Author Topic: Barber shop shave  (Read 6628 times)

Offline ycartt

• Sly
Barber shop shave
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
Has anyone ever had an old fashion barber shop (at the barber shop) shave on your head and/or face?  I would love to try one myself.

Offline palmerproject

• Sly
  • been shaving since 5-14-2012
Re: Barber shop shave
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
the very first time i went sly was at a fund raiser and it was at a barber shop. the used a straight razor and everything. it was so relaxing. you should definantly try it. i so want to do it again.
sly for life!!!

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:10 PM »
That's what I've heard.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
I have never had a barbershop shave.  I would love to try it though, just for the experience.  I imagine it would be very relaxing.  However, for the price I am probably better off using that money to buy more shaving gear.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline christencs

• chch
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • baldymountainbiker
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:35 AM »
On Michigan Avenue in Chicago 'Art of Shaving' I got à terrific headshave as sly as I never had, by an overweight Italian headshaved barber. Unique 35 dollar experience

Offline Arty Chris

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:56:14 AM »
I love going to the barbers for a shave!

There's another thread about this here... might help a little :)

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=14615.0

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »
Has anyone ever had an old fashion barber shop (at the barber shop) shave on your head and/or face?  I would love to try one myself.

Yes, i get a head shave about once a month. It's  funny...my barber actually is the one who got me off the fence to try shaved slick sly all over (and the guys here at sbg helped too). He suggested it one day when i was in for my regular razor skinned high and tight...he just got the cape on me and said "let's shave it bald today OK?" and before i could ask questions or object he had a hot towel prepping in the sink and on my head then a dollop of shaving cream and made the first pass with the straight razor. i couldn't  turn back at that point. To do it right with a straight razor takes him about 30 minutes. Give it a try...call ahead to see if there is a barber at the shop who does them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:18:02 PM by R o b 6 »

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
Haven't tried it yet myself but I'd love to!
Hair is over rated.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »
I only did it when I shaved my head for the very first time.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Prior to joining this site I went once a week....then it went down to every two weeks....then it went down to once a month because of the facial hair....Once I learn how to trim a beard properly, I will probably go once every blue moon just for the camaraderie.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 03:41:50 AM »
Knowing the difficulties I experienced the first time I buzzed my hair down and shaved it all off, I actually recommend that any first timer goes to a barber to do the first job as it can be very challenging, messy and bloody.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »
Good point waine, and even better if someone is on the fence.Putting the decision (and clipper) into the barber's hands can get you over that hurdle pretty quickly!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:55:37 AM »
...and you can get a nice relaxing moment. As I said before, a barber cutting, shaving and doing his thing is super relaxing...well, for me anyway...

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 05:59:03 PM »
I've had a face shave a couple of times and really enjoyed it.  That was before I discovered old fashioned shaving though, and now I appreciate more how difficult it is for them.  Only one person can get to know the weird directions their own beard grows in well enough to adjust the shave accordingly. 

The barber shop shave is a nice experience though, if you get someone who knows what they're doing (My last shave by someone else was by a 77 year old guy who'd been shaving for well over 50 years!)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »
I've had a face shave a couple of times and really enjoyed it.  That was before I discovered old fashioned shaving though, and now I appreciate more how difficult it is for them.  Only one person can get to know the weird directions their own beard grows in well enough to adjust the shave accordingly. 

The barber shop shave is a nice experience though, if you get someone who knows what they're doing (My last shave by someone else was by a 77 year old guy who'd been shaving for well over 50 years!)

Last month when I came home from two weeks maneuvers, I went to the city to visit my childhood barber who turned 78 earlier this year....guy shaped up my beard which was fairly thin, and gave me one of the better shaves that  was done by someone other than myself....He celebrates his 52nd anniversary in the barbering business the last week in August.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.