Author Topic: Skinhead?!  (Read 21917 times)

Offline scboy28

• Learning the way of Sly
  • I dunno why I never smile for these...
Re: Skinhead?!
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2007, 12:44:22 AM »
It happened to me yesterday in my college class.  A classmate was conducting a lecture on sign language and asked for some volunteers.  She had 4 signs for us to do and she assigned me the letter B.  Since my grandmother had taught me sign language, I already knew it and proudly outstretched my hand...a little too proudly.  It appeared I was giving something close to a nazi salute...needless to say, she had fun with me and the class after that.  They all checked to see if I had Doc Martens on. :*))

Great story!  Love it!!! But listen to this...  The 1st time I went sly was in 2000-01 or so and I was living in South Carolina.  My buddy's elderly dad, now passed on, called me a "skinhead", but I just ignored it.  I also happened to like wearing Doc Martens (still do!).  Not extreme knee high boots with colored laces and all that business but just the basics.  Never had any problems.  I kinda chuckled 'cause it always seemed every aisle in the Piggly Wiggly cleared out when I trotted in...

Here's where it get's interesting---->

I recently found a bunch of pictures I had a buddy take of me with my "new look" to post on internet personal ad sites and such.  I was wearing a t-shirt that was styled like a football jersey that I'd gotten at Old Navy.  The number on the jersey???   88!!!

[There are A LOT of different kinds of skinheads, but the "HATE" oriented groups use 88 as part of their lingo...  H is the 8th letter of the alphabet, as in H__L   H____R!!!]  You all should only wish I was on hidden camera when I dug out those pics, glanced them over, and realized that crazy coincidence!!!

I hope everyone can laugh with/at me in the above story...   I'm truly sorry if I offended anyone, but, c'mon.  What're the odds???

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Skinhead?!
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2007, 06:26:36 AM »
Greg that is an awesome coincidence! But good you can see the irony in it, that's quite funny.

There was a group of 88's in my area of Sydney where I live(Manly) and about 10 years ago the group self imploded when 1 of the members was found to a have a girlfriend who had a Jewish grandmother. So his own brother murdered him and is serving life in jail