Author Topic: Double edge safety razors  (Read 14388 times)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Double edge safety razors
« on: July 03, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »
I'm intrigued by double edged safety razors and thought I might give one a try for shaving my face. I'll still use the HB for the head.

So............. tell me what you think of them, what brand you use, and what blades are your favorites. A few suggestions on web sites would be nice too!

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Double edge safety razors
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
Brave dude!  I remember hearing the sound of the double edged safety razor as my father shaved his face.  I also remember sneaking a try with a very new and developing beard--and the resulting blood.  I'll stick with the newer systems, but the memories of that sound, the smells, and all the other associations of my father's rituals removing his beard will be with me forever. 

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:15:31 AM »
I'm intrigued by double edged safety razors and thought I might give one a try for shaving my face. I'll still use the HB for the head.

So............. tell me what you think of them, what brand you use, and what blades are your favorites. A few suggestions on web sites would be nice too!
Mike: I use one. It's definitely worth giving a shot...you can start with a retro one like our dads used, available on ebay. Or you can invest in a nice new one. Mine is a Merkur. You have to modify your technique a bit, namely the angle at which you hold it to your face and most importantly, you don't apply much pressure if any at all. I'd suggest a sample pack of blades so you can see a preference.

And even though you plan to stick with the Headblade for your dome, you"ll have to at least give the DE a try on your head. It really does a great job, just takes a bit longer.

PM me with any other questions or if you need a link or two!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:41:24 AM by Rob6 »

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 09:15:06 AM »
Make sure you stock up on toilet paper. (There will be blood).

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
I'd really like to get one for the sole fact that I could theoretically hone the edge on one of those blades multiple times.

Offline Titus13

• Bald guy in New York
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »
The only way to go for shaving your face
GI

Offline slybronco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:50:53 PM »
Agree Saint those memories are good. I too sneaked in a shave ith his razor don't remember cutting myself. One of my fondest memories is my dad taking me to the barbershop for my first shave, I think I was like 12-13. Funny how I have a difficult time growing a beard. :x!

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:50 PM »
Mike,

I have tried a double edge razor before but have gotten more nicks from using one. I need more practice I guess. I do know about not using too much pressure.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes for You.

:)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
I have very coarse facial hair.  I've never had a better shave than that of my double edge razor.  I have shaved my face exclusively with a double edge razor for at least 10 years.  Prior to that I'd tried many triple-blade options.  All of which provided good shaves.

However, I have sensitive skin. I've discovered that while I have to be a bit more meticulous and slow with a DE, I make fewer passes. Fewer passes, I assume, has resulted in less irritation.  As a result, the overall time spent shaving is less.

That said, using the DE also meant I was using mug soap and applying it with a natural bristle brush.  When I used the Mach 3, for instance, I used Edge gel.  I don't know why, but I never tried mug soap with the Mach 3, and conversely, I've never used anything but mug soap with the DE.  For all I know the better shave is a result of the mug soap and the brush.

In either case, I always shave in the shower with a mirror.

I've always been sentimental.  I like shaving with the same razor my grandfather used, along with the same vintage Old Spice shaving mug. I never knew my grandfather (he died prior to my birth), but he handed it down to my father who prefers the more modern razors.

(I also drink my morning coffee from a mug my late aunt used.  I remember over 35 years ago the ritual with which she drank her coffee from that mug.  Spilling about a third of the coffee into the saucer for it to cool.  She'd even set the mug back down into the saucer.  Then, she'd go flip the bacon---come back to her mug, and pour the cooled coffee from the saucer back into the mug.  While I just drink scorching hot coffee straight from the same mug, I think of her ritual every time I pour a cup.  When I pick up that razor, I often wonder about the ritual my grandfather must've gone through while using it.)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 07:04:52 PM »
Dude.... I love the stories about your Grandfather and Aunt. Awesome.

Offline snb

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 01:06:55 PM »
Been using a DE daily for face and head for over 10 years.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
Make sure no vampires are lurking around... >:D

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »
I just started wetshaving. I was using a merkur hd 34c and I just upgraded to a merkur futur. I use them to shave my head and face. Mind you shaving with a double edge safety razor takes some practice and you have to prepare your face. The initial investment is a little expensive (for me at least,) however the benefits are immense. I was getting nasty neck irritation when I was using the five bladed torture device know as the fusion. I currently use merkur razor blades and I found a diamond in the rough with persona double edged razor blades.

I shave using vanderhagen shaving soap and real shaving, shaving cream with an inexpensive tweezerman badger hair brush. At first I got nicked up on my neck, because I was putting too much pressure on the handle. Here are some links for wetshaving with an old school double edged safety razor. These guys have helped me out a lot. Let me know if their is anything else I can to help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
http://mantic59.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/geofatboy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awet+shaving&keywords=wet+shaving&ie=UTF8&qid=1315495104
http://www.shavenation.com/

Shop around to get the best prices for products. Its going to take some extra time to prep but its so worth it. I get a nice shave. The razors themselves are inexpensive. The stainless steel razor handles will last almost forever if you take care of them. They blow away the multiblade torture devices.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Great info Grizzly! Thanks!

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »
Your welcome. I am enjoying the forums. Its nice to hop on a forum where the participants have manners and are helpful. You will love shaving with DE razor once you get your technique down. To be honest my neck got nicked up a lot the first two weeks. I am using an adjustable de razor now and its much better.

Enter your email address: