Author Topic: Days you don't shave your head (Suggestions)  (Read 19816 times)

Slynito

Re: Days you don't shave your head (Suggestions)
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »
I used to face shave with Noxema years ago...I have also used it for a head scrub by adding a little sugar to the mix.

sugar?  ???

now that's odd.  :*))  :*))

No it's not odd...something abrasive is needed to scrub the scalp of dead skin and crud. I prefer a natural substance like fine salt or sugar.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 08:43:25 PM »
I was talking to one of my black friends today and he commented he had to shave his face because it was getting itchy. So, I asked him if his head gets itchy when it grows out and he said no. Since I got him thinking about it, he thought it was strange.

He said if he touches a razor to his face he breaks out so he never tried one on his head. He uses the wahl balding clipper and slowly goes in small circles all over his head. It looks really smooth to me but having dark hair and dark skin would help hide any stubble. And, it looks smooth for a couple days which is a lot more than I can say for my head with dark hair and light skin.

I told him his head may not break out from a razor since his head doesn't itch but his face does and that got him thinking too. If a dermatologist can't help you, maybe the clipper with the circular technique would be an option for you. He did say when the clipper was new he could cut himself if not careful.

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 02:34:16 AM »
do you literally mean sugar, as in you make kool-aid?  ???

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »
I was talking to one of my black friends today and he commented he had to shave his face because it was getting itchy. So, I asked him if his head gets itchy when it grows out and he said no. Since I got him thinking about it, he thought it was strange.

He said if he touches a razor to his face he breaks out so he never tried one on his head. He uses the wahl balding clipper and slowly goes in small circles all over his head. It looks really smooth to me but having dark hair and dark skin would help hide any stubble. And, it looks smooth for a couple days which is a lot more than I can say for my head with dark hair and light skin.

I told him his head may not break out from a razor since his head doesn't itch but his face does and that got him thinking too. If a dermatologist can't help you, maybe the clipper with the circular technique would be an option for you. He did say when the clipper was new he could cut himself if not careful.

i used to use gillette razors. they gave me close shaves but it was TOO close. so i tried shick hydro 5. it work mircales for me. it shaves close but they have guards on the blades which i thought was a huge plus  O0

just like your friend. i used clippers as well, but i use them ofor my faical hair and my neck area.

Offline Highguage

• We're all born bald
  • Sly Jr.
  • Love it smooth
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
I have the same issue with the back of my neck. I shave the same time every week. I shave twice a week. Once on Wednesday and again on Sunday.
Bald is the new black!

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
shave daily and the back of my neck also has the same problem. it's a hassel.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »
I noticed that the last few posters on this thread say that they have issues on the back of the neck.....I may be able to explain why...For whatever reason, back in the day when I got a regular haircut (sometimes the neckline would be blocked, curved or V-shaped) the neck hair started growing back within three days....so with the follicles there sprouting hair so fast, it might be sensitive unlike the rest of the scalp...My suggestion which works for me personally is to make sure you dab some rubbing alcohol there (aftershave in most cases is not enough) and for those of you in the states most drugstores and Wally World sells Bump Stopper for mild bump issues and Bump Stopper 2 for severe bump issues. It works well on the face (given I have to shave for drill weekends) as well as the neck....Good luck to all of you with the bump issues.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »
I noticed that the last few posters on this thread say that they have issues on the back of the neck.....I may be able to explain why...For whatever reason, back in the day when I got a regular haircut (sometimes the neckline would be blocked, curved or V-shaped) the neck hair started growing back within three days....so with the follicles there sprouting hair so fast, it might be sensitive unlike the rest of the scalp...My suggestion which works for me personally is to make sure you dab some rubbing alcohol there (aftershave in most cases is not enough) and for those of you in the states most drugstores and Wally World sells Bump Stopper for mild bump issues and Bump Stopper 2 for severe bump issues. It works well on the face (given I have to shave for drill weekends) as well as the neck....Good luck to all of you with the bump issues.

i just use trimmers for the back of my head.

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »
I read this post and, as with all of the other respondents, I feel your frustration.  There is some truth to ethnicity playing a large role in shaving problems particularly for black men, as well as for anyone with very stiff and curly hair. 
I may have missed it, but I didn't see any mention of what you use to shave with.
If you have been shaving with a multiple blade cartridge, I would suggest that you try switching to a single bladed razor.  The reason for this is that multiple blade shavers tend to cut the hair to a length that retreats below the skin line.  This is believed to be the prime reason for ingrown hairs among those of us with stiff and curly hair. 

My experience has been that I was unable to shave my face at all because I never learned proper technique to begin with.  I experimented with multiple blade cartridges and electric shavers, and still I would get both blade irritation as well as ingrown hairs.
Switching to a single blade and learning to apply good techniques; such as making lather with a brush and good shaving soap, and learning to maintain a proper blade angle as I shave has made it possible to shave regularly and with almost no outbreaks of any kind as long as I continue to shave.  Any time that I miss shaving for more than two or three days will result in my developing ingrown hairs as the new growth gets long enough to turn around and re-enter my skin.

For my head, I have been using a Bump Fighter razor and blades for about a month and I have not had a single ingrown hair nor have I experienced any irritation.
I shave my face and my head every other day and I watch my technique and I follow of my steps diligently.  It takes about an hour out of my day to shave, but I get several hours worth of good face and head stroking pleasure for my effort ... and NO itching.

That's my 2 cents worth.  I hope it helps.

Slynito

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »
Por favor, tell us more about this "Bump Fighter" razor, amigo.

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
Por favor, tell us more about this "Bump Fighter" razor, amigo.
Certainly Slynito.

The Bump Fighter shaver by Personna was originally developed and marketed to black men who have difficulty maintaining a clean shaved face due to ingrown hairs.  The cartridges have a single blade which is partially covered with a guard that will not allow the blade to make full contact with the skin, but will still get close enough to shave the stubble.  Naturally, this will not be as close a shave as you can get with an unguarded blade, however you can apply a bit - a very little bit - of pressure to get closer if you want to.  Also by going lightly against the grain I actually do get close enough shaves to feel smooth in three out of four directions.

One other advantage to investing in a Bump Fighter is that it comes with a nice rubber coated metal handle that has some real weight to it and it will accept other cartridges if you decide to ditch the Bump Fighter cartridges in favor of a more aggressive two blade cartridge such as Atra.  I use them on my head only since I do like shaving my face with a DE razor which is also a single blade rather than the stacked multiples of a cartridge system.  

You can Google Bump Fighter for more information.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:26:10 AM by ProphetNoir »

Offline coyoteguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 08:21:33 AM »
I shave every other day. For me, shaving my head every day became too irritating. I also shave with downstrokes only which also helps to reduce irritation. Every so often, my head will break out in certain spots, which I hate. I guess that is all a part of shaving with a razor!

As for my face, I use an electric razor love it!

Offline usmcpelon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
I shaved daily.  However, every time I miss a day or two and then shave I cut myself badly.  this just happened Monday.  I woke up late Friday, didn't shave, had a busy day Saturday and Sunday without shaving.  Come Monday I shaved and cut myself three time and it look bad.  I still haven't healed completely.

seahawk guy

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
I shave every day - would hate to miss a day. Even if I wake up feeling a bit grotty I always make the effort to shave. Nothing beats the feeling of a smooth shiny head every day O0   

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
I shave everyday. For the past couple months with a blade prior with an electric.