Author Topic: A Beards Story  (Read 7610 times)

BaldBradley

A Beards Story
« on: November 20, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »
(I hope I put this in the right section, I figured since I'm growing a beard and not shaving, that this would be best suited for the beard section, and not the face shaving section)

Alright after a couple days of thinking I have decided to go through with trying the 90 day beard challenge. I'll update this thread as often as I can, sofar I am on day 5. I haven't had any itching, but I'm sure that'll start within a week.

Right now the only maintenance (if you would call It that) is washing my face with some clean and clear shine control stuff because my forehead gets a little shiny through out the day. I am also going to keep using my acne control kit by clean and clear, I've only got a couple days worth left though. And lastly, I will wash my face with antibacterial soap once a day.

I have completely dedicated myself to this experience/experiment. I have obsessive compulsive disorder, so I'm sure there will be times I struggle, but this is going to be my own little exposure therapy challenge. Any support will help, because I am going out of my comfort zone as fat as my OCD is concerned.

So here I go, wish me luck.  :*))

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: A Beards Story
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:23:03 PM »
Good luck Bradley! You can do it!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

BaldBradley

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »
Thanks bud .
O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
Itching doesn't happen until 10 days or later.  Get some good conditioner, Mane & Tail works for me, and rinse don't shampoo every day.  Itching is the taxes on the pleasure of having a beard.  Pay your taxes, enjoy the beard. 

Read, mark, and take to heart the lessons at :
http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/topic/3688

If you do you'll wind up with a beard.  Whether you like it you can decide in 6-8 months. 

BaldBradley

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
Itching doesn't happen until 10 days or later.  Get some good conditioner, Mane & Tail works for me, and rinse don't shampoo every day.  Itching is the taxes on the pleasure of having a beard.  Pay your taxes, enjoy the beard. 

Read, mark, and take to heart the lessons at :
http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/topic/3688

If you do you'll wind up with a beard.  Whether you like it you can decide in 6-8 months. 

Wow thanks buddy, that list was really helpful. I really like #4, Your beard looks better to other people at a distance than it does to yourself in the mirror. Artificial lighting and camera flash often look a lot different than real life, and #20, Never EVER trim or shave when tired, not feeling well, sleepy or under the influence of alcohol or drugs!

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »

I have obsessive compulsive disorder, so I'm sure there will be times I struggle, but this is going to be my own little exposure therapy challenge. Any support will help, because I am going out of my comfort zone as fat as my OCD is concerned.

So here I go, wish me luck.  :*))

I have OCD too.
Don't get too obsessed about your beard.Just grow it and enjoy.(Personally,I don't like myself facially unshaved)
Go for it,Buddy!(and,of course,we're here to help and support..... ;))

If you can't beat them,Shave them.....

BaldBradley

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
Cool atleast someone knows what its like to step out of your comfort zone. My OCD is against pretty much all body hair in general. Thanks for the support  8)

[Edit:] Today is day 8 (or is it 9?), sofar so good. The itching phase hasn't started yet, so I'm a little lucky. Washing my face often really seems to be helping though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:06:45 PM by BaldBradley »

BaldBradley

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 04:56:22 PM »
I'm however many days in (to lazy to check my phones calender), and its still going. I must have skipped the itch phase or something because it hasent been bugging me at all except for last night, but that was because I couldn't sleep.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »
REAL itching doesn't start until week 2 or 3 and you won't have what can be called a beard until week 8-12.  Patience.  We know you have an issue with that, but that is the answer, patience. 

BaldBradley

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
Just an update.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
You're at the hard part, some itching may start, but you'll be looking at it all the time and only seeing what you think isn't right.  Be patient, stick with it, without even trimming a neckline for 30, yes thirty, days.  Then hold on for 3 months.  Sly, 20 minutes, beard 3 months minimum!  Got it?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
It's looking good.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
Just an update.

That looks so cool!  Keep growing!

BaldBradley

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
I don't think it looks good. I want to shave my neck and trim the stray hairs at the top or my beard. I don't have anyone to show me how to trim it  :-\

My beard isn't really itchy,  but being able to.feel the hairs below my bottom lip is a little annoying.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 07:17:02 PM by BaldBradley »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 08:33:34 AM »
I don't think it looks good. I want to shave my neck and trim the stray hairs at the top or my beard. I don't have anyone to show me how to trim it  :-\

My beard isn't really itchy,  but being able to.feel the hairs below my bottom lip is a little annoying.

You're right in the most problematic part of letting a beard grow--you only see the problems not the promise.  Now you have to dig down and find some patience and let it grow--at this point it's far too early to know what and what not to trim.  Given time, my guess would be you'll have a really respectable beard, but it requires patience.  Hold on, it only gets better. 

Enter your email address: