Author Topic: Ok, why does it take so damn long?  (Read 6240 times)

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
Ok, why does it take so damn long?
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:39:03 PM »
I just don't get it...

My routine:

I use a Shick Hydro 5 currently but I've used Gilette Fusion Proglide and the HB Sport.

1) Rinse my head with hot water
2) HeadShed exfoliate scrub (every other day)
3) Put on a few drops of shave secret
4) Add headslick to the shave secret and lather
5) Straight up on the sides, long strokes, followed by some short ones if I feel spots I missed
6) ATG on the back of my head, long strokes again to the crown, some diagonal ones too on the crown
7) ATG on the top of my head, long strokes from the front to the back, little short ones if necessary in between
8) Rinse, re-lather with some more headslick and then run over the back in quick, short strokes, usually at a bit of a diagonal and then the top of my head again, long strokes and short if I miss any spots
9) Rinse with hot water
10) Wash it over with some headwash from HB
11) Rinse with cold water
12) Wash the rest of me
13) Rub down with some witch hazel wipes
14) Apply Nivea Extreme after-shave balm

I just can't stand having to get up so much earlier every morning and having the process take SO long..literally in the shower anywhere from 25-45 minutes per day! It's a bit excessive! I had a customer tonight come in and tell me that he shaves his head in 5 minutes! I just can't stand it anymore... I'm almost ready to GIVE UP going Sly! :Xo!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:50:52 PM by BaldJJ »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Ok, why does it take so damn long?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:51:55 PM »
It doesn't take very long once you get the hang of it. Takes me 10 minutes, tops.

Offline Trac3

• Code Genie
  • Sly Jr.
    • Exorte Studio - Indie Mobile Games
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
You definitely don't want to give up sly :D you look so awesome being sly!

Maybe try skipping a few steps? It takes me maximum of 10 minutes to shave head/beard.
Going sly might just be one of those things that will change my life :) Thanks! :)

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »
He has probably also been shaving his head for a very long time. I still take at least 15 minutes (I've only been doing it since June) but I like to take my time. Have you considered changing your schedule around a bit and shaving at night? That way you don't have to get up early, and you can take all the time you need. I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning for work, and there is no way I am going to get up at 5 just to shave my head! It still feels the same the next day, I just get the velcro feeling a bit earlier then the morning shavers. But it does mean that I can take my time, and get a really nice shave.

The speed will come with time, trust me. My shave time just about halved when I switched to the HB, is there any reason you gave it up? I still use my hydro 5 but only to do the touch ups and to shave my face.

Offline Trac3

• Code Genie
  • Sly Jr.
    • Exorte Studio - Indie Mobile Games
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:16:37 PM »
I have shaved my head only for a several times, but I skip a lot of steps from his process... However I get faster each time I do it, and as soon as I get my shaving gear I will add up extra steps to protect skin etc.. :)
Going sly might just be one of those things that will change my life :) Thanks! :)

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
I do exactly what you just said and it takes about 10 minutes max. Just stick at it, practice makes perfect mate.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
Like the others have said, practice and patience. Also, if your doing more than one pass, don't try to scrape every last bit off with each swipe of the razor. Rather, look at it as a reduction process, removing a little more each time.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »
It doesn't take very long once you get the hang of it. Takes me 10 minutes, tops.

Apparently, I'll never get the hang of it cause I've been shaving my head for years....on and off.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »
You definitely don't want to give up sly :D you look so awesome being sly!

Maybe try skipping a few steps? It takes me maximum of 10 minutes to shave head/beard.

Thanks! I appreciate that. I don't even know which steps I can skip lol...

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:44:55 PM »
He has probably also been shaving his head for a very long time. I still take at least 15 minutes (I've only been doing it since June) but I like to take my time. Have you considered changing your schedule around a bit and shaving at night? That way you don't have to get up early, and you can take all the time you need. I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning for work, and there is no way I am going to get up at 5 just to shave my head! It still feels the same the next day, I just get the velcro feeling a bit earlier then the morning shavers. But it does mean that I can take my time, and get a really nice shave.

The speed will come with time, trust me. My shave time just about halved when I switched to the HB, is there any reason you gave it up? I still use my hydro 5 but only to do the touch ups and to shave my face.

Yes, I have been shaving my head for a long time. I've tried shaving at night but it seems to literally start growing back to stubble only a few hours after I wake up which frustrates me.

I found that with the HB, I wasn't getting as smooth a shave, especially on  top...not having a "perfectly round head" it just doesn't seem to go along the top of my head easily like it once did when I first tried it. I shaved my head with an HB years ago the first time I shaved my head bald.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:45:32 PM »
I do exactly what you just said and it takes about 10 minutes max. Just stick at it, practice makes perfect mate.

I don't know how else to practice it... I'm a daily shaver, been doing it for years.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »
Like the others have said, practice and patience. Also, if your doing more than one pass, don't try to scrape every last bit off with each swipe of the razor. Rather, look at it as a reduction process, removing a little more each time.

You're saying to speed up my strokes and not worry if I miss a spot, get it on the 2nd pass?

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
I'm not really sure then if you say you have been shaving for years. It shouldn't take that long at all, bit of a funny one this. I'd expect it to take a rookie about that length of time. How slow do you do your strokes? Maybe speed it up a little. Only you can make it faster. The actual shave for me probably doesn't take much longer than 4 minutes, if that. Just a case of about 5 strokes up at the back. 5 at the front, then up on the sides. Then rinse.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »
I'm not really sure then if you say you have been shaving for years. It shouldn't take that long at all, bit of a funny one this. I'd expect it to take a rookie about that length of time. How slow do you do your strokes? Maybe speed it up a little. Only you can make it faster. The actual shave for me probably doesn't take much longer than 4 minutes, if that. Just a case of about 5 strokes up at the back. 5 at the front, then up on the sides. Then rinse.

Maybe it's the shape of my head then? I'm really not sure to be honest... It's always taken me awhile. Do you feel over your head to make sure you haven't missed any spots or just do the quick head shave and just go with it as "good as it gets" type deal? Also, shower shaver or at the sink?

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »
Use your HB Sport again and try doing it exactly like this

Other than that I don't really know what else to suggest. It could be your head shape I guess.