Author Topic: NOT READY  (Read 4483 times)

Offline HIKER48

• Sly Guy in Training
NOT READY
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:46:07 PM »
I went to HCM today to get my hair tuned up. My plan was just to walk away! But when she took it off, the bald guy staring me in the mirror, is just someone I don't recongnize. So I put it back on. I guess I was not ready and honestly dont know when I will be.

So basicially I am sorry! For the those of you that have taken a hairpiece off or just shaved your head, you really do have my admiration.

Maybe someday....

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Re: NOT READY
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »
In your pic you are a handsome guy with a great face structure, great skin. You dont need hair to be successful or confident, or handsome- you are all that now. Maybe try a shorter version of the unit next time ?  I have seen nearly crewcut versions on a friend of mine. I will tell you honestly though that your unit is very obviously not your real hair in that pic. Im sure those that know you can see that clearly. They will respect you more if you remove it and shave. That shows a confidence people really admire and wish they had it themselves. Maybe try it over a long weekend or vacation ? 

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »
I'm truly sorry for you, you still can give it a shot.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline good to be bald

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 05:03:12 AM »
don't is not your time yet , went you are ready  we will be here for you O0. you can still post  is all good :@`

marty22

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 05:48:32 AM »
come back when youre ready. youre not ready at this time.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 06:03:11 AM »
As I said earlier, today, tomorrow, next month--the day is coming when you will embrace yourself.  Also remember, when it came off, you saw a balding, not bald guy--a guy with a horseshoe, hairy toilet seat, Bozo Ring--the SBG guys won't let that grow out either--so yes, without the rug and without the shave to the bone, you don't, can't look your best!  Stick around, read the posts from guys who have and are doing "business" with the rug makers.  I would bet that the staff gave you the usual, "Looks good, etc." BS that they do to keep you mentally enslaved to the rug.  Remember, you're not a client, friend or anything else but income, price and tip to those guys, they just really don't care what you look like as long as you can pay them.   [I have to say though, even though it's just a picture--it is so obviously a rug, no wonder your wife has supported you in getting rid of it!  Sorry, that's just the way it is.] Also, keep your eyes open and notice that the real world is full of guys who have shaved their heads in response to mpb.  I remembered this quote and found it for you--
"The American essayist and aphorist Logan Pearsall Smith : 'There is more felicity on the far side of baldness than young men can possibly imagine.'"  It's so true, so very true--and you will, really you will, find out when you accept yourself.  

And, although it's been done, I wouldn't have the HCM take that dead rat off, do it yourself with a clipper.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 01:42:19 PM by saintc »

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 08:06:35 AM »
Buddy,  sorry that you were not able to take the plunge.  But as others have said, you have good looking features where sly would work.  I have never done a hair system, but I did care about what people thought.  But it can be a good growing experience as a person.  I found for me that it toughened me up.  You are fortunate in that your wife is behind you on shaving it off.  Eventually people got tired of making comments and they know that being sly is "my" look.  When I first started shaving, I was just losing hair in the front.  About a year ago, I grew the hair back as I had surgery and had other issues to deal with.  But it was during that time that I saw I was quite bald.  I am so glad that I never went to have a hair system.  So even if you kept the hair system, keep coming here to SBG.  Also, if you want an excuse as to why you went from a full head of hair to sly, you may want to get rid of the rug on St Patrick's Day.  Why that day, there is a funraiser for cancer in kids called, "St Baldrick's".  So if you did it then you have and excuse and then afterwards you could say that since you were going bald anyway, that you liked it and kept it!  Here are the links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Baldrick's_Foundation

http://www.stbaldricks.org/

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
If you do decide to try going without the piece and shaving down, you know the guys here will support you. 

I volunteered for St. Baldrick's as Marsh mentioned below, so I went from a full head of hair to a shaved head (after the buzz at the fundraiser, I went and shaved smooth) between breakfast and lunch one Saturday.  I was startled when I saw my reflection for about a week, but I knew almost immediately that I liked being bald.  Yes, it's a dramatic change when you first see yourself without hair.  Yes, you have to get over going out in public and seeing people for the first time with a shaved head.  Yes, people will ask questions or make comments.  But those things pass within a week or two.   

My own experience as a bald guy has been good.  My wife and daughters like the new "look" and people at work and neighbors have complimented me.  If your wife is supportive, you've got a great support system right there. 

So when you are ready, you know that we've all made the leap and are willing to help you through the transition.   

One last thing: the human mind adjusts very quickly.  Within about three weeks I had a hard time remembering what I looked like with hair or even what it was like to have hair.  The same thing happened with friends and coworkers - after about a month, several people said they had a hard time remembering what I looked like before I began shaving my head. 

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 08:43:26 AM »
For those of us that didn't wear a hairpiece before going sly the change wasn't so drastic. You're reaction is understandable. You might consider trying again when taking a vacation for a few weeks. Nobody else knows you & it gives you a chance to adjust to the new look. 😄

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »
Good luck with your decision,. Take your time and do it when You are ready. We will be here to support You.

It took me awhile to adjust but it helped me to build my self confidence. Now I don't care what others think. I like the look and the decision I made to do it and that is what counts.

Welcome to SBG.

Joe

Offline seanmil666

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
No reason to apologize.
Just not ready yet.
I would recommend not removing the fir at the hair center, because they will not support your decision to go sly.
Do it at home with the family where they care about you, as opposed to the hair center which sees you as simply a sucker supplying them money.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
You must, of course, do this on your own timetable.  But please be aware that most of us never feel 100% ready to take the plunge, especially those who have advanced MPB and for whom there is no going back to a relatively full head of hair.  Most of us need to be encouraged, cajoled, or even prodded into doing what must be done.

It's clear that you're not happy wearing your "system" or you never would have joined this forum.  The image you saw in the mirror when it was taken off was not you at your very best.  You're never going to look your best until your remaining hair is shaved and even then it will probably take about 30 days to get used to it.  But like ripping a band-aid off a healed wound or entering a swimming pool of cold water, it's really best to just do it quickly and get it over with.  There will be a little apprehension when you meet people for the first time directly afterwards, but you can't imagine the relief and freedom you will feel once you get beyond that.

I also have to agree with those who said that the piece you're wearing in the photo you posted does not look natural and it's highly unlikely that it's fooling anybody.  I hope that doesn't offend you or cause your further angst, but what is needed in situations like this is 100% honesty.

I suggest that you pick a date by which you'll have ditched the piece and shaved and polished your dome.  Maybe around the holidays or an upcoming vacation or long weekend so there's no immediate pressure about facing people at the office.  You'll get a big boost in confidence from doing it, not only because you'll look better but because you had the strength to see it through.

Good luck.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
Sorry to hear that is how it went.  Like most everyone has already said, you saw a "balding guy"...not a SLY BALD GUY.

Whenever you choose to go SLY...I'm confident you will love it.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
I respect your sentiment of being not ready at this time but keep visiting the forum for inspiration and support. Best regards.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Slynito

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 10:58:25 PM »
If you're not ready, so be it. It's your decision, right?  O0