Author Topic: Do you want to toss your old DE?  (Read 5680 times)

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Do you want to toss your old DE?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »
I started DE shaving a bit over five years ago and, not to bore anyone with the whole story, I have been consistently amazed at the sense of fellowship among shavers. 
Here on the Sly forums, most do not use DE razors on our heads, however the same fellowship exists among the membership.
It doesn't matter who we are, where we are from, or what our differences are. 
The thing we all have in common is what we are here to share.

It's a beautiful thing.

Kumbayah.

Agreed. It's the most friendliest forum I have ever been on and it's a joy to be apart of the firm.

Offline wyzguy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:02 AM »
I was in the same predicament, I wanted to try a DE but didn't want to shell out tons of $$ to just try. Luckily my mother mentioned she still had my grandfather's old gillette. It's got what seems to me a very short handle, but was enough to reassure me that this IS the way for me to go. Now to figure out what to get for a razor that fits my hand a bit better.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
I was in the same predicament, I wanted to try a DE but didn't want to shell out tons of $$ to just try. Luckily my mother mentioned she still had my grandfather's old gillette. It's got what seems to me a very short handle, but was enough to reassure me that this IS the way for me to go. Now to figure out what to get for a razor that fits my hand a bit better.

Look around... I have seen DE razors with extra long handles. I think the shorter handles are an advantage once you get used to them. Those short handles make the razor awfully easy to manipulate.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:32 AM »
Actually that is considered the standard size handle in the DE world.  When you 1st take the plunge in safety razors and U are serious about it... U want to shell out the $$ on a good quality DE razor like the Edwin Jagger 89L.  It is made in England and it is a work of chrome art.  After that.... U can save $$ in the long run.... for example on DE blades.  U can purchase a 100 pack of Astra Superior Platinum DE blades in Amazon for under $11.  That is a bargain.  Try buying a 100 pack of Fusion or Mach 3 blades??? 

If U like the longer handles and don't want to spend a lot of money try a Lord Premium or L6 as it is nicknamed.  U can purchase the L6 at Amazon.com for under $15.00.  The head is made out of chrome and the handle is made out of aluminum.  The L6 is a great value type of DE razor and it gets 85% great reviews on Amazon.  However if U are serious... why not treat yourself to a nice DE razor.

IMHO... safety razor shaving provides the smooooooothest face and dome shave.  I was a big fan of the Fusion when I first started head shaving about 5 years ago.  Since April 2012.... I took the DE plunge and never looked back.  Shaving with a safety razor is challenging and fun and I absolutely love it.  Good luck with your journey and if U have any questions PM me or just post up a questions so we can make your journey smooth.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline wyzguy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »
Maybe the shorter handle is just clashing in my mind with the longer disposable razors I've been using. I'm still getting used to the DE, probably 5 shaves so far. I'll see how this treats my face for a while before deciding whether to buy a different one. I use it with the brush / soap method and seems to work great. Still use the headblade on the dome tho'

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
This may sound crazy, but I will shoot from the hip anyway.

There is literally no place to walk in to a store and buy a decent quality DE here in SA.  I have looked at Flea Markets and second hand shops, but found nothing.  I have never bought anything over the internet and I don’t have a credit card for personal reasons -- keeps me out of debt.  I desperately want to upgrade from my “El Cheapo” - “Lion” Brand which costs R20 ($2.80) to a decent DE. 

There are amazing sites in SA where you can import a decent one, starting at about R800.00 ($114.00) for something moderate, which is a little hectic for me to fork out right now. I will certainly buy my own, eventually.

So if there is anyone who wants to part with an unwanted DE, please consider me.  Perhaps you are tired of it, or you bought one and you have decided DE is not for you, perhaps you want to sell it, or just to bless me with it. I don’t care, if it is second hand, old or new.  “I just have to have one!” LOL

If you do, I have no idea how we will do the payment and postage etc, but hey, perhaps you have some suggestions?

This sounds a little “forward” but if you do not ask, you will never receive.

I actually found mine at a Beauty Supply Store. I tried Sally Beauty Supply but it was a little too expensive. I went to tore hat sells wigs and weave products and found one for about 8 bucks. I used it once for half a shave but was so afraid that I would cut myself