Author Topic: Head Shaving Advice  (Read 6047 times)

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
Head Shaving Advice
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:45:49 AM »
Hey Sly Guys,

I've been shaving my head on and off now for a little over a year. I used to use clippers and eventually just an electric rotary razor but after not feeling -smooth- enough, I ventured and tried the HeadBlade. I've been using it on and off for almost a year now but I find that I still have some frustration. First off, I find that the HeadSlick does not stay wet/lather enough on my head and I actually seem to have better luck with a gel. Second, it takes me a good 15-20 minutes to shave my head. I always miss spots and have to go over it a couple of times. Third, I can start to feel stubble (especially on top) after only 5 hours or so. I always feel like the blade is scraping across my head, not a nice smooth stroke. I even tried my first straight razor - a fusion manual proglide but I felt the same way. This is quite frustrating. Now, I'm a guy whose receding pretty badly at a young age and I go back and forth between doing a bald fade and just shaving completely. I've been reading all over, watching videos, etc... and it seems on average it's only supposed to take people 10 minutes or so to shave their head.

I'm a sink shaver and I do it literally as soon as I get out of the shower. But between lathering, shaving and applying ClearHead after - it takes me a good 20-25 minutes total for everything.

I don't want to give up on head shaving but I'm wondering if some people just don't have the hair/skin for it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Head Shaving Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
From my experience, it takes longer to shave at the sink than in the shower, so you're not unique in that matter.  And I've noticed that HeadSlick doesn't stay wet during the sink shave (ir does in the shower), so I keep re-wet it with a little water on my left hand. 

You mentioned shaving on and off.  If you do it regularly, .i.e., daily for a period of time, you become faster and more proficient (no missed spots and a smoother shave).  It just takes practice.  When I started, I shaved at the sink and it took about 30 minutes.  I would have noticeable (to me) stubble in 5 or 6 hours.  I now shave in the shower with a Gillette Fusion in about 7 minutes purely by feel and the smoothness lasts a good 8 -10 hours. 

Lastly, if you feel like the razor is scraping, try a pre-shave oil on your scalp.  It softens the hair and lubricates the razor so that you can do longer smoother passes.

Stick with it - I'm sure it's just a matter of time till everything cicks!

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »
From my experience, it takes longer to shave at the sink than in the shower, so you're not unique in that matter.  And I've noticed that HeadSlick doesn't stay wet during the sink shave (ir does in the shower), so I keep re-wet it with a little water on my left hand.

I've tried that before at the sink but I generally have to go over it at least twice and I still don't feel perfectly smooth when I do it that way.

You mentioned shaving on and off.  If you do it regularly, .i.e., daily for a period of time, you become faster and more proficient (no missed spots and a smoother shave).  It just takes practice.  When I started, I shaved at the sink and it took about 30 minutes.  I would have noticeable (to me) stubble in 5 or 6 hours.  I now shave in the shower with a Gillette Fusion in about 7 minutes purely by feel and the smoothness lasts a good 8 -10 hours.  

The biggest issue is getting up an extra hour earlier to leave the time to shave my head since it takes so long right now which is why I go back and forth. Do you recommend the fusion over the HB? Or that's just the razor you prefer and are used to? I'm going to have to try it in the shower.

Lastly, if you feel like the razor is scraping, try a pre-shave oil on your scalp.  It softens the hair and lubricates the razor so that you can do longer smoother passes.

Any specific brand for that, when should you put the oil on? Or do you think the hot water from the shower + headshed would give that lubrication and/or softness that I need to get smoother strokes?

My method right now:

Shower with using headshed and then headwash to wash it off.
Lather with headslick (been using nivea shave gel recently)
Shave the sides of my head going straight up to the top of my head (when I try to just go straight back on the sides I feel like I miss so much)
Then against the grain top of my forehead to the middle of the back of my head.
Then against the grain going up from the bottom of my hairlines to the crown of my head.
Then I re-wet my head (or apply more gel/cream if I'm feeling too dry) and go over it all again.
I normally have to go over some spots multiple times and directions to get a remotely smooth shave.
Finally, rinse with hot water, dry it off and apply some clearhead.

Thanks for the advice, this is really helping me out.

J

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
It's normal to have to make a couple passes to get a smooth shave.  Try one with the grain, then against, relathering in between.  The first pass cuts the stubble, the second gets close.

I understand your time constraint - when I started shaving, I was getting up 45 minutes earlier.  Now it's about 10 minutes earlier.  Stick with it and you'll get the time down.

I started with a HeadBlade, but could never get a really good shave on the sides.  I tried the Fusion and it just worked better for me. 

I use pre-shave oil from the Art of Shaving, other guys have good recommendations too.  HeadShed is good for prepping the scalp and lifting the stubble for a better shave.  After your warm rinse, do a cold rinse to close the pores on your scalp and then apply the ClearHead.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »
Hey Sly Guys,

I find that the HeadSlick does not stay wet/lather enough on my head and I actually seem to have better luck with a gel.

I use headslick with a shave brush.  Put a chick-pea size daub in my palm, then wet the brush and scoop up the 'slick'. It lathers on.  When it seems to dry out, add about 1 Tablespoon of water to the brush and re-apply and re-apply and re-apply as necessary. 

I'm usually done in less than 10 minutes for a head shave.  Guess I should time it, but it seems that fast.

Mr. Z.

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »
Mr Z,

you do it in the shower too, or a sink shaver? Do you find that the brush is really that much more helpful?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
hey baldjj:  1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  whatever U do... do not give up.  each head shaver has their own journey... U will get better with practice.  i would suggest checking out the "head shaving" section of the forum under "your shave routine",  "what razor you use",  "shaving cream or gel".  this section has some priceless info on keeping the dome smooth.  again... welcome & keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »
It feels good to be Sly, warhawk! Thanks for the welcome :) I've been getting some great advice via PM from Mr. npsbg over there and so far, great results!

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »
Just an idea, but how about shaving in the evening when you might have more time to spend without the need to hurry?
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »
Just an idea, but how about shaving in the evening when you might have more time to spend without the need to hurry?

Great idea but unfortunately my hair is normally stubbly by the time I wake up if I do it at night. Hair is just cruel! lol

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:39:57 PM »
I've gotta figure out something better for the top of my head... I literally feel stubble on top sometimes as little as 2-3 hours after shaving  :'(

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:54:18 AM »
I've gotta figure out something better for the top of my head... I literally feel stubble on top sometimes as little as 2-3 hours after shaving  :'(

Been reading your thread.

Can relate to what you are saying. Been shaving with HeadBlade for nearly 3 months. And still feel that it's not quite shaving smooth on the side of the head and behind the ears. I know what you mean about the HeadSlick drying out. And like you, been looking at videos to see other people's routines. So, starting to think that razor irritation is a managed problem, rather a problem to solve.

To reduce razor irritation, try frequently re-lathering to reduce the feeling of the razor scrapping your head. And accept that you are never going to get a perfectly smooth head. After all, only you can feel the fuzz. Everyone else sees a sly guy.

Any day now, I'll get the Panasonic ES LA63 wet/dry electric razor. So we'll if there's an improvement on the shaving experience.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 08:31:04 AM »
To reduce razor irritation, try frequently re-lathering to reduce the feeling of the razor scrapping your head. And accept that you are never going to get a perfectly smooth head. After all, only you can feel the fuzz. Everyone else sees a sly guy.

What Jules said ^^^^

Cheers,
Ro

Offline BaldJJ

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
It's tough to accept....and am I the only Sly guy who looks at other guys' bald heads? Like at sporting events or just out going..."Damn, I wish I could be that clean/smooth!"

My girlfriend makes fun of me for it lol

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
It's tough to accept....and am I the only Sly guy who looks at other guys' bald heads? Like at sporting events or just out going..."Damn, I wish I could be that clean/smooth!"

No. You are not alone.

I do it the whole time.

Enter your email address: