Author Topic: Vibram Five Finger KSOs  (Read 12970 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Vibram Five Finger KSOs
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:05 AM »
I am wondering if any of you on here have tried/use the Vibram Five Finger shoes? I am due to replace my running shoes and these caught my interest. If anyone has used them please let me know what your thoughts are on them.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Mens.htm

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:32:29 AM by |Doug| »

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Vibram Five Finger KSOs
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
Not yet, but they do look very compelling to me. I think I'm going to order a pair, I'd wear them for hiking.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »
They are supposed to make your running/walking more natural and closer to running/walking barefoot.

Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »
My order is out, let's hope it doesn't take long before I can test them. :)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »
My order is out, let's hope it doesn't take long before I can test them. :)

Cool! I plan on ordering mine on Saturday. Let me know what you think of them.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
Sure. And thank you for the idea.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »
I ordered mine yesterday. I'll let you know what I think of them.

Who will get them first?  :*))

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »
Well I got mine this afternoon ;D and tested them on a short trip. I chose the Trek Sport model BTW.
Putting them on took some time, but they fit very well. They are much lighter than the shoes I usually wear for hiking. I also wore toe socks which I ordered with the shoes.
Especially between the toes the feeling was quite odd at first. After a while I got used to it.

As you can see on the map, the trip was mainly through woods and grasslands, plus short sections of asphalt and cobblestones.
On the fields I stepped into some mud and puddles, but my feet felt wet only for a few moments.
When I came home after 2 hours I already felt comfortable with the shoes. They were pretty dirty (Pic), so I washed them in the sink.

All in all I think these shoes are making the walking experience better than usual as they promise. They're a little pricey but to me they are worth it. O0
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »
A friend of mine swears by those shoes.  He was describing the theory behind them and I got really interested, and I went out and tried out a set.  Unfortunately for me, they don't fit the curve of my toes at all.  The big toes fit fine, but the final 2 don't go into the slots. 

One thing I was told is that you should not run much in them at first.  Since normal shoes basically act like a cast, do too much of the work of supporting and cushioning the feet, and then your feet undergo atrophy.  So if you immediately switch to those shoes your feet won't be able to handle intense actions like running for very long.

One of the things I learned is that standard shoes cause a person to run by landing on their heels and that causes a shock straight up the body right through the knees.  He said that standard shoes designed for running actually encourage running injuries!  These Vibrams encourage your body to run by landing with the middle of the foot and that causes your foot and calf muscle to absorb a lot of the shock.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:45:34 PM »
  Well I got mine this afternoon ;D and tested them on a short trip. I chose the Trek Sport model BTW.
Putting them on took some time, but they fit very well. They are much lighter than the shoes I usually wear for hiking. I also wore toe socks which I ordered with the shoes.
Especially between the toes the feeling was quite odd at first. After a while I got used to it.

As you can see on the map, the trip was mainly through woods and grasslands, plus short sections of asphalt and cobblestones.
On the fields I stepped into some mud and puddles, but my feet felt wet only for a few moments.
When I came home after 2 hours I already felt comfortable with the shoes. They were pretty dirty (Pic), so I washed them in the sink.

All in all I think these shoes are making the walking experience better than usual as they promise. They're a little pricey but to me they are worth it. O0

Wow! That was fast. I'm glad to hear that you like them. I ordered the regular KSOs.

One thing I was told is that you should not run much in them at first.  Since normal shoes basically act like a cast, do too much of the work of supporting and cushioning the feet, and then your feet undergo atrophy.  So if you immediately switch to those shoes your feet won't be able to handle intense actions like running for very long.

I've read that about them. I plan to ease in to running in them. I've even read that they help train your body to help you run on you fore/midfoot even when you put regular running shoes back on.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 06:42:01 AM »
One of the things I learned is that standard shoes cause a person to run by landing on their heels and that causes a shock straight up the body right through the knees.  He said that standard shoes designed for running actually encourage running injuries!  These Vibrams encourage your body to run by landing with the middle of the foot and that causes your foot and calf muscle to absorb a lot of the shock.
My shoes usually wear off at the outer side of the heels first. When walking on solid grounds I noticed the Vibrams don't adsorb as much as regular trekking shoes. You do have to walk differently. However, the ability to feel the grounds your walking on is incredible, even on cobblestones. We don't have any mountains here though.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
My shoes usually wear off at the outer side of the heels first. When walking on solid grounds I noticed the Vibrams don't adsorb as much as regular trekking shoes. You do have to walk differently. However, the ability to feel the grounds your walking on is incredible, even on cobblestones. We don't have any mountains here though.

You might want to research the Pose Method® or Pose running. There are videos on YouTube as well. Since incorporating this running technique into my training, I have been injury free. And beating my PRs consistently.

The Vibrams, though their instant feedback, will help you perfect this perfect style of running very quickly.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
You might want to research the Pose Method® or Pose running. There are videos on YouTube as well. Since incorporating this running technique into my training, I have been injury free. And beating my PRs consistently.

The Vibrams, though their instant feedback, will help you perfect this perfect style of running very quickly.

Thanks for the tip.....I came across some of those videos while researching these shoes. I'm glad to hear that the method helps with injuries. I've been fairly injury free with my running but every now and then one of my knees will act up.

I've started to try the Pose method in my current shoes with some success. I really think the Vibrams will help perfect the technique. I can't wait to try them.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »

I got mine yesterday! A few days ahead of the projected delivery date.  O0 They are great.

Noggin - how are yours on their fit? I have maybe .75-1 cm of space in each toe. From what I've read that is a good fit but I wanted to see how well yours fit.

I took them for a test run last night and they really do make you work different muscles. I can't wait to get to the point where I can do most of my runs in them.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 05:04:07 PM »
I have the KSO's and wear them everywhere like normal shoes. You learn to walk with the forefoot hitting the ground first rather then the heel. My background is more anti-shoe than most I guess as i have always preferred being barefoot and went through college barefoot half the time every day. I plan to buy more of these. They didnt work during the winter though so had to wear boots etc. I am planning to start running again and I will use these and also plan to just run barefoot now that the weather is warmer. But these are being wore more and more here in Chicago. I see guys wearing them at the gym and out in stores etc. I take a kettlebell workout class and the instructor wears them or is barefoot. For a kettlebell class we stand on padded rubber mats and you really have to learn to use your feet muscles and toes to balance and grip the mat when working with the bells hence they tell you to be barefoot or in Vibrams for this class.
Generally I think we are all brainwashed to believe we must have shoes on that are like cement casts to "protect" us from the world when all that does is ruin your foot muscles and cause them to atrophy. These are an advance toward a more sane approach to shoes. It is strange to get used to placing toes in separate slots but I have found Vibrams mold to your foot after a while and slipping them on does get easier so dont be discouraged. It is sort of like walking around in just socks all day and who wouldnt like that comfort ?