Author Topic: Slyette in the making (Holla to SlyGirls?)  (Read 11784 times)

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Slyette in the making (Holla to SlyGirls?)
« on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:44 PM »
Hi,   O:O
Hope I'm not crashing the Man Zone.  :)  I'm happy to find this website!  I'm not entirely new to headshaving, as I've been buzzing for a few years, but this is the first time I went below 1/16th inch. 

I'm totally returning the shaver I bought today (let's just say BAD BAD EXPERIENCE!) and going to try another.  Suggestions?  I don't want to break the bank, but I want the SMOOTH (not sandpaper-ish) feel with an electric shaver that doesn't take 1 whole hour! 

The obvious questions I have to deal with because I'm a Slyette:

Do you have cancer? No.

Are you a lesbian?  No, I'm perfectly straight.

Why would you want to shave your head?  I have really bad allergies to everything outdoors; I've seen an Allergist and an Immunologist, and neither are able to help me further, so to be able to apply anti-itch meds to my head, I decided to go hair-free.  Also helps me manage personal care because with my disabilities it takes less time and I won't get bed head when I'm stuck flat on my back for a few days at a time. 

What image/political statement are you trying to make?  I'm not trying to make a political statement.  And while my Mom had breast cancer, I didn't really shave my head for that either (she hates my shaved head, for the record, and wore a wig herself)...I did it for myself.  If there is any statement that needs to be made, I guess I'd just like to say "Women should be valued first and foremost for the fact that God loves all the people He has made and Jesus Christ died so that we may have life in Him.  We can appreciate what we see of God in each other's hearts.  It's fine to be attracted physically, but as people we all need to look beyond physical beauty which fades with time and see that which is eternal."   :@`

I'll try to attach a photo, but it's not great quality because I used my phone's camera.  Nice to meet you all!  :D

Gutsy Girl

CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Slyette in the making (Holla to SlyGirls?)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »
Welcome aboard! May I say that you wear the sly look real well!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »
Welcome Gutsy Girl!

Nice to have you here. I don't know of any electric shaver that will give you a totally smooth non "sandpaper-ish" result. For that, I think you'll probably need a wetshave with a quality razor and foam or gel of your choice. I realize that a wetshave probably isn't too practical if you're going to be bedridden for periods of time.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 08:57:49 PM »
Welcome to the family Gutsy girl, you look great.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
Thanks, fellas!

I got razor burn in the back pretty bad with today's fight with the electric shaver....wow that thing was a PIECE OF JUNK!  :( 

I'm really afraid of cutting myself with a razor.  Have you guys cut yourself before?  Have you used the headblade?  Or do you prefer an electric?

Thanks for advice!
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:47:07 AM »
Welcome to the family Gutsygirl!

Yes we have all cut ourselves with the razor, especially in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it you and your head gets tougher you will rarely cut yourself. I've only ever had 1 decent cut though... and that was trying something that I knew full well I shouldn't be doing... so I have no one but myself to blame :P

I use the Headblade sport, and after I got used to it (yes there is a bit of a learning curve, just remember nice and slow, and NO PRESSURE, and you should be fine). Some people don't like it though, so I think it is just going to be something that you are going to have to give a trial yourself if that is the path you want to go down, personally I think it is the best think I have bought in a long time!

I've used an electric a couple of times and find it takes forever to get close to that razor finish, and even then it doesn't do it for me... so I stick with teh razor. There are some nice wet shave electrics out there though, I've heard a couple of guys praise the panasonic, but again you don't get that baby but smooth finish.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:15:25 AM »
Another HeadBlader here. A bit of a learning curve but really works great. I didn't suffer any significant cuts - key is not to use pressure, just let it roll along and do its job.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:23:53 AM »
Welcome, you are indeed gutsy for choosing the sly side, but only because of a startlingly large number of narrow-minded people. You look great and I'm sure you'll love the feel of a razor shave

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 04:32:39 AM »
Thanks, fellas!

I got razor burn in the back pretty bad with today's fight with the electric shaver....wow that thing was a PIECE OF JUNK!  :( 

I'm really afraid of cutting myself with a razor.  Have you guys cut yourself before?  Have you used the headblade?  Or do you prefer an electric?

Thanks for advice!

Hi GutsyGirl,

Electrics do one thing really well: They give you razor burn. Okay, to be fair, not everyone gets razor burn from them, but I sure do. You have to remember that inside that electric is a set of blades that is either rotating or oscillating at very high speed. Sure there's a screen or foil between your skin and the blades, but those blades having a go at your tender skin hundreds of times in a shaving session is bound to cause irritation. Ouch! :'(

Shaving with a manual razor with some gel or cream may seem daunting, but it really isn't. Just use a a light hand, and don't rush. We've all nicked ourselves now and then, but you'll find the shave much, much closer and more satisfying. I use a Gillette Fusion for my face and head, and I'm pretty happy with it. Good luck!  O:O
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:54:01 AM »
Welcome GG!

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:32 AM »
Welcome to the SBGs!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Drainman66

• NY Giants
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:20:56 AM »
Welcome Gutsygirl I like the shine it looks great.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:32:46 AM »
Welcome to the club Gutsy.

Andrei

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Bald Kahuna

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Paddling outrigger w/Princess Kahuna-Maui coast
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
Aloha and welcome...it is so great you have joined us. And now I will change my typical greeeting from: "You are looking good like a SLY guy should" to: "You are looking good like a Slyette should." Looks like the guys have already shared some good info with you. I know you will find that we have a lot of fun while treating each other with the utmost of respect and continually offering support on the road to, and after, attaining the SLY status.
Bald Kahuna

Enter your email address: