Author Topic: In college, how to lose weight.  (Read 9694 times)

gmac221

In college, how to lose weight.
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
I am a freshman and college and of course I want to avoid the freshmen 15 lol.  I was wondering how I could lose some weight while being in college?  Any tips?

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
Re: In college, how to lose weight.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »
Have you heard of Dr.Fuhrman?  If not, go to www.drfuhrman.com
Order his book Eat For Health and follow his advice on what to eat.
You will lose weight and feel great.  O0

And no I do not work for Dr.Fuhrman. 

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:32:01 PM »
Burn more calories than you consume, and stay away from the ramen noodles.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »
I am a freshman and college and of course I want to avoid the freshmen 15 lol.  I was wondering how I could lose some weight while being in college?  Any tips?
consider joining and using your college gym.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »
Burn more calories than you consume, and stay away from the ramen noodles.
Second this one--temptations in college, ordering a pizza at 10p for the study break, eating pastries or sweets in the Student Union with your coffee, grabbing a bag of chips on the way to class, and the worst of all, skipping breakfast.  Eating a good breakfast, not coffee and donuts, but skim milk and unsweetened cereal, etc. will help control binge eating during the day between classes. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »
Checkout the 4 Hour Body by Tim Ferriss - I've lost 16 pounds since February by following his slow carb diet - http://amzn.to/k2xqhM
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline johnssimpsons

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:53:36 AM »
To lose weight in college. Here are some tips:
1. Avoid junk and fried food.
2. Drink plenty of water.
3. Go for early morning walk.
4. Do exercise and Yoga daily.
5 Take green tea.

Offline Ravenangel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »
I hope I do not sound arrogant, but I have another question.

Why is it so important for you to lose weight?

I ask this because I used to suffer from chronic eating disorder, I even was in the "clinically anorexic" stage a few years ago, and I know how it feels when your whole life is about "calories, working out, losing weight, rules, safe foods, guilty foods" and so on. You see, I am not Catholic, but back then I did believe that Hell existed - since this wass what I had to live in.

This is my main reason to recommend that you should consider: why losing weight is so important?
There are many individuals whose long struggle with eating disorders begun with an "innocent" weight-loss diet.

I honestly do not wish to tell you what your opinion should be. I just wish to share my views.

As long as your weight does not cause any serious health problems - like too high blood pressure, diabetes, difficulties in everyday life -, it is much better to try to accept yourself as you are.

And, you are a college student. You likeably need an enormous amount of energy to go to lectures, seminars and practices, prepare for the exams and so on. If you use your strength on dieting and weight loss, you will probably have less energy to do the school things right.

I do not want to tell you what to do, or what not to do - but I do recommend that you should consider what the important - and the less important - things are in your life.

I honestly hope that you did not take this for an offense.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 02:19:50 PM by Ravenangel »

Slynito

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »
When I was in college I studied a lot, but I kept the pounds off chasing girls. I was so horny the the crack of dawn wasn't safe.

:*))

Offline georgedepp

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
I used to suffer from chronic eating disorder, I was even in the "clinically anorexic" phase a few years ago, and I know what it feels like your whole life is about "calories, working out, losing weight , Rules, safe food, nutrition guilty "and so on, you see, I'm not Catholic, but when I believed that hell was. Since this was what I had to live in

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 10:23:18 AM »
Have you heard of Dr.Fuhrman?  If not, go to www.drfuhrman.com
Order his book Eat For Health and follow his advice on what to eat.
You will lose weight and feel great.  O0

And no I do not work for Dr.Fuhrman. 

I agree with the Dr. Fuhrman recommendation. There are other's with similar eating plans.  Kill all sugars and artificial sweeteners. Might take a few weeks to get used to this, but it is worth it.  Watch your wheat and corn and white potatoes. They turn to sugar quickly and have the same effect.

Read about 'leptin'.

Visit www.sparkpeople.com (great free site for health, fitness and diet). 

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »
   Watch what you eat and exercise.....................pretty basic I know but if you eat crap all the time and sit on your ass then most likely you'll gain weight. No big secret,Good luck!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »
If you've got your own place, cook your own food. Easier to control what you eat.  College cafeterias are not generally known for having super healthy, fresh, raw foods. They tend to cater to fast foods and American processed foods, fried and sugar loaded.

But some schools do have good choice, if you pick carefully.

Offline bough

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
It is quite simple my friend,just avoid unhealthy food which we usually eats in our college life and try to eats healthy food like vegetables,fruits etc.Second the main thing is do some physical game or exercise like running,swimming,jogging,gym any game you like,because these will help you to burn your calories very quickly.

Offline Bucksfan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »
Have fun - get involved in the intramural sports program, get together with some buddies to shoot some hoops or lift some weights... etc. 

As many have said, watch out for the lousy food that permeates college campuses, and of course watch beer intake. 

Enter your email address: