Author Topic: which straight razors or safety razors you use  (Read 5472 times)

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
which straight razors or safety razors you use
« on: July 31, 2012, 07:32:44 AM »
I use straight razors

i have
Feather Professional Artist Club DX Straight Razor
Feather Professional Artist Club RG Special Teakwood

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: which straight razors or safety razors you use
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
Fromm Straight Razor from Sally's....it's also good for eyebrow shaping according to one of my lady friends.....Still searching for a good DE though.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
Your search is over Harry.... get thee the Edwin Jagger DE89L. I thing of beauty and a most useful tool for a great shave.

So guess which DE I use....  :*))
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »
@ SirHarry:  I love your participation in the Safety Razor Section but when are U gonna try a DE razor????  U know you wanna try it out. ;)

I am thoroughly enjoying my DE journey in that I have 4 razors that I rotate. 

Weber DLC
Weber ARC (just got it last week).
EJ89L (Edwin Jagger DE 89L).  This was my very 1st modern day DE razor.  It is a thing of chrome beauty.
FaTip  (this is an open comb razor)

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
@Mike-Gonna have to remember the name "Edwin Jagger" Thanks!

@Warhawk....Ever since returning from vacation last month, I've been working an average of 54 hours per week due to covering for others who are on vacation....Harvest season is about to hit and so we will be going crazy.....Had to help a couple of family members so no extra money at the moment...but I may be coming into something in a couple of weeks. Will keep you posted.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
Harry, treat yourself to something truly special and get the merkur 34c or 38c if you like a longer handle!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: Re: which straight razors or safety razors you use
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
@ SirHarry:  I love your participation in the Safety Razor Section but when are U gonna try a DE razor????  U know you wanna try it out. ;)

I am thoroughly enjoying my DE journey in that I have 4 razors that I rotate. 

Weber DLC
Weber ARC (just got it last week).
EJ89L (Edwin Jagger DE 89L).  This was my very 1st modern day DE razor.  It is a thing of chrome beauty.
FaTip  (this is an open comb razor)

WARHAWK O0

Mel,
You still haven't started with your wonderful SEs yet?   Can't believe you can be so patient!  You're missing out my friend!  I might take my injector on my travels with me this week,  it's so good!

Offline SlyintheOC

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:58 PM »
I use a Merkur 12C HD Long Handle Barber Pole Safety Razor, Open Tooth with Derby Extra blades.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 03:23:10 AM »
I use a SABI DE and a Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip DE. (Thanks to the kindness of Warhawk and BlueBriz)

If I could buy any DE it would be the Edwin Jagger EJ89L, but it is expensive to import so I will have to wait for the "bonus" month before I can even contemplate such a purchase.  I have read such positive reviews on this DE on this and other forums, so it makes sense as my first choice.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »
I use a cobra classic, a Merkur 37C slant EJDE89, Lord1822pl, Feather Artist Club SS non folding, Kai Captain folding (those two are disposable blade straights), schick injector adjustable, and another couple of SE razors, including a GEM featherweight generously PIFd by our very own Warhawk (a surprise present!).   I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple here....

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
I use a Merkur 12C HD Long Handle Barber Pole Safety Razor, Open Tooth with Derby Extra blades.

That is a cracking beard!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »
@Bluebriz:  Brian... you are right.  I still haven't really gotten into the SE razors.  Thanks to Brian... I was PiF'd (gifted) my 1st SE razor the Gem Jr.  since than I have collected a handful of SE razors in which I really need to try out.  I am just enjoying my DE journey but I plan to visit the SE razors one day.  Matter of fact... speaking of injectors... I was fortunate to win a bid on Ebay for a Schick Injector (good condition) for only 99cents. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
@warhawk Mel, the injectors are fantastic.  They give almost effortless close shaves!  People sometimes feel like they're cheating by using them, they're THAT good!  I'm dying to get hold of an O type injector, the last they made, but sold in Japan only.  I see the blades everywhere but can't find a razor!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 07:09:50 PM »
@warhawk Mel, the injectors are fantastic.  They give almost effortless close shaves!  People sometimes feel like they're cheating by using them, they're THAT good!  I'm dying to get hold of an O type injector, the last they made, but sold in Japan only.  I see the blades everywhere but can't find a razor!
Hmmmm.... I wonder what type of Schick Injector I got.  I'm going to check later.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
Hmmmm.... I wonder what type of Schick Injector I got.  I'm going to check later.

WARHAWK O0

The closest modern razor for the feel of the shave (IMO) is the Cobra Classic.  So you can get just as good a shave with an injector as you can with a CC.  I'll be interested to read which model you have, I'd guess one of the brown handled ones (not sure if it's plastic or bakelite!)

Enter your email address: