon to be distant past.  I reckon that you will get a lot of extra points from people -- being seen as a 'get the job done', 'I'll control the situation and do what I want' sort of bloke.

I wouldn't bother with trying to blend the scalp skin colour with the face -- that will happen naturally over time as much as nature decides. The area above my eyes is markedly paler than my face and I'm keeping it that way because of sun damage concerns. I've lived in the tropics and had too much sun with some solar keratosis growing on my skull and face so the less sun the better.

You ask 'What kind of hairloss do I show?'. Well, at the moment, you are showing to the world no hair loss other than your chosen loss [which is really a gain].

Everyone here, given a little time, feels a great relief at having shaved their brain-box. It soon will become apparent that all those worries about your hair are finished once you have adjusted to your great new masculine look. Believe me well -- women do see it as being very masculine and many men will be silently jealous of your apparent courage in biting the bullet and just doing it -- they wish that they could do it too.

Read the posts in the section about the '30 day rule' as it does take some blokes a while to adjust. The adjustment can be greatly facilitated by going out into the world and showing off you new studdly look even if it makes you feel a little uncomfortable at the moment. Just take note of how many bald blokes there are out there -- lots and lots of them. The opinionated walrus here talks about 'the tyranny of hair' which is a great description of how having hair was for a lot of us.

You are now no longer suffering from DUPA but are revelling in DUPA. It might be difficult to believe at this point but in a few months [probably a lot sooner than that] you will be glad that you were effected by DUPA as it help you to be free from 'the tyranny of hair'. You will realise that you are one lucky fella having had this important realisation at a relatively young age.

Get out into the world and show everyone how good it looks -- I am giving you a money-back guarantee that you will love it.

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »
I'm I the only one who wishes Gary would make one of those Wisdom of the Day calendars for us bald guys? Seriously. The man speaks truth.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »
I'm I the only one who wishes Gary would make one of those Wisdom of the Day calendars for us bald guys? Seriously. The man speaks truth.

I hear you Brother Voodoo, I honestly feel like I'm hearing the wisdom of my Grandfathers. The way he says everything is truly the Aussie way, just straight to the point with great advice, but a little bit of humour thrown in to keep you interested!

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »
Fair go fellas -- you're going to give me a big head. I could never do a calendar thing because I couldn't think of what to say -- all I can do is spontaneously respond to the wise things that all you other blokes come up with.

However, it's good to know that I'm not being thought of as 'a bit of a pain' for talking too much and I am having a lot of fun doing it. I plan on sticking around and enjoying myself.

I really appreciate the friendliness and support that everyone here shows to each other. I haven't seen it anywhere else!

Bloody hot here today so I've been periodically spraying my skull with water to keep cool -- works really well. Another advantage.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 11:59:28 PM »
Fair go fellas -- you're going to give me a big head. I could never do a calendar thing because I couldn't think of what to say -- all I can do is spontaneously respond to the wise things that all you other blokes come up with.

However, it's good to know that I'm not being thought of as 'a bit of a pain' for talking too much and I am having a lot of fun doing it. I plan on sticking around and enjoying myself.

I really appreciate the friendliness and support that everyone here shows to each other. I haven't seen it anywhere else!

Bloody hot here today so I've been periodically spraying my skull with water to keep cool -- works really well. Another advantage.

Quite warm over the Strait as well, I am glad I went for a splash earlier today, although it's a pity we came home when we did

You certainly aren't being a pain in the neck or anything at all, and I'm glad you are having fun, that's what keeps us all coming back for more  O0

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 01:12:53 AM »

Quite warm over the Strait as well, I am glad I went for a splash earlier today, although it's a pity we came home when we did

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but just be glad that you're not in Marble Bar, WA. Check out the 7 day forecast:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:27:49 AM by Gary~ »

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 04:22:49 AM »
Yes must get back on track, did I even formally welcome you.... I'm really sorry if I didn't Dupadupa.

Welcome to the sly family mate! I really can't tell if you have alopecia or not from your photos, so I'm sure that no one else will, if you want to make certain no one will notice grab a razor and go full sly, you wont regret it, the feeling alone is worth shaving for!