Author Topic: Can't be sly because of huge forehead  (Read 57114 times)

Offline anton86

• Sly Guy in Training
Can't be sly because of huge forehead
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:40:41 PM »
hi guys,

I joined this forum in 2008 as I was balding and wanted a solution. The reason I couldn't shave was because I have a really big forehead. So in the end I chose to go the hairpiece route  :-[ and have a frontal piece but still have my own hair at the back of my head.

Anyway the last 2 years have been hell and I have been really depressed  :( because I hate wearing a hairpiece, it looks terrible and doesn't look natural.

I have to shave (well buzz really) my thinning front hair for the partial hairpiece so I know what I look like shaved and its bad, my forehead looks huge and it just makes me cringe even looking.

I feel totally helpless and lost, I haven't got a clue what I am meant to do, I feel terrible wearing fake hair, I can't just grow my natural hair as it is really baldy at the front and I don't feel like I can shave because of the size of my forehead.

My life is totally on hold at the moment and I truly hate it.

Has anyone had these thoughts about their forehead? Any advise from anyone would really be great.

Thanks

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Can't be sly because of huge forehead
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »
A picture would help!

It's like this, you shave your head and there is no more forehead, just head.  ^-^

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Arty Chris

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »
As simply red says, a picture would help...

But I'd be surprised if sly wouldn't suit you! I spent a good few years thinking that I loved the hair and hated the bald bit, so why should I shave it all off? But I discovered that being sly rocks!!!!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »
you shave your head and there is no more forehead, just head.  ^-^
Red

O0

You could give sly a try. It's only a haircut and only costs the price of a blade, if that. If you don't like it you can always go back to the hairpiece that you hate.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »
Let's look at your options:

1.  Continue wearing the rug
2.  Ditch the rug and keep your hair cut the way it is
3.  Shave your head

You're clearly unhappy with option #1, so let's rule that one out.  So now you're going to have an exposed, bald forehead no matter what you do.  There is no question that it will look bigger under option #2 than it will under option #3.   It won't stand out as much when all the surrounding hair is removed.

So, it looks like #3 is the only viable option available to you.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 08:01:39 PM »
Nice analysis by Razor

Anton....I been with this group for 5 years now....lots of folks come around like you....totally defeated and depressed about attempts to "fake it."

Ain't seen once...NOT ONCE...someone who scraped it clean who--not only didn't regret it--but was TOTALLY LIBERATED by sportin' the shiny melon, man!

Go for it.  Put the past in the past and move forward boldly....think of it as an EXTREME MAKEOVER for anton!!!   The confidence and true sense of self you will enter into will spill over into every other area of your life, brother O0

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »
It is true that a big forehead is an illusion created by the hair growing above it, even if it is receded hair giving the "impression" of a high forehead. That is an illusion that disappears once the higher high line is erased by shaving or buzzing down to the skin. Maybe photoshop a picture to prove it to yourself. Or look at all the photos in the gallery here. Not one high forehead remains.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
Christina Ricci has a massive forehead and it has nothing to do with the position of her hairline.  It's caused by the fact that she has a massive frickin' forehead.  Some people really do have foreheads that just protrude out really far and there's nothing that can be done with that.

That said, and I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you do have a massive forehead casued by the shape of your skull then your hairstyle won't matter.  Think about it:  Does the long hair of Christina Ricci or David Cook (that AmericanIdol singer) mask their massive foreheads? 

Moral: Whether you're shaved or not you're still going to look like you have a massive forehead so you might as well have the hairstyle you prefer.

If you forehead's apparent size is caused by a hairline, and it very well may be,  then my comment is moot.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 05:32:20 AM »
Sorry bud, I just don't get it; you're okay with having a supposed huge forehead with a dead hair hat on it?? :/O

Offline anton86

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 06:47:11 AM »
Sorry bud, I just don't get it; you're okay with having a supposed huge forehead with a dead hair hat on it?? :/O

I guess it was because my whole life I have had a fringe/bangs to hide my forehead. So with the hairpiece, I just stuck with the bangs/fringe hairstyle to keep hiding my forehead.

Thanks for all the replies. I have attached some pics for you to see what you guys think. The ones that are further away from the camera look the worst I feel.   :-\

By the way, the reason I have my hands of my head is to hold my hair back so I can see the shape properly.

Please be honest with me, do you think it would be best to just grow my hair again into what would be left of bangs/ a fringe?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:31:45 PM by anton86 »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:08:47 AM »
It doesn't look large or abnormal in any way to me.  Your hairline is very receded and that will make it seem more prominent.  Shaving will make it seem less so.  And like Rusty said, your forehead is what it is no matter what you do.  And you're going to be bald no matter what  you do, so it really comes down to are you better off completely bald or partially bald? 

I had the same kind of frontal recession that you're experiencing and didn't lose much hair in the back at all until the end stages, so I can honestly say that this pattern of hair loss is absolutely the worst and doesn't look good on anybody.  It's what creates the Bozo the Clown look, and the only way to avoid that is to shave off every hair.

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:21:33 AM »
OK Anton, here's my opinion.  You have a very nicely shaped oval face.  If the longer hair of the sides were gone it would accentuate the very nice shape of your head.  Also, your eyes are a very nice feature of your face.  Being Sly is all about focusing on the positive attributes of your face.  You've got some nice facial features which will be very prominent if you shave your head.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:23:28 AM »
Clearly, what you have going on here is a case of body distortion. You actually do not have an overly large forehead, your forehead seems to me to be perfectly normal. This is akin to a woman with a knockout body who, when she looks in the mirror, sees a fat girl looking back. Remember, the purpose of these "hair loss clinics" with their "doctors" are nothing more than glorified wig shops staffed by overpaid imposters who rely on human insecurity for their living.
In exploiting a person's fear of being "less than....." I think they have crossed the line that separates quackery from actual evil in that they make the transition from "first, do no harm" to actually causing harm (emotional, financial, or physical) and they do it with a smile.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 08:06:11 AM »
Let's look at your options:

1.  Continue wearing the rug
2.  Ditch the rug and keep your hair cut the way it is
3.  Shave your head

You're clearly unhappy with option #1, so let's rule that one out.  So now you're going to have an exposed, bald forehead no matter what you do.  There is no question that it will look bigger under option #2 than it will under option #3.   It won't stand out as much when all the surrounding hair is removed.

So, it looks like #3 is the only viable option available to you.

Infallible logic! I agree. The hair is your problem, not your forehead.

DOIT!
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 08:19:16 AM »
the purpose of these "hair loss clinics" with their "doctors" are nothing more than glorified wig shops staffed by overpaid imposters who rely on human insecurity for their living.  In exploiting a person's fear of being "less than....." I think they have crossed the line that separates quackery from actual evil in that they make the transition from "first, do no harm" to actually causing harm (emotional, financial, or physical) and they do it with a smile.

Wow!  Nicely stated!!

I would add to the good points that Red stated, that you have a KILLER set of eyebrows, man.   That's a TOTAL ASSET right there brother.