Author Topic: Do you want to toss your old DE?  (Read 5679 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Do you want to toss your old DE?
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:25:57 AM »
This may sound crazy, but I will shoot from the hip anyway.

There is literally no place to walk in to a store and buy a decent quality DE here in SA.  I have looked at Flea Markets and second hand shops, but found nothing.  I have never bought anything over the internet and I don’t have a credit card for personal reasons -- keeps me out of debt.  I desperately want to upgrade from my “El Cheapo” - “Lion” Brand which costs R20 ($2.80) to a decent DE. 

There are amazing sites in SA where you can import a decent one, starting at about R800.00 ($114.00) for something moderate, which is a little hectic for me to fork out right now. I will certainly buy my own, eventually.

So if there is anyone who wants to part with an unwanted DE, please consider me.  Perhaps you are tired of it, or you bought one and you have decided DE is not for you, perhaps you want to sell it, or just to bless me with it. I don’t care, if it is second hand, old or new.  “I just have to have one!” LOL

If you do, I have no idea how we will do the payment and postage etc, but hey, perhaps you have some suggestions?

This sounds a little “forward” but if you do not ask, you will never receive.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:42:22 AM by waine »

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Do you want to toss your old DE?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:19 AM »
Waine.... I don't have a DE (yet) so I can't help you out BUT I'm guessing someone on the Forum will probably come forward. There have been calls for help before that have been answered.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:48:54 AM »
I just want to acknowledge two SBG members here who read my plight and who opened up their hearts by each posting me a double edge razor.  At first I felt it inappropriate to mention them by name, but I believe their kindness must be acknowledged.  To Bluebriz, thanks a ton, the "Classic" Gillette is a massive step up from my Lion and I am loving it.  To Warhawk, the one you sent me is still in the post and I cannot wait to receive it.

This has fuelled my enthusiasm for DE shaving and I hope to return a similar favor in the future.  These gestures have also revealed to me that there are an awesome, kind bunch of guys on SBG who add a wonderful personal touch to the interaction on this site.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »
Waine... believe it or not.... this is not that uncommon on this Forum.

3 years ago my then 7 year old daughter suffered a terrible broken elbow because of neglected playground equipment at our Elementary School. I came to the Forum and posted about it and the next thing I knew my daughter was receiving stuffed animals and letters from a bunch of the Forum members. She even received a very nice letter and a some drawings from the children of a member that lives in Scotland.

I have received several nice packages of home made hot pepper jelly from SlyBear, a half dozen CDs (Jimmy Buffett) from Schro, a Harley T-Shirt from SaintC, and a nice little DE shaving pack from Warhawk. Schro also sent my son an Oakland Raiders hoodie. SaintC also helped my daughter with a school project by carrying her "Flat Student" cutout all over New Orleans and photographing it with locals. He then sent it back with a nice letter and some info on New Orleans as well as a CD of local Jazz music.

I've sent packages containing my home made Eastern Carolina BBQ sauce to SlyBear and Schro. I've sent a Harley shirt to SaintC and a Ravens shirt to Schro's son. I sent a jar of HeadLube to somebody at some point a few years back.

Anyway... standard fare around here.

Props to you for recognizing these guys!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »
Da Koz forgot to mention one very special thing--a Freedom Bell to protect my HD C#)P from Road Gremlins from his wonderful daughter--much appreciated!   O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:41:48 PM »
Da Koz forgot to mention one very special thing--a Freedom Bell to protect my HD C#)P from Road Gremlins from his wonderful daughter--much appreciated!   O0

True Dat!!!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:06:14 AM »
Thanks for that Mike.  I have registered on a few forums on the net and used to be an avid blogger.  This site is just so warm and friendly.  I also enjoy the fact that it is well managed and effectively moderated. You guys don’t tolerate any none sense and “trolls” are blocked, which is how it should be.

Now it’s time to acknowledge Warhawk who posted me an unused SABI DE, some Derby and Astra SP blades with a lovely note.  My package arrived yesterday and  I was over the moon.  The SABI is a quality, thick handled, chunky, well crafted piece.  This is an item, the likes of, that I cannot get here, so it is something I will treasure, just as much as the Gillette Superspeed Flare tip that BlueBriz sent me.

Again, thank you so much Warhawk.  I had my first shave this morning on the head and face.  The SABI charged with the the Astra SP gave me a splendidly smooth, irritation free shave.  I am fast becoming a complete face and head DE convert.

Now I am pretty much set up with two awesome DE’s.  My cheap “Lion” brand is now tucked away in the wardrobe.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »
Way to go Mel.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »
That is awesome Waine, this is perfect evidence that this place really is a brotherhood.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »
Hey Waine:  You welcome.  I'm just glad that U are enjoying your DE journey.  I still sample DE blades but I always go back to my favorite the Astra SP. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 06:14:56 PM »
Wow, you guys are awesome, I always knew you were cool, but this sure does make the old blood pump warm and fuzzy  O0

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
Can't you feel the love.... :@` :@`
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »
Ha Ha, you are funny Sir Harry.  :*))

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 02:05:14 AM »
That's not funny... that's loooove  :@` (cue Marvin Gaye's let's get it on) haha ok, too much Matt, be quiet now.

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »
I started DE shaving a bit over five years ago and, not to bore anyone with the whole story, I have been consistently amazed at the sense of fellowship among shavers. 
Here on the Sly forums, most do not use DE razors on our heads, however the same fellowship exists among the membership.
It doesn't matter who we are, where we are from, or what our differences are. 
The thing we all have in common is what we are here to share.

It's a beautiful thing.

Kumbayah.

Enter your email address: