Author Topic: Vibram Five Finger KSOs  (Read 12971 times)

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Vibram Five Finger KSOs
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 04:30:25 AM »
... I have maybe .75-1 cm of space in each toe. From what I've read that is a good fit but I wanted to see how well yours fit.
It's about the same except for the big toes which almost touch the front of their pouches.

I'm planning to wear them for a whole day (including at the office) next week and see how this goes.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline BuzzKC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:41:31 AM »
I've owned a pair for about a month and really like them. I think what Rusty said in a an earlier post is true, running shoes typically act like a cast and I definately always landed heal first. The first week or so my feet were a little sore but I could tell I was landing more mid-foot and engaging my toes alot more. Knee pain has decreased to nothing. The only downside--now I can't stand wearing dress shoes all day.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
How are you guys making out with these?  I'm considering a pair though I'm not sure I'll get past feeling silly in them.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
This week I finally managed to wear them at work on 2 days. Got quite a few questions about them from my colleagues. Compared to the sneakers I usually wear they were much more comfortable, my feet didn't get hot/sweaty. Almost like walking around on socks.

Tried them on a short bicycle trip today, but the soles are too soft for this.

Sailor, it's like when you go sly. You think everyone's looking, but not for long. Try them.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
They've been great for me. I did have to stop using them for a litte while though. I am training for a 10k at the end of this month and I just could adjust to them adequately in such a short amount of time. Once the run is done I plan to work on running in the full time.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »
I wear my KSO's everywhere now. I see guys at the gym in them and women. ALso people outside running in them.

If you like your feet free and able to use foot muscles and feel more of what you are walking on you will love them. I see more and more people out and about in them now that winter is over. If you like being barefoot you will love these. Be sure to get the right size. Mine are 1 size too big judging by the little toe of each foot coming out of its section if I wear them too loose.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 07:11:19 AM »
I've been walking around in "water shoes" since the weather got passably warm a month or so ago for the reason given for the existence of these shoes. I have been curious for a while about them and the fact that they are made by Vibram spoke volumes in terms of what could be expected, quality-wise. Yesterday I was looking at the Vibram Five Fingers website and found a local dealer that happens to be my favorite outdoor goods retailer so I called them and, VOILA! They had the exact pair I was looking for (all black KSO) in my size in stock.
For me it is a labor to put them on. Not so bad on the left foot but I have had a couple of injuries to the right foot, like uncorrected broken toes, which make it complicated to put one on the right. But after wrangling my toes into the toes of the shoes and walking around a bit I think that these things are magical.
If you can imagine having crooked and bent toes that are suddenly straightened and set free by a mere pair of shoes then you know what I'm talking about. It was like having a normal right foot if even for the time that the shoes are on. And they do feel strange on my feet but not in a bad way. I walk around in them and my feet feel like normal feet. Now I have had these injuries for around 40 years so I have no fantasies about the shoes correcting my toes but they sure do feel nice while they're on. I haven't tried jogging in them yet because the salesman cautioned giving my feet sufficient time to acclimate but it is definitely doable at some point.
My opinion of Vibram Five Finger KSOs:  O0 O0
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline thegreatswalmi

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
sounds like they're getting a bunch of good press, these vibrams.  anyone able to speak to sizing them? I'm always nervous ordering shoes online, but trying them on here isn't overly easy (one or two retailers and they're always out of stock).  Thoughts?

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 11:50:36 AM »
I used the measuring guideline on the site and the ones I ordered fit well. They should be a fairly snug fit.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
sounds like they're getting a bunch of good press, these vibrams.  anyone able to speak to sizing them? I'm always nervous ordering shoes online, but trying them on here isn't overly easy (one or two retailers and they're always out of stock).  Thoughts?

Put a ruler (12"-18" stick-type) on the floor with the 0" end against the wall. Place your foot on top of the ruler with your heel against the wall. Make sure that the ruler stays against the wall, too. Then just see where the end of your toes comes on the ruler. They have a sizing chart on the Vibram website and the inches and fractions thereof will be translated into Euro sizes. My foot (Size 14 or 15 US depending on the shoe) measures at 11 7/8" which translates to a size 47.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
How are you guys making out with these?  I'm considering a pair though I'm not sure I'll get past feeling silly in them.

You know how a lot of sly guys encourage newbies by mentioning how little others really care about our heads?  It's true, but I think that logic is even more pronounced when it comes to shoes.  Unless your foot is some sort of unexpected color that catches the eye, most people won't even notice.  If they do notice they'll speak up because these are such odd shoes people want to know what they are.  If I were you I'd get a basic dark or beige version and not some version with wild colors.

This reminds me of a scene in The Shawshank Redemption that was geared around the fact that people don't notice what another's shoe looks like.  

The only people who are going to care are the hyper-superficial who expect people to wear the exact style of the moment, and I for one couldn't care less about pleasing those types.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:10:20 PM by Rusty Shackleford »
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

DO NOT BUY A PAIR ONLINE UNLESS YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT A SPECIFIC SIZE FITS OR AREN'T CONCERNED ABOUT THE RETURN PROCESS.

I tried these a year or two ago and the size that fit my foot did not fit my little toes.  It sucks because I really want to give these shoes a real trial, but my little toes just didn't reach in.  This thread is making me want to go out and try them again even though I already know they won't fit.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline thegreatswalmi

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 02:13:08 PM »
thanks rusty.  i'll work on finding a pair to try on.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
This is a case of "I wish I'd found this forum earlier".

I have five finger vibrams and wear either those or my Birkenstocks EVERY DAY!!!  (Birk's more in the AZ summers).

My best friend and pastor  (John) clued me into them. He is a marathon runner and they were designed for running first and foremost.

RULE NUMBER UNO - ONE- FIRST!!!!!

DO NOT PUT THEM ON ONE DAY AND RUN A MARATHON THE NEXT DAY!!!!! you WILL break  your foot. 

For years you have been running wrong and the vibrams teach you to run right.  Check out the barefoot runner (google him) or others, my friend/pastor John got them and started wearing them. After one MONTH he ran 3 miles in them. after ONE YEAR he ran his first half marathon. after 18 months he ran his first full.  IF YOU RUSH you will regret it. 

I hope (REALLY HOPE) that this info does not come too late for anyone here. 

As you know, I have M.S. and can barely walk much less run, I wear them for comfort but above all, they keep my muscles tone and body from deteriorating.  They also don't allow me to "shuffle" and drag my feet. 

Do I suggest them? I think EVERYONE should wear them.  80% of the time I'm in my wheelchair, but when I am able to use my walker, I LOVE wearing my five-fingers. 

AKA Gimpy