Author Topic: Interview appearance question...  (Read 10776 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Interview appearance question...
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »
What everyone's take on being bald and bearded (or goateed) for an interview?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Interview appearance question...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
You need to be what you are my Friend...... EVERYDAY.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:31:13 PM »
Depends on the audience....if it's with Hair Club probably not a great idea..

Seriously though, I asked the question of a headhunter and was basically told that it is not viewed as out of the ordinary and is fine so long as overall appearance is good.   Currently I'm playing with the handlebar 'stache...when an interview comes up I'll opt to not wax it and comb it into the rest of the beard.

Yes, be yourself but remember you're trying to sell yourself so aim for a midpoint.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
It really depends on the industry and company.

I'm in software development -- showing up in clothes is usually all that is required. Interviewing with a law firm, would be very different.

My rule of thumb: dress one notch higher than what people at a company wear every day.

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:19:37 PM »
I personally think bald and a circle beard is more professional than bald and a full beard, for a interview anyways, nothing wrong wtih the full beard, alot of you guys pull it off well!, just my 2C

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
I've said this many times, the job interviewer isn't looking for what's not on or on your head.  They have selected your resume for further action because of what it says about what's in your head.  Of course you have to be neat--most corporate dress codes permit "neatly trimmed beards" unless there are safety considerations such as the ability to have a protective mask fit snugly to the face.  A shaved head is not anything more than a hair cut style for those with mpb, scientifically termed androgenic alopecia.  And, as I recently pointed out you have to promptly send in a thank you note to the interviewer--it also brings your file to mind in a positive way having demonstrated your social and business skills. 
If you're well prepared to support the information on your resume and are able to fill out any information that fits with the objectives of the potential employer that you recognize at the interview--that will stand out far more than your hirsute status.
Now the only reason I could conceive that you wouldn't keep your beard--there's nothing to be done on short notice about a shaved head and even long term you'd just have a horseshoe and with some "bad grass" on if that's what you have--and you really feel uncomfortable to the extent it would not let you be at the top of your game, then shave it--it will grow back and as I pointed out it's a rare company that doesn't permit neatly trimmed, not necessarily short trimmed, beards.  I work in a building with the regional headquarters of a major national bank.  There are numerous shaved heads with beards, including full beards.  There's one remarkable longer beard---beautifully cared for with a really outstanding handle bar stache--and he gets off at the "executive" suite floor with a sly and bearded guy and several sly guys. 
So making this overly long writing short--no there's nothing adverse to having a sly head and beard at an interview, nothing at all. 

Slynito

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
If you have a good appearance along with the resume and qualifications I feel you'll get an equal chance...unless it's at that university out west that won't admit bbc.

:)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
It really depends on the industry and company.

I'm in software development -- showing up in clothes is usually all that is required. Interviewing with a law firm, would be very different.

My rule of thumb: dress one notch higher than what people at a company wear every day.

I'd agree with slybear.

Are you looking for a job? or just asking the question?

seahawk guy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 11:44:58 AM »
Doug, your new beard is looking great. If you have an interview coming up then your new look is great - you should have no worries. Bald/beard look is nowadays very acceptable for nearly all jobs/professions, certainly here in UK.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »
hey doug:  i think a super, smooth dome & neatly trimmed goatee or beard is a perfect combo. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »
hey doug:  i think a super, smooth dome & neatly trimmed goatee or beard is a perfect combo. O0

WARHAWK O0
.  Cc

I agree.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
DOug,

I see nothing wrong with having a beard for an interview as long as it is groomed well. Your beard looks great and well groomed.  Good luck to you.

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
I concur with baldjoeg.

Offline sfty.dude

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Nothing wrong with a bald head and nice beard when entering an interview.  I think just a nice shave to clean everything up is all ya'need.  Like one of the other members have mentioned, you were selected by the qualifications detailed on your resume.  So unless you just show up in pajama bottoms, everything should be good.  As long as you don't blow the interview, I for one HATE interviews and always get nervous.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
there's nothing adverse to having a sly head and beard at an interview, nothing at all. 

Agreed.

Got my last job with a sly head.