Author Topic: Met up with old co-workers  (Read 9712 times)

Offline anton86

• Sly Guy in Training
Met up with old co-workers
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:28:39 AM »
I met up with my old co-workers today for a meal to catch up. They havn't seen me since I have shaved my head and I was really anxious. Most of them were negative saying they preferred me with hair which has really put me on a downer. Did any of you guys receive negative reactions from people that saw you with hair?

Thanks

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Met up with old co-workers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »
You ddn't shave your head for them so what difference does it make... :D

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
Question 1   Do you like it?
Question 2   Does it make you feel better about yourself?
Question 3   Does your significant other like it and/or support your decision?
Question 4   Of the former co workers who were critical about it - did any of them ever seek your opinion on a grooming choice of their's?  Did they follow your advice?

in other words - be true to yourselfand the rest of the world can go...........
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
Hell I did.
but it's a free world, so I can do whatever I want, whenever I want
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Do they like you    or your hair ??????? :o :o :o :o

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
I didn't receive much at all in the way of negative reactions. I'm thinking that waving the gun around helped with that.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
Yeah, makes me sort of glad that I'm perceived as a psychopath that would go off on anyone speaking badly of my appearance.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
I didn't receive much at all in the way of negative reactions. I'm thinking that waving the gun around helped with that.

It couldn't have hurt. Funny how that quiets a room down.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
Who on earth takes advice from their co-workers? Do these people really have meaning in your life?

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »
Did any of you guys receive negative reactions from people that saw you with hair?

Sure Anton, there were several that said they preferred seeing me with hair. But the person that mattered the most loved the bald look.

8)

Offline anton86

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22:09 AM »
Who on earth takes advice from their co-workers? Do these people really have meaning in your life?

No but some of them are woman around my age, and I would like to think that woman would think I still look OK not worse. I mean my haircut (hairpiece) was really bad when they knew me so being told I looked better then than I do with a shaved head must mean I look really bad now.  :(

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »
Opinions are going to vary and not everyone is going to like your shaved head.  That doesn't mean that other people won't, so don't put too much stock in the opinions of these people.  You have to do what makes you happy.  You clearly weren't happy wearing the hairpiece, so you did the right thing in ditching it no matter how many people tell you otherwise.   What you need to do now  -- and it's admittedly easier said than done -- is draw a line under the past and move on.  Maybe you did look better a few years ago when you had more hair.  Maybe we all did.  But the cold hard truth is that going back to that is not an option.  All you can do now is do your best with what God gave you to work with.  And 99 times out of 100, for a balding guy, that means shaving his head.  Dwell on the future, not the past.  It will get easier with time, so hang in there.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 09:53:02 AM »
I first shaved my head many, many years ago.  Not to please friends or co workers but to express my individuality - i got kidded but secretly enjoyed it.  If I grew hair again (if I could) I would now go thru the same comments in reverse.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:05 AM »

No but some of them are woman around my age, and I would like to think that woman would think I still look OK not worse. I mean my haircut (hairpiece) was really bad when they knew me so being told I looked better then than I do with a shaved head must mean I look really bad now.  :(

First, don't put too much stock in what female co-workers say. The reason? The old saying "don't dip your pen in company ink" comes to mind. These women are/should be off limits in terms of dating because nothing will screw up an otherwise good working relationship than dating. I'm sure I'll hear all kinds of exceptions to this rule and I'm sure that there are some legit ones. None the less it is/should be the rule. If, for no other reason, that you might not want to be dating someone that you have to see all day long at work.
Second, and I'm ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that I'm gonna hear about this but I'm saying it anyway. It is truly the rare woman who thinks of function ahead of form. What I mean is that what is most practical may not be the most beautiful in all but that rare woman's eyes. So the practicality of shaving one's head over how it initially looks makes perfect sense to the vast majority of men but all but those rare women worry more about how it looks and what other people may think about it than the practicality of ditching the overly expensive rug or the emasculating drugs in favor of scraping the skull.
Basically, don't listen too hard to any of the opinions of the women that you work with.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Slynito

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
Yup the Buddha says a mouth full...ain't no ramrod that wants his working stock bred. ;)