Author Topic: Met up with old co-workers  (Read 9711 times)

Offline anton86

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Met up with old co-workers
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
Who on earth takes advice from their co-workers? Do these people really have meaning in your life?

No but some of them are woman around my age, and I would like to think that woman would think I still look OK not worse. I mean my haircut (hairpiece) was really bad when they knew me so being told I looked better then than I do with a shaved head must mean I look really bad now.  :(

First, don't put too much stock in what female co-workers say. The reason? The old saying "don't dip your pen in company ink" comes to mind. These women are/should be off limits in terms of dating because nothing will screw up an otherwise good working relationship than dating. I'm sure I'll hear all kinds of exceptions to this rule and I'm sure that there are some legit ones. None the less it is/should be the rule. If, for no other reason, that you might not want to be dating someone that you have to see all day long at work.
Second, and I'm ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that I'm gonna hear about this but I'm saying it anyway. It is truly the rare woman who thinks of function ahead of form. What I mean is that what is most practical may not be the most beautiful in all but that rare woman's eyes. So the practicality of shaving one's head over how it initially looks makes perfect sense to the vast majority of men but all but those rare women worry more about how it looks and what other people may think about it than the practicality of ditching the overly expensive rug or the emasculating drugs in favor of scraping the skull.
Basically, don't listen too hard to any of the opinions of the women that you work with.

Ha, well I have done that before and it was a disaster so never again.

What I meant is that these woman are the same age range that I would meet say in a club or something. So that's why there opinion put me on a downer a bit. My thinking is, if these woman my age have a negative view of my appearance now, that that will be the same view that woman the same age in a bar would have.

I am just hoping that maybe it was just because it was such a drastic change that is why they didn't like it so much.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
Completely different environment, and women you meet out and about will not have seen you any other way.

Decide what you want to do and do it. Living your life trying to do what everyone else wants isn't ever going to make you happy.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 06:49:14 AM »
SlyBear's comments are on the money.  Women who you meet when you go out will not have seen you any way other than sly.  The women at work are probably reacting to the "big change", but give it time and most of them will come around to your new appearance.  The important thing is that you choose what you want.  If you like being sly and feel better about yourself, that's all that really matters. 

Offline MarkVegas

• Learning the way of Sly
  • new pic
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 12:55:20 AM »
I met up with my old co-workers today for a meal to catch up. They havn't seen me since I have shaved my head and I was really anxious. Most of them were negative saying they preferred me with hair which has really put me on a downer. Did any of you guys receive negative reactions from people that saw you with hair?

Thanks

100% negative; best comment I received was "well, it doesn't look THAT bad...". Been 14 months now, nothing has changed. A few female friends I've had for years just dropped of the radar after I went 'sly'.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:34 AM »
My folks hated the fact that I had shaved my head.  My dad is gone now and my stepmom still doesn't care for it.  But since she now knows how much more hair I have lost, she no longer gives me any grief for it.  But I also had some friends who gave me a bad time for it!  But as you keep your head sly, you will probably have people start shutting up about it!

marty22

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
welcome VEgas!

Offline RobMia13

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »
I really think its just because its a shocker for someone who's used to your hair. I never saw you with hair and you like fine to me bald. I've noticed that the only people with negative reactions are the people who knew me before the change. People don't like change especially the ignorant ones. Don't take it too hard man everyone will get used to your look.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »
Keep sly it looks fantastic , and if you like it keep it , be confident about yourself

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »
Anton86, 

You are a very attractive guy.  Don't listen to thos stupid women, they don't know what they are talking.  you probably don't want to hear this from another guy, but you are HOT!!!  Don't let anyone tell you any different.

Bald is Bold

balddaniel

Offline ZerroDefex

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »
I went sly during a week away from the office while on field assignment and stopped by just before work ended as it was the day for the company bowling tournament. In my case the reactions were overwhelming positive, though I got tired of "so what was the bet that you lost?" by the 4th time I heard it and just ignored anyone who asked that question. As for the women, there was only one who implied that she missed my hair but she still liked the new look.

Offline SuperGreg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »
For some reason coworkers seem to be the worst.  Today is my first day back to work since shaving, got a mix of "Wow", "Looks good", and about half "Did you lose a bet?" / "What happened to you?" / "Why did you do that?".  There are plenty of guys who work here who were already BBC, and it's different because they've always been that way.  Even when I look in the mirror I'm still surprised a bit, so I'm sure it's the same for everybody else... just give them some time to get used to it :)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 02:24:06 PM »
just give them some time to get used to it :)

BINGO, the sly man scores a bulls eye on the bull $hit! b@n*

Offline SuperGreg

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
I just thought of something else since marty said people don't like change.  People will try to keep you from doing things that are good for you.  I don't know why, but it seems to be human nature. You buy a new car, and you hear about how Car & Driver thought xyz car was better.  You go on vacation, and you hear about how you should have gone to abc country instead. 

When my dad was younger and first married, he had a menial job and went to night school to learn a trade and get a better job.  A coworker of his told him not to bother, and said "Man, guys like me and you just stay in a job like this for life."  Luckily he didn't listen to him, and eventually owned his own business doing electrical contracting.

So, in short, screw 'em.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »
  People will try to keep you from doing things that are good for you. 
So, in short, screw 'em.
So true, but I have a question. I've asked this of some others who had mixed reactions to their new found freedom from mpb, do the people, or at least the guys, who gave you grief have obvious signs of mpb?  Do they need to get real with themselves?