Author Topic: 21 and Losing it! Busting out the buzz soon, I think...  (Read 5324 times)

Offline jd28619

• Learning the way of Sly
21 and Losing it! Busting out the buzz soon, I think...
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:37:14 AM »
Looking to get some feedback from you guys.

I see sly is the style on the forum and I know I won't be able to do that right off the bat, the damn buzzing is intimidating enough, time will tell...

Here's my story ... I'm 21, soon to be 22 in a couple weeks, and graduating from college next week.

I had a nice head of hair in high school and low and behold freshman year of college start to show signs of thinning ... Fast forward a couple years it is getting progressively worse and I'm becoming self conscious as hell ... Losing your hair really messes with your confidence.

I know hair loss is this is inevitable as the men in my family are all balding or bald and I'm not going to turn into a combover guy when I get to that age!

Anyways, I've been wearing my hair at the length where it touches my ears for the past 5 years or so. My hair is very thin as well, to the point when I'm walking to class and its windy, my hair is flowing all over the place and I'm sure I look awkward and/or frustrated at the same time!

For the past couple years I've just been putting the situation off which I know I will need to deal with ... For the past couple years many people have continuously told me I should shave my head, but I've been too much of a pu*** to pull the trigger.

I say all that to say, I think the time has come ... I start a full time job a couple weeks after I graduate and don't want to start off as the guy with the noticeablely long awkward looking bad hair ...

I can't even imagine what it will look like, but I think once I graduate I'm going to go ahead and buzz my head ... My current status is driving me nuts. I would almost call it obsessive how bad it has become over the last year ... I will sit in the back of class otherwise I feel people will judge me by my hair ... I've stopped working out on a consistent basis b/c my hair being long and thin looks awkward as hell when running lol (well perhaps some is I've got a bit lazy too ha).

So here is my plan. Graduate, move into my apartment, shave my head, get my ass back in the gym and get after it with the 3 weeks I have before I start my full time job and keep it short moving forward. I'm not out of shape, but not where I was in the past or would like to be ( currently 6'1 195 pounds, would like to drop some of the bad/beer weight, eat better, and be a lean 185).

There it is... I always have kept this sh*t to myself and just wanted to throw this out there as I'm sure some have been through this themselves.

Also, regarding timing, I think this is a prime time to try this as I will have a couple weeks before I start my job and worse case scenario I hate it, I'll have at least some of it back during this time.

Also, another thing I'm nervous as hell about is what people I know will think after I get the buzz as there is no guarantee it will look good. This whole process is pretty dang intimidating!

I look forward to hearing your comments and feedback, and don't hold anything back, I'm ready to hear some genuine thoughts here.

Thanks,
JD

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: 21 and Losing it! Busting out the buzz soon, I think...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:10:26 AM »
Looking to get some feedback from you guys.

Losing your hair really messes with your confidence.

I say all that to say, I think the time has come ... I start a full time job a couple weeks after I graduate and don't want to start off as the guy with the noticeablely long awkward looking bad hair ...

Read the various posts here about confidence. Shaving your head bald BOOST confidence.  Lots of guys will testify to this.

And about starting a new job or applying for one with a bald head, ask Mr. Jules.  He recently shaved bald. Applied for a job and got it.  Everyone on the new job only know him as bald. 

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »
Also, regarding timing, I think this is a prime time to try this as I will have a couple weeks before I start my job and worse case scenario I hate it, I'll have at least some of it back during this time.

Also, another thing I'm nervous as hell about is what people I know will think after I get the buzz as there is no guarantee it will look good. This whole process is pretty dang intimidating!

The plan sounds good, although I would suggest an alternate. You have three weeks. if you shave bald FIRST.  Aim for the 30 day rule (shave daily for 30 days). I'd encourage you to stick with that. Now, if you really can't stand the bald look, in 3 weeks you can grow back to a fine looking buzz cut before you start work.  But I think that you'll like the smooth bald look and embrace it.  As you have said, you know that it is coming anyhow.  Shaving bald is a big confidence booster. The smooth dome feels really nice.  And these days, a bald head, even bald by choice like me, is in style. 

From my experience of shaving bald when I did not have to.  The intimidating thing is everything up to the point of shaving your head.  Once you do it, you wonder why you took so long to do it.  It's like pulling a splinter our of your finger.  Oh, it's going to hurt. Oh, I don't know. And once it is out you wonder why you fretted so much.  Just do it.

You'll look good and feel good. (Also, with three weeks of bald before work starts, if there is any color paleness, it will have time to fade before you start work.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »
Hi and welcome!

Your not the only young one here! I'm 23 and have been wearing the buzz since I was 21!

Shaving or buzzing is the best feeling, finally free from worrying what others will think.

I think your plan sounds great, new job, new place, new you!

Best of luck, put a photo up when you can.
Lynchy

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 05:17:29 AM »
I agree with the others here.  I buzzed mine very short when I first entered college so many years ago.  I kept it nearly shaved ever since.  Real confidence builder - I knew I had the confidence to be different - this was in 1950 when shaved heads or real  short buzzed was not common.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 05:44:31 AM »
What mrzed said. Perfect advice, follow it.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »
Welcome! First, congratulations on the college graduation. Second, everyone has their own comfort level as to if/when to shave their head. If you think a short buzz just to see what it looks like, that may not be a bad idea. But at least you're admitting that MPB is going to be a part of you sooner rather than later, so wanting to go sly certainly is a good idea. Check out some of the topics and stories on the forum, and it may embolden you to follow through and do the deed. Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:46:56 AM »
Congrats on graduation + job + bald realization + apartment !  Sounds like you have a full plate.  Like guys said here, read other posts here and you will be better situated.  Looks like you have a plan outlined.  Now you just need SBG  instructors to see you thru  :)!

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:59:44 AM »
Welcome, jd. You got a good plan. Like a new beginning kind of thing. I want to echo mrzed and suggest you shave right after you graduate. Hell, I personally suggest doing it the very next morning. Start the new YOU right away.

You've already been given some great advice here, but I just want to also throw in that you simply just have to go for it (shaving your head). Remove all doubt and just dive right in. It may help to have someone else do it for you. I had to ask my wife to actually do it for me the very first time, because I simply couldn't bring myself to. Now, whenever I have stubble, I can't wait to take a razor to it.

Good luck with the life changes, my friend! And congrats on graduating!
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline jd28619

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:08:31 AM »
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their time and encouragement w/ replying, never imagined a place like this existed.

Looking forward to a change, but not going to pull the trigger until I graduate, got enough stuff going on now with school winding down, moving back, etc.

Is there a site of some sort where you can upload a picture of yourself and photoshop (not sure if that's the right word) and get an idea of what you will look like sly?

I geninely appreciate all of the insight from everyone here.

One other question I had for those that buzz their head, how often do you do this?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »
I know hair loss is this is inevitable as the men in my family are all balding or bald and I'm not going to turn into a combover guy when I get to that age!

I say all that to say, I think the time has come ...
 what people I know will think after I get the buzz as there is no guarantee it will look good. This whole process is pretty dang intimidating!
JD:
More of the same here with one observation--it doesn't matter what people think--you're a guy who's balding and will be bald whatever they think. 
So, you can do it now according to your plan right after grabbing the sheep skin--or let Mother Nature do it, hair by hair by hair.  What will it look like--one hell of a lot better than a fringe or bozo ring--count on it.  You've go too much to accomplish over the next few years to let mpb hold you back--clean it up, get on with life.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 08:42:41 AM »
JD,

Congradualtions on graduation from college. mrzed and others have given you some good advice. Give it a try but do so when you are ready.

It took wmy awhile to get the  courage to do so but I have no regrets. IT really gave me aboost to my self confidence.

God luck to you now and alwasy.

Offline Cris

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Intermittently Bald By Choice
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »
Ah... confidence is the key for everything, isn't it? ;)
Cut everything away and I PROMISE many women will stare at you with augmented interest... you' ll see... you'll be surprised :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:14:31 AM by Cris »

Offline Reddas

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:14:17 AM »
Do it.
My story is similar to yours, and I'm about your age.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »

One other question I had for those that buzz their head, how often do you do this?

When I was buzzing to a #2 I'd do it weekly.  For a #1 I'd do it at least twice a week.  For buzz, no guard, I do it daily. Only takes a few moments (faster than shaving), and always looks the same.

Enter your email address: