Author Topic: Need Help Making the Decision to Go Bald  (Read 17243 times)

KJTQ29

Re: Need Help Making the Decision to Go Bald
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
Thanks!  My wife said a great comment to me this morning, "it's an exotic new look around the personality I know and love, so it's the best of both worlds."  She's already making sure I have the right sunscreen for the new dome when we go on vacation later in the summer!  Any suggestions on sunscreens?

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 11:47:26 AM »
from my limited experience most of them seem to work well.  just remember that your scalp has been shaded for life so go with a higher SPF to start than what you may think you need.  also, until you're sly you don't realize how much your scalp does sweat so make sure it is  sweatproof. 

another thing to consider trying from the beginning is the Jergen's Natural Glow, it will help to blend your newly sly scalp in with the balance of your head that has  had a lifetime of sun exposure.  it is a reliable self tanner and when used according to directions you get a natural color from it - not an orange.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
I just went sly for St. Baldricks.

You should see if there is another one relatively close by that you can do sooner. In my area there were many listed.

I had a full head of hair and just went and got it done. When I got home I gave it the close shave and love it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 11:57:06 AM »
The particular spf will depend on your skin, very high for fair easily burned, there are brands that go to 90+, and don't for get a good hat--even with sunscreen you may feel the sun more than you are comfortable with initially.  Second, sunscreens need to be reapplied regularly when you're in the sun for long periods of time.  Third, try several different brands, some are "greasier" than others and you might not like that sensation. 

KJTQ29

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 12:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice, especially about the Jergens.  I'll start with a high SPF since my skin burns pretty easily, so I can only imagine the scalp will really burn!   I have a few caps to help as well, although I'll visit the hat shop near my office once I'm sly to get something other than a cap. 

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »
Go for it  - -you will look great  - - -and it makes you look younger  (no more gray)  Enjoy and welcome to SLY BALD GUYS
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:25:59 PM by mangosink12572 »

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »
Any suggestions on sunscreens?

Do internet research on substances such as Oxybenzone in sunscreen. This is one of a number of substances commonly referred to as "synthetic estrogen" that are used in most sunscreens. I guess the jury's out as far as a conclusive verdict that the S. E.s have on men but questions have been raised with regard to these substances possibly reducing sperm counts and possibly encouraging the growth of carcinoma/melanoma type skin cancers.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

KJTQ29

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »
Good advice.  Also, thanks TJ for the advice on sweatproof sunscreens.  When I exercise now, I can practically wring out my hair it's so wet.  Counting down the days to becoming sly!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:15 PM »
  When I exercise now, I can practically wring out my hair it's so wet.  Counting down the days to becoming sly!
If you don't already, bring your OWN towel to the gym, putting that bare skin on the equipment can expose you to things that aren't always what you might like!

KJTQ29

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »
I usually bring my own towel to shower and use one of the small ones the gym provides for wiping my forehead and neck.  Good advice, though to just bring my own for both purposes. 

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but about how long does it take for the skin on the scalp to have the same coloring as the face and neck? 

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
That depends on your own complexion, how much time you spend in the sun, how often you shave, what sort of shadow you get from the remaining hair roots, etc.  It's tough to say, different for each one of us.  I can tell you that I'm at the 2 month point (hard to believe it hasn't been forever) and I still see a difference  where my hair remained still being lighter.  I have used the Natuarl Glow and made a definite point of getting the noggin exposed to moderate amounts of natural sunlight.
TJ

[/url]

KJTQ29

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 01:07:42 PM »
I've got a fair complexion and work in an office, so natural sunlight is more a weekend thing, but fortunately, summer is coming.  I'll have to make it a point to get more sunlight when I can, being careful not to burn the scalp - a problem with fair skin. 

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
get a thing of the Jergens Natural Glow.  It comes in  regular and express as a normal moisturizer =I've used both.  The express will darken you up in less  than half the time of the other.  If you have existing skin issues there is also a facial version that I have not had any experience with.  I'm guessing you will want the type that is for lighter complections.
TJ

[/url]

KJTQ29

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2011, 02:23:17 PM »
I'll look for it at CVS or Walgreens and be ready.  My skin is generally good, just very fair and the fluorescent office environment isn't really very helpful either.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 03:09:11 PM »
walmart and target both carry it for about 2 bucks a container less. 
TJ

[/url]