Author Topic: which straight razors or safety razors you use  (Read 5473 times)

Offline SlyintheOC

• Sly
Re: which straight razors or safety razors you use
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »
That is a cracking beard!

Thanks, BBCMark! I'm letting it grow out and working towards a large handlebar.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: which straight razors or safety razors you use
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:15 PM »
@Bluebriz:  Brian enclosed is a pic of the SE razor I won for only 99cents on Ebay.  It is a Schick Injector.  I hope you can identify what model it is.
The serial # in the razor..#1806087 and the bottom # 1969949.  Let me know what you think.

WARHAWK
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
Re: Re: which straight razors or safety razors you use
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »
@Bluebriz:  Brian enclosed is a pic of the SE razor I won for only 99cents on Ebay.  It is a Schick Injector.  I hope you can identify what model it is.
The serial # in the razor..#1806087 and the bottom # 1969949.  Let me know what you think.

WARHAWK

Ah, yes, the Schick Injector.  I left an esteemed SI at the gym by mistake a couple of years ago, and lamented the loss here on SBG, and one of the members (you know who you were) sent me, gratis, a SI of the kind you show here.  They are ca. 1940s.  It baffles me that SIs of this vintage are relatively cheap on eBay, but those from the 80s are quite pricy.  They all take the same blades!  I guess these early versions had most of the market share beyond DE units, and so are not thin on the ground in the used razor market, being found abandoned and sad in drawers of many a passed-on man.  "So let's see what eBay will give for Dad's/Gramp's piece of useless junk."  If the heirs but knew...

I have set aside my last surviving SI that's not this antique in case I should lose this one (not likely!), and use the antique every day I shave.  I dread the day that injector blades, either Schick or generic, become unavailable.  I've got two or three year's supply, however, in my bathroom drawer.

I can only agree with the other SBG posters about the ability of something this old to give a perfectly fine shave.  Some things take on excellence long ago, but the market decrees that "Old is for geezers, and so you had better use this new hot-diggety.  We need you to buy our expensive ['cutting edge,' of course] blades."  Nostalgia can go too far.  Ming is unlikely to regress to a straight razor, to say nothing of singing off head and beard hair with hot coals.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »

Thanks, BBCMark! I'm letting it grow out and working towards a large handlebar.

Indeed, that is a fantastically, stupendously awesome beard you have there. Adding a handlebar to it will put it in beard-leagues that I could never even comprehend. Great job, sir!!  O0
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
I use a Merkur 12C HD Long Handle Barber Pole Safety Razor, Open Tooth with Derby Extra blades.

Seriously!  That is a competition quality set of whiskers DCSly!

As to the original question of this thread.

I am another speaker for Edwin Jagger.  I have two of their fine razors.  The first one I bought back when EJ was still getting their razor heads from Merkur, so I was essentially shaving with a 'gussied up' Merkur HD. 
My second EJ purchase was made after EJ and Muhle teamed up to design and produce a head that only those two makers would share between them and it has made (minor) shaving history. 
I love the way that it shaves and I love the heft of my EJ Bulbous Lined, and the palm filling handle of my EJ Georgian.