Author Topic: MLB playoffs!  (Read 11029 times)

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
MLB playoffs!
« on: October 05, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
  I want the Tigers...............but I have always liked the A's.   Great to see Baltimore back in it.             Best time of baseball season is NOW. Enjoy the games everybody and may the best team win.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: MLB playoffs!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:11:55 AM »
Although my pic is of my son & I attending a Raider game, my first love is baseball, and my A's are my favorite sports team. This year has been a magical season. For a team predicted to lose 100, to win 94 is incredible. Their biggest problem is lack of necessary revenue to re-sign players, thus becoming a farm system for the richer teams in MLB. Hopefully this year will begin a new era, and the necessary changes are made to return the A's to the upper echelon of MLB.

Cheering for an A's / Nationals World Series.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
IF..and that's a big IF...the Yankees make it through the ALDS, they'll win the world series.

Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Give my Orioles some props guys. We've been suffering for 15 years.

Buck Showalter should be manager of the year. To watch what he did everyday with this team was remarkable. If the Orioles can sign a front line pitcher this Winter they will be good for a long time.

Major Props to the "A's". Almost as good a story as the Orioles. I'd love to see the Orioles and A's in the League Championship Series.

Yankees are old and their pitching is suspect. Not their year.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:42:28 AM »
Damn Yankees.

Offline BaldRunnerFL

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
I agree Tom.  Damn Yankees.

My dark horse pick is the Cincinnati Reds.  Everybody's ignoring them and I think that's the way they like it.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »

Buck Showalter should be manager of the year. To watch what he did everyday with this team was remarkable. If the Orioles can sign a front line pitcher this Winter they will be good for a long time.

Major Props to the "A's". Almost as good a story as the Orioles. I'd love to see the Orioles and A's in the League Championship Series.

Far from OLD...I mean they have veterans. But swisher, Cano, Tex, Martin, Nova, CC, Hughes, Soriano, Robertson, Joba, Grandy, Gardner, etc etc etc etc etc would agree they're not an OLD team. Sure they have Jeter, A-Rod, Pettite, etc but the team itself isn't OLD.

Pitching should be solid.

CC, Kuroda, Pettite, Hughes, Nova. Wouldn't take them so lightly, they've got the pitching AND the bats to do some major damage. But time will tell, and there's always teams that play bigger/better than they actually are such as the Orioles and A's.

Orioles have already won their "world series" just by getting INTO the playoffs (well, kinda). If it wasn't for the new Wildcard system, they'd be sitting at home, just remember that. Will be interesting to see if they can make it past Texas in this 1 game series (which I'm stoked about watching, def rooting for the Orioles).

Sorry, as a Yanks fan we were so used to stomping on the O's it's hard not to pick at them! haha.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

Far from OLD...I mean they have veterans. But swisher, Cano, Tex, Martin, Nova, CC, Hughes, Soriano, Robertson, Joba, Grandy, Gardner, etc etc etc etc etc would agree they're not an OLD team. Sure they have Jeter, A-Rod, Pettite, etc but the team itself isn't OLD.

Pitching should be solid.

CC, Kuroda, Pettite, Hughes, Nova. Wouldn't take them so lightly, they've got the pitching AND the bats to do some major damage. But time will tell, and there's always teams that play bigger/better than they actually are such as the Orioles and A's.

Orioles have already won their "world series" just by getting INTO the playoffs (well, kinda). If it wasn't for the new Wildcard system, they'd be sitting at home, just remember that. Will be interesting to see if they can make it past Texas in this 1 game series (which I'm stoked about watching, def rooting for the Orioles).

Sorry, as a Yanks fan we were so used to stomping on the O's it's hard not to pick at them! haha.

Suzuki - 39
A-Rod  - 37
Chavez - 35
Jeter - 36

You're right... what was I thinking.... they're not old. Silly me.

9- 9 against the O's this year.  You are right that if the new wild card wasn't there the O's would be watching. But the extra wild card is there..... just like buying all the other teams good players is for the Yankees. Cheers!

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 03:57:50 PM »
GO GIANTS!!
Hair is over rated.

Offline Mike_412

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 04:56:36 PM »
I've been reading about how old the Yanks are all year, but it couldn't be further from the truth.  Do they have some older players?  Sure.  To call the team old in general is a false statement imo.

I always love the buying other teams players comment too.  That's been going around for years.  Also couldn't be further from the truth as it relates to the current team.  But hey, if it sounds good!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
A-Rod
Texiera
Swisher
Martin
Sabathia

Again... I'm wrong. Silly me!

I'm not saying that it's wrong because that's the way it's set up but for Yankees fans to deny it... shame, shame.
And no..... I'm not a Yankees hater. I actually hate the Red Sox.

I'm also a big fan of Jeter and Cano.

Offline Mike_412

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 06:05:19 PM »
A-Rod
Texiera
Swisher
Martin
Sabathia

I'm not saying that it's wrong because that's the way it's set up but for Yankees fans to deny it... shame, shame.

Mike, I think we're having a disagreement as to what's old for a ballplayer.  Arod absolutely is.  The other 4 are nowhere near it.  What do you consider old for a ballplayer?

I'm with you on hating the Red Sox though.  Sad to see Valentine go.  I was a big fan of his work this year.

On a side note, good luck to your O's.  They're one of the better sports stories in quite some time.  And I'll always love Buck.  He helped turn the Yanks around and probably got a raw deal after the '95 season.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
A-Rod
Texiera
Swisher
Martin
Sabathia

If we're looking at it that way..Man...Baltimore is an ANCIENT team...Thome...wow...which retirement home did you pull him out of?

/endthread

:x!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 04:58:07 AM »
To me... if you're a baseball player 35 and up your best days are behind you. There are of course exceptions.... Jeter is a timeless player that just continues to be good.

I was a big fan of Valentine's work this year too. Too bad he's gone.... that team deserves a dumb ass like him.

Jim Thome is ancient!!! The guy can still hit at 42!!

The Orioles have two guys 34 and one guy 36. None of them is a starter. Everyone else is younger. A lot of their players are in their 20's ... especially their core players.

Buck is a great manager and the fans in Baltimore love him. At last, the owner has found a baseball man to run this team and turn it around. With a key signing or two (a starter and a hitter) this team should be good for years.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 07:55:17 AM »

But time will tell, and there's always teams that play bigger/better than they actually are such as the Orioles and A's.

Orioles have already won their "world series" just by getting INTO the playoffs (well, kinda).  

And Yankeee fans wonder why they're hated.

Here's to my 94 win Oakland A's, a team that is playing better than they actually are!  `Dr!n#
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:15:58 AM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.