Author Topic: Advice on scar!  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Baaaaadtimes!

• Learning the way of Sly
Advice on scar!
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:19:46 PM »
Right then lads, literally my first post on anything online but figured someone may have some pearls of wisdom for me. I'm 23, still have a reasonable head o hair, thinning and receeding a bit. Happy with it at the moment but pretty much resigned myself to the fact that its on the way. Wouldn't be bothered as I don't mind shaved heads, but here's the issue. Clumsy nature has left me with a 12 inch scar right across my head, now I don't really want to resort to drugs or creams to stop hairloss but am concerned that a short style would leave me looking like a football hooligan or some kind of axe murderer. What we saying? And advise on stopping hair loss or gradually shortening styles or similar experiences would go down a treat. Been mulling it over lately so figured why not give this a shot.

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Advice on scar!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 09:02:38 PM »
Welcome to SBG. I can't address your question, but others will be along who can.

But I'll toss out my personal opinion ... I think it ultimately boils down to how you feel about yourself and how you present yourself to the world around you.

And my opinion may not be realistic in the general scheme of things - I have been fortunate enough to spend a lot of time with many wonderful and unique people who have surgical scars, burn scars, skeletal exceptions, vision or hearing impairments, albino pigmentation, dwarfism, and more. All of whom have enriched my life by knowing them, and also by teaching me that our hearts and our brains are where the true beauty dwells.

So if I were to see you with a 12-inch scar my most probable thought would be to use it as an icebreaker to start a conversation.

If you are comfortable - whether it's because of a scar, or having a shaved head, or a septum piercing - the rest of the world really doesn't have much emotional power over you.

Again, welcome ... stand by for more pertinent comments.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline philp

• Sly
    • Young Hair Loss
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
Agree with FrontierGuy, it's all about how you carry yourself.

Tell people you fought off a mountain lion.

Seriously, if you own the look, it won't matter how big the scar is.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »
welcome.
you have to ang in there, to be strong..
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:09 AM »
People live with and get along well with other non-standard 'marks' on their bodies. And instructor in college had a huge red mark on one side of his face, probably 5 or 6 inches in diameter. You've seen folks with large moles or skin tabs on their face or other prominent locations. Cleft pallets. and the list goes on. A scar on your head is right in there. Most of the people with these sorts of 'differences from the norm' are some of the most confident people that I know.

Wear your scar proudly.  Shave your head proudly. It's all part of what makes you unique. If people do 'stare', they won't stare long.  You only increase the stares when you sweat over it or react to the stares.

The other guys have good comments, too.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »
I'm not sure where you are in the world, but there is something in the UK called "Bio Oil" that claims to help soften and reduce the redness of scars, blemishes and stretchmarks. Not sure if it would be effective on your scar, and it would probably easier to apply with really short or SLY hair.

OR...

You could say to people "The scar? Oh! it's when aliens stole my brain...."

See what reaction you get!

theman

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
I enjoy all of my scars that is.  Vitamin  E cream or a ointment helps getting rid of scars.  
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:41:55 PM by theman »

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
My brother has a birthmark on his face and it's just part of his look, in fact i think it makes him look kinda cool, individual if you will. It truly is your perception that will shape what others see, I have a close friend with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome who fell down the stairs as a kid and who is covered in scars head to toe, and not quite 5 feet in height. He is a confident, friendly, and well-liked person because he doesn't let it define him, he defines it.

Offline cmhbob

• Did...did I do that?
  • Sly Guy in Training
    • About me
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:05 AM »
Love what leighmundo40 said. You could also find a tattoo artist to integrate it into a design, but that might be a bit much.

When I joined the Army in 86 and walked out of the barber shop, nearly bald, the guys who had a crowd around them were the ones with scars, because there's always a story to a scar.

There are always going to be small-minded people in the world who are going to make rude comments. They're not really worth your time and effort. And you shouldn't base life decisions an their actions either. Go sly because you want to, or as support for a friend with cancer (like I did in part). Do it for whatever reason. But don't not do it because of what might happen.

Good luck!
Bob

This message is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Offline Ironvalor

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
Hey Brother, Tattoos and scars tell the lifes story of the man that they are on. Own that scar, I have been a Bull and bronc rider, Before that a Prize fighter , I have been a Firefighter for most of My life and have gotten all kinds of bumps bruises and scars that wont go away. Like others have said it is a conversation starter. I have a huge scar on My left hand from a bronc in Ohio that threw me against a gate and gashed it up good for me. I went to pay for a bottle of water one day after a structure fire we had and thats how I met my wife! The turnout gear, the bald head, the smell of smoke, and the scar.

Scars worked out pretty good for me I hope they do the same for you.. Also Go slick cuz.. Chicks dig a sly guy
Central Kentucky Leatherhead- Punga Incendia DTRT-EGH Central KY F.O.O.L.S.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
great way to meet your soulmate!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »
I have a couple of scars on my head from from various acts of stupidity and skin problems. I wear them with pride and not many people point them out, but if they do I just share my tales.

I've got one on the right side of my head where just the other month I hit myself in the head with a mattock after it bounced off a chain mesh fence at work (momentary lapse of concentration didn't realise I'd turned to face the fence)

I've got lots of scars from this skin condition I used to have before I shaved my head, basically if my hair got more then a buzz cut I would get a really itchy head and scratch it (even though I knew I shouldn't).

Then there is what I call the "crater" on the back of my head, from a boil that used to appear every so often in the exact same spot. Well the day I went sly my sister saw it and attacked it... and I wont go into too much detail but it was quite a bloody mess... and left the crater, but it hasn't come back! lol

Oh and they aren't really scars, but I still have the dints on the sides of my head where apparently the doc used the forceps on me during my birth...

See, just think of them as cool little stories to share with the world. As you can see my head scars alone have given me 3 quick stories to share... but my favourite is my scar on my left knee from when I hit myself in the leg with the chainsaw at work... boy did that start an interesting few weeks... with work safe (oh&s) inspectors and meetings, and my first time actually getting stitches (I probably should have got stitches for a few other injuries... but there is nothing a big enough bandaid can't fix... lol), the best advice I can give you is, don't injury yourself in Australia at a... what is the term... High incident facility, it's not that but something similar sounding. Basically it is like a chemical plant, or refinery etc anything where there is a high risk of injuries causing death (I did mine at a chemical plant when we were clearing dead trees and uplifting/pruning/etc).

I guess what I am trying to say is, wear them with pride bro, even if you got them doing something really stupid... like falling over on something, or something "cool" like wrestling a bear or fending off a mugger or some other story people make up for their scars :D

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
Welcome, brother! In a perfect world, we all would have shiny, scar-free heads with no imperfections...but I think your scars are what you make of them....I have had surgeries in three different spots on the back of my head, and that combined with the hair I have lost back there, makes the kids want to play "connect the dots"  on the back of my head....Believe me, about 40 to 50% of the members here have some scar(s) on their heads from just....whatever....but don't let it stop you from going sly if that's what you want. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

theman

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
Today I stopped at Mc Donalds grab a quick cheap lunch.  When  I walked in, I saw a young man in early 20's .  It was very busy so we were standing in line waiting to order what we wanted.  He had a shaved head with a horse shoe sized scar on the left side of his head.  Very visable,  we started talking about the high wind warning that we have had here all day.  Then this young man says "I like your haircut,  I notice that you have some scars."  I said yes , and love each and everyone of them I fought hard for them.  He asked if I have had any comments on them.  I stated yes, he says did it bother you?  I said NOT AT ALL!  He said you see mine, would that bother you ?  I said not at all.  And  ;).  He said that he had a Brain Annuersym .  And that is why he has the scar.
He said that he had just gotten out of the hospital after sometime.  He said that he had always keep his hair cut short, and that he was ashamed of such a big nasty scar.  I looked at him and told him it looked good it was shaped in a Horseshoe, and then I asked who WON.  He said I guess I did, and I told him that I was a old nurse.  And that very few people survive.  He says , that his Doctor told him that.  I then said , so look at it with pride, and if anyone asks tell them YOUR LUCKY, and wink.  This young man got tears in his eyes, and said I sure am glad that we meet today.  I said so am I , gave him a wink and said Sly Brother, and told him about the site.  He said that he would check it out.  And thanks, he wanted to buy me lunch and I told him that it would be a honor if I could buy him lunch.  We sat and chatted, and just about was late for my Doc's aptt.. 

It has been a Great Day !   :)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
Great Story. Thanks for sharing.

The scars probably are less noticeable when you are sly!

I hope he joins in the discussion shortly and keeps shaving his head.