Author Topic: Barber shop shave  (Read 6627 times)

Offline baldOUfan

• Sly Okie
  • Sly
  • Boomer Sooner
Re: Barber shop shave
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
Think I found one in OKC, OK going wed will report back.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »
That is something I might like to try one day. I have never stumbled across a barber shop in Australia though, but when I do, I will be sure to go visit!

Now, I think about it... we did have one in my city when I was growing up, but that is long gone now  :'(

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »
I used to get my head shaved at a Russian barbershop about once a month before I graduated from clippers at home and started lathering up for myself.  The most interesting thing was that I got my shaves from four different barbers during that period.  One of them was a woman and another was a very young man.  I noticed absolutely no difference in the quality of my shaves between the four of them.  Each time was uniformly perfect, and they all used a straight razor.
I believe the secret is that they were all trained in the European tradition of being apprenticed to a master in their profession and were all taught a singular method.

The other thing that I found entertaining, was that this shop is located directly across the street from an Art of Shaving shop in midtown Manhattan.  Although their primary business in giving haircuts, they also do a fair amount of shaves, and at $15 a pop compared to the $45 across the street at AoS.

If you haven't experience it yet, I hope you find a full service barber or an Art of Shaving location nearby. 
It can be a very relaxing sort of spa treatment.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 06:42:02 AM »
Sounds good Prophet... O0
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »
O the barber shop  :@` -good old fashioned drawing blood ,operations on the barber chair and then relaxation with hair and beard trimming (noting beats good old bloodletting  O0 ),o man ,red and white stripes -or is it white and red stripes  ???

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »
When I was deployed two years ago, there were a couple of bases that had Iraqi barbers that gave pretty good headshaves. You could get a headshave, face shave, eyebrows done and a facial for as little as $20...a nice treat to myself after a weeklong mission where availability of time and/or facilities to shave were pretty limited...I would actually shell out $20 for a good Iraqi headshave right now...
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
sirharry12 -I know I am just kidding ,I am never serious and that is only thing that keeps me alive right now  ;) !

Offline baldOUfan

• Sly Okie
  • Sly
  • Boomer Sooner
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
well I'm back that was interesting I'm pretty smooth :)

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 07:20:48 PM »
i still get a straight razor shave at a barbershop once a week (every friday) to give myself a day off from shaving

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
I'd love to have a Barbershop shave. I haven't been able to find an old school barber in my area.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields