Author Topic: Double edged my head.  (Read 6266 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Double edged my head.
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
I finally "Double edged" my head.

After weeks of reading, Googling and thinking, "Never, there will be too much blood", I finally put my cheap South African Lion Brand, Double Edge razor to scalp.

Having almost mastered using it in on my face, my curiosity as to whether I could pull it off on my dome, eventually got the better of me.

Taking the advice here on SlyBaldGuys.com and on Badger&Blade.com,  I prepared my head properly -- classic "Wet Shave" style, Badger Brush n real shaving Soap. I took my sweet time, asking myself, "Whats the worst that can happen?" I encouraged myself, rolling the thought around; "Men have done this with a Meat Cleaver", for goodness sake!

A brand new Bic Platinum was my  blade of choice. I went against the grain, "carefully", like how porcupines make love" LoL.

All I can say is I got an absolutely Super smooth, close shave with minimal irritation. (And only one stinging knick.) This "old" method definitely takes practice, but it certainly can be mastered. Perusal here has turned this technique into a bit of a personal challenge. The idea of using only steel on my face AND my head sort of intrigues me. Somehow makes me feel independent, having acquired an age old skill. I mean, I can get the BEST shave every day for life, if I had the time, I must confess, with a "wheelbarrow" of Gilette Minora blades for a few hundred Rands.

Imagine if the whole world went this way? The big rip off companies will fold. But I also enjoy the experimentation part, with the plethora of different universally fitting blades out there, it is indeed a fun challenge. (Heaven forbid that I ever get RAD - Razor Acquisition disorder, I already had PAD.)

This is a perfect weekend shave, unless I can speed it up by 15 minutes at 05;30, I may have to stick with the HeadBlade during for during the week. But DE shaving is perfect for times when your HeadBlade breaks, like mine did.

If any baldie is toying with the DE route on the head, hey, go for it and let us know your experience...

Now the hunt is on for my first "quality" DE razor!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:20:02 PM by waine »

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Double edged my head.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Good post - and congrats on having success with the DE.  I'm tempted, but am worried about turning my scalp into an accident scene!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
Npsgb, Come on, do it just once, maybe twice, and let us know how it goes!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Congrats, Waine! As a semi-regular straight razor user, will have to give a DE a try someday....I think I could do it. Next project for me: The Headbleed-I mean HeadBlade.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 10:44:39 AM »
I'm intrigued by the concept. My hair grows fast but if there was a method that did so well I wouldn't have to shave daily I'd certainly explore it. I wish I knew of a barber shop in my area that did straight razor shaves I'd try that out before branching out on my own.
Shaving is expensive so the one time cost of a straight razor appeals to me.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Sir Harry, its also about breaking monotony. One can easily get into a rut of doing something, like using the same shaving routine every day. I love experimenting, venturing out and breaking monotony. Shaving is no different. This DE thing has got me interested. One day I may be in a position where I cannot get access to my HB. As an aspiring DE connoisseur, I will be able to shave my head almost anywhere in the world due to the simplicity and availability of DE blades globally.

I would love to read the experience of other DE head shaving newbies like me...

GreatNessic, yes, that's part of the whole appeal!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:16:55 PM by waine »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
Hi Waine:  Congrats on taking the DE plunge.  I took my 1st DE shave (both face and dome) last April 4, 2012 and haven't looked back.  It does take time so that is why I mostly shave at night if I have to get up early in the morning AND anytime during off days.

Patience and time are very key in DE shaving.  If U rush... that blade will bite. >:(  So far, I'm absolutely loving my DE experience.  I encourage everyone to atleast try it out.  It's fun and challenging.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
Hi there guys, thanks for the responses and encouragement.

I could not resist my second face and HEAD DE shave in a row. Today, with the same BIC Platinum blade I again carefully carved my scalp, using only the weight of the Lion DE head. "Man O Man!" What an awesome shave? No big nicks this time, only a tiny red mole got sliced, and a painless scratch.

A splash of Old Spice aftershave, (No cream) and my scalp pulled, clean and tight!

Besides the time factor, I am already sold out on head DE shaving. Guys, if you haven't tried it, do yourself a favour, buy a cheapie and give it a ride! Make sure you use a quality blade tho.

Fortunately I am on a weeks leave, so I have the time to experiment. When I go back to work, I may go back to the HB for early morning shaves, as time is a factor. 

Practice makes perfect! I will keep at it.

Look forward to meeting more novice DE  head shavers and reading the experiences of  veterans.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:12:53 PM »
I've just been tempted by reading this... oh dear wallet

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »
Lol Slyfive, yes, that's always the problem with so many mens toys on the lovely shelves. The thin wallet!

But if you succumb to the temptation buy a cheap one and PERSEVERE even when you feel like giving up. You will eventually get it. Ha, ha, my "Lion" I always refer to costs $2-50 - a perfect lay out to learn.

I did day three in a row today. Same method but a different blade. I used a Gilette Minora this time, which is supposed to be a better quality blade than the Bic Platinum. Now I know what DE shavers mean when they say, "too sharp is not always the best." but the experimentation continues.

Again I got a neat perfect shave on my face and head for next to nothing.

A better quality DE is still calling me. I have promised myself one for my birthday in January.

If I can persuade just three people to use only steel, I will have helped save the planet and boycott the Fat Cat cartridge rip off retailers. LOL, Come on SlyBaldGuys,let's start a revolution...

My DE journey will be continued...

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
Kudos to you, waine! Congrats on successful DE shaving.

Personally though, I'm with npsbg. My hands are anything but steady (let's just say I wouldn't make it as a surgeon), so there's no way I'll ever even attempt a DE shave.  That's just me, though!
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:07 AM »
NateDawg, that's what I initially
thought, but it was surprisingly easy!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »

DE shaving doesn't have to be expensive at all.

From somewhere like bestshave.net you can get Yuma razors for about $3, or Derby for $10.  They're both fine for learning the skills, and might be all you'll need.  Blades are available in some countries and not so expensive (compared with cartridges) but online from Amazon, Bestshave, and a ton of other places, you can buy packs of 100 for about 8 dollars.

Don't let the fear of high prices put you off anyway.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

Hey Slyfive:  U may initially spend a little more on a DE razor but the blades are inexpensive.  My favorite DE blade is the Astra SP and U can get a 100 pack for less than ten dollars from Amazon.com.  Can U imagine how much 100 Fusion, Mach3, Hydro5 cartridges would cost?

When U are ready for taking that plunge... U won't regret it.  I know I haven't.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
I guess one of the things that gets me is I've only ever used the headblade on my head, apart from once i tried my schick quattro and took about an hour to get a satisfying shave, and  I nicked myself loads. So I don't know if having something that needs so much control and can't just be rolled over the head would work for me. Any thoughts?

Hey Slyfive:  U may initially spend a little more on a DE razor but the blades are inexpensive.  My favorite DE blade is the Astra SP and U can get a 100 pack for less than ten dollars from Amazon.com.  Can U imagine how much 100 Fusion, Mach3, Hydro5 cartridges would cost?

When U are ready for taking that plunge... U won't regret it.  I know I haven't.

WARHAWK O0