Author Topic: Preventing moles/brown spots on head  (Read 8613 times)

Offline briancl

• Sly Jr.
Preventing moles/brown spots on head
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
Is there a way to prevent moles from growing on your head? I notice i have some small ones starting to appear on my head. I tend to get them a lot probably because of genetics, but is it also from sun exposure? Does the use of sunblock prevent it? I'm looking pale because I am afraid to go out in the sun!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Preventing moles/brown spots on head
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:29:25 AM »
Are they moles or brown spots?  Brown spots could be from the sun.  Moles are something completely different.  Either way, you should check with a dermatologist.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline KDusk

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
Like Tyler said, go and see a dermatologist ASAP. I don't want to worry you, it's probably nothing serious since you're saying the moles are small in size. But melanoma / skin cancer could happen to anyone: young, old, male, female, healthy lifestyle or not. Pale skin is an important factor for susceptibility, though.

So just go and see a dermatologist (or your GP, but chances are he'll just forward you to the dermatologist, too). He/she will check your moles and pigmentation marks, and ask you to come back on a yearly basis. Melanoma is relatively easy to treat, but treatment of big moles could leave some serious scar tissue, so it's better to get them checked when they are small.

And just using sunblock won't completely prevent pigmentation of the skin. It's always better to wear a cap or hat when there's no hair on your head to protect your scalp.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »
Another SBG suggesting a trip to your dermatologist--and this Sly Brother just had the last three of six small skin cancers and one precancerous site treated--that's this year's crop :o.  But none on the old dome--that's probably because each and every day it gets a careful treatment with sunblock for UVA & UVB.  My total count on these things is over twenty now, basal and squamous cell types.  The only ones I ever got on the dome were from the pre-sly days when I couldn't put sunscreen on the thinning hair :(.  Melanoma is the really bad one but even those, caught early, aren't much of a problem to cure.
The treatment is totally painless, cure rate is nearly 100%--provided you don't let the suckers grow.  A buddy ignored one, and a basal cell at that, for years until it did finally spread to a lymph node--much painful recovery from surgery and a dose of chemo.  Lesson--catch them early and it's easy. 

Slynito

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »
I go to the dermo doc every year. He loves my shaved head because it makes his job easier. He says most brown things are nothing, but they all must be checked by a pro...he cuts and sprays something on my neck or shoulder every visit. I'm paying now for the dumbassed things I did as an outdoor loving kid.

O0