Author Topic: Looking for a summer dieting plan  (Read 5359 times)

Offline TeenSlyGuy

• Feeling so sly like a bald guy
  • Sly Guy in Training
Looking for a summer dieting plan
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
My current nutrition intake isn't the best at the moment but I plan on changing it up during the summer.  I'm currently 164 6'3 and I'm looking to put on about 20 lbs but due to the high metabolism it is quite the struggle. I heard that having about 6 meals a week is a good idea. Any takes on this would really appreciate some advice

8)

Offline SlyCanuck

• Sly Jr.
Re: Looking for a summer dieting plan
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
Congrats on your initiative.  Here is my 2 cents.  Eat your six meals a day.  Try to make sure that they are equal amounts of carbs and protein.  Try to get in atleast 160-200 grams of protein a day.  Eat lots of clean carbs in your meals - potatoes, oatmeal, etc.  Drink lots of water.  Train hard.  Good luck.
Help a bald brother out.  We are entered in a contest to win $5000 based on votes for our video.  If you have a facebook account, click on the link and please vote! http://teammysask411.com/winbig-vote/view/user/colleen

Offline DaniloNuntz

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »
I recommend eating 5-6 small meals per day.  Not only does eating often help increase your metabolism, but it also helps you avoid cravings by keeping you full throughout the day.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »
I recently watched the video "Forks Over Knives" and my wife and I thought enough of what was said there to buy the book as well. What they advocate is a plant based diet which provides more than enough protein to fuel the human machine without adding potentially damaging elements of the "face-based" (anything with a face) diet.
To be sure a vegan diet is difficult to maintain and we are big fans of the Friday night fish fry so we have not become strict vegans. But perfection being the enemy of good enough we have assumed that if we are able to eat a diet that is roughly 85% vegan (I guess that makes us vegetarians?) that we'll derive sufficient benefit to see an improvement in overall health.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:16:31 AM »
Would like to head in that direction but finding it hard to convince the family.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »
I tell ya I had a hard time convincing myself. I was of the school of thought that chicken and beef was the key to fitness. But if you watch the movie pay close attention to Bill Maher's little piece at the beginning where he talks about where the profits are with regard to diet and physical fitness. That part is what set the hook for me because I see it every day.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 01:54:01 AM »
I know it's been a while since this thread became kinda inactive but I have some info regarding the effects of the "vegan" (+ fish fry) diet that I've been on since the end of August. I had my annual employee health exam done and here are some of the results. I'll include last year's results for comparison.
Blood Pressure: Last year, 128/72, this year, 118/78.
Glucose: Last year, 107, this year106.
Total Cholesterol. Last year 195, this year 172.
Triglycerides: Last year 110, this year 53.
HDL (good cholesterol): Last year 50, this year 51.
LDL (not-so-good cholesterol) Last year 123, this year 111.

With the exception of the diet everything is pretty much the same. Big changes are cholesterol and triglycerides. So I think I'm gonna stick with this diet.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »
I would like to purchase a high metabolism, where can I get one?

Seriously...I wish I had your problem as I am on the opposite end of it.

I've heard the same about 6 meals either way (small portions for people like me).

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
Over the last three months, I've lost about 10 kilos (25 pounds). I'm average height and weight about 74 kgs (158 lbs). What's partly motivated me is that think I look better with a slimmer face and bald look. Definitely feel in better shape now that I've lost some weight.

My own route to a better figure:
exercise: cycle to work every day - 11 mile round trip
diet: average of 2,200 calories including the 5 per day of fruit and veg. And less alcohol.

And no fizzy/sweet drinks. Just water. And virtually no pointless calories like cakes, cookies, potato chips, burgers, doughnuts, pastries, chocolate.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
DOnt worry about  yourself  , eat a  healthy  balanced  diet  , eat when your hungry  and  dont force feed yourself with  greed  or bingeing  ,Eat the food you enjoy  and let your  body and mind decide  , ethically  non meat  is good  if thats  what you want  . The only thing to up in the summer is fluid intake  and lots of nice  fruit  and vegeatbles

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
I recently watched the video "Forks Over Knives" and my wife and I thought enough of what was said there to buy the book as well. What they advocate is a plant based diet which provides more than enough protein to fuel the human machine without adding potentially damaging elements of the "face-based" (anything with a face) diet.
To be sure a vegan diet is difficult to maintain and we are big fans of the Friday night fish fry so we have not become strict vegans. But perfection being the enemy of good enough we have assumed that if we are able to eat a diet that is roughly 85% vegan (I guess that makes us vegetarians?) that we'll derive sufficient benefit to see an improvement in overall health.

I just saw Forks Over Knives. Found a place on the net streaming it for free.. also Hulu Plus has it.  It's very compelling. I stopped eating all processed foods a while back, but now because of this video, I want to want to get rid of dairy and all animal based foods too. That's gonna be really hard because 1) I love fish and chicken and 2) I'm working out and weight training to build muscle and bulk up. For this I need to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight a day. For me that's 140 grams of protein. hard to get in a plant based diet and do it with enough variety of foods so i don't get bored.. and also on my tight budget.

I am worried about heart disease and I'm borderline hypertension. I  quit smoking last year after 22 years.

To the Op best thing I can tell you is don't look for a summer diet program. Look for a lifestyle change in eating habits. even if you lose a few lbs over a few months, you will put it back on once you resume your old eating habits. In body building they stress the way to lose weight is to eat about 300 calories less per day than you need normally and do cardio exercises while eating this way. For this you have to know what your normal caloric intake should be and measure your foods daily so you don't go over your number plus 300 less. They all say this way is guaranteed to lose you weight in a healthy manner without losing muscle mass or starving yourself. In theory you could do this with Twinkies but that's not healthy and will give you problems in the long run. use only healthy foods while losing weight this way. This is fine only if you can maintain eating the healthy foods and not start eating junk.. like I said, a lifestyle change in thinking about food. best of luck.