Author Topic: Double edge safety razors  (Read 14396 times)

Offline SlyAggie

• Sly Jr.
Re: Double edge safety razors
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
I just started off with DE razors and so far I'm loving it!

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:10 AM »
Another Merkur user here, and the Merkur blades are terrific. But ONLY on my face. I've tried it on my head once or twice with unfortunate results. Luckily, I come from a time when a DE was the norm and Remington was fighting to get even a small market share. If I'm really pressed for time I don't really need foam or some other shaving medium. Also, the Merkur razor and blades are almost an economy measure. Look at the price of five blades from Gillette or Shick or whomever. A Merkur blade lasts a very long time and is less expensive for ten then the going rate for five single edges.

Offline JuniorNA

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »
I use a merker shorty with feather blades. Same routine for 10 years and I would never to back.  It's the most comfortable shave you can fine. The blades are extremely cheap and you are also extending its legacy by not falling into the trap of the marketing monsters. My grand father used the same type of blade in WW2 and there is a reason the DE razors are still around. Simply amazing

Offline SeattleSparky

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
www.badgerandblade.com

Best resource out there for shaving! Be forewarned though, they also have a fountain pen section!! As well as tea, BBQ, etc......, all of the manly stuff. A very fine bunch of gentlepeople there (men and women)!! Enjoy the adventure!! I myself got sick of the price of blades and discovered them about 2.5 years ago and have never looked back!! I have even started DE shaving the dome, although for quick mornings I do still use my HeadBlade.-Keith

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 06:31:16 AM »
Double Edge Safety razors are my latest fascination for three reasons.  This method of shaving is a skill that must be acquired and this offers me a challenge.  Secondly, it brings a connection with the past, the good old days when there seemed to be more quality time available.  Shaving is my personal grooming space and I like to take my time.  It makes me feel good about myself. (I have a similar affection for fountain pens and tobacco pipes.)  Lastly, I like the idea of not supporting the multimillion Dollar cartridge industry.

A few weeks ago I bought myself a cheap famous South African DE Brand made by “Lion”.  It has a plastic handle.  I don’t like cheap but the sad thing is I do not have many options.   I have yet to find a shop here in SA where I can walk into and buy a quality DE razor like a Merkur, Gillette or a Parker.  I know I can order one on a website but I have never done made a purchase online before as I hate the idea of paying import duties.  So my plan is to scout around antique shops and flea markets until I find one.  I will even buy one from someone whose grandpa has kicked the bucket as I don’t mind sterilising it.

So far my experience has been positive.  I love the whole Badger Brush and shaving soap ritual, no other shaving method equals it. I get a close shave for next to nothing and I intend practicing it until I become a DE master.

For my head, there is nothing like the HeadBlade.  Perhaps one day I will pluck up the courage to do my head with a DE.

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Enter your email address: