Author Topic: Interview appearance question...  (Read 10778 times)

Andrei

Re: Interview appearance question...
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
Mr Jules, congratulation on your job!
I personally find a bald look to be professional but I'm biased.
Maybe the CV, look and diplomas speak for the first 5 minutes, but the rest is done by the person being interviewed.
So a shaved head or a beard should not be a handicap to an interview.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:57:03 PM by Andrei »

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 02:06:39 PM »
Mr Jules, congratulation on your job!
I personally find a bald look to be professional but I'm biased.

Thanks there Andrei. And good to hear you use 'CV' instead of 'resume' !

At my work place, had a few people describe the bald look as 'professional'.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 05:12:11 AM »
What counts at an interview, generally speaking, is not "that you are bald and or bearded" but rather how you maintain your current appearance and your knowledge of the job.  If your beard is neatly trimmed, and overall your appearance is clean and neat, that is all you need in terms of appearance.  Let your personality do the rest.

If you currently live in South Africa, you will encounter a rigorous affirmative action policy which is entrenched into LAW.  Here it’s not your "beard" or "bald" or job experience that counts at an interview, but whether you are sufficiently “brown" or "black" or not.  Unfortunately this is a reality we all have to live with here.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »
What everyone's take on being bald and bearded (or goateed) for an interview?

My attitude is that since an employer is not entitled to own me then they are not entitled to make permanent modifications to my body.  Men grow beards.   Men shave their heads.  As far as I'm concerned, an employer consumed with dictating the grooming habits of their male employees is focusing on their own personal, and arbitrary, power trip instead of the business, and that doesn't sound like a great (or stable) place to work.  Remember: your employer will be a major part of your life and it's a bad idea to work with an unprofessional dolt who doesn't know their limits.

BTW: If you want to circle into complete madness then I suggest you read up on what the expert recommends for the process of getting a job.  The recommendations are hilarious because when they aren't impossible to implement or contradictory they encourage you to speak like an insincere generic phony.   You'll come to learn that no matter what you do the experts will say it is wrong.  I honesty believe it is this chaotic in order to headhunters and employment services to justify their existence!

My favorite circle of madness is how a resume is supposed to be accompanied with a cover letter personalized for that company and individual receiving the resume.  The in-the-know sites always assume that's available, and demand that you get it, but often times that information is literally impossible to get.  Sometimes you don't even know the name of the company you are applying with until an interview is setup, but yet you are somehow expected to divine this information from the clouds! 
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
Saintc what a great post.  I will have to concur.  I just had an interview for a new job here in Florida.  They asked me back for a second and now my name has been forwarded to HR.  I hope I start soon.  went to both interviews super sly.  i wouldn't have any other way. 

Offline baldbearded

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »
Doug, your avatar shows no beard. Did you grow it back???

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »
Doug I like the new pic very handsome  :)

Offline Perfected Man

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Perfected Man - Building Better Men
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »
You look tremendous and you should go as you are to the interview.

Better yet, dump the job hunt and start a business of your own. I decided to fire my boss back in the 90's and have not looked back. The problem is that the old thought of working for someone for 35 years and retiring with a nice pension is not viable in this day and age. You can only depend on yourself these days.

Plus, you can sport your shaved dome without worries!!!
Perfected Man - Building Better Men

http://perfectedman.com