Author Topic: Using HeadBlade-How long does it take you?+irritation  (Read 4951 times)

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
Using HeadBlade-How long does it take you?+irritation
« on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:29 PM »
My entire shaving routine takes between 20-30 minutes,which seems a lot.(I shave both my face and head)
Before using the HeadBlade it took me only about 15 minutes,from start to finish.
I've been using the Mach3 and a shaving gel.(no aftershave or anything else)
Today I use the HeadBlade with the HeadSlick,put on the Shinny HeadLube,put on Gillette's aftershave,and get a better shave,though it takes longer.
Other than that,I get irritation on some of spot on my head,usually around the ears,on the left side of my head,(I'm right handed),and sometimes on the back.
Is the time it takes me to shave normal?
And what about the irritation?(it's not so bad,but still)
I should mention,that I place the ring between the first and second knuckles of my hand,as shown on the HeadBlade website,but sometimes I just can't keep the pad on my head,which might be a reason for the irritation,as the blade is the only thing that's touching my scalp.
Thanks,
Yohai.

If you can't beat them,Shave them.....

BaldBradley

Re: Using HeadBlade-How long does it take you?+irritation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:00:49 AM »
I just got a Headblade the other day, it seemed to take longer to shave with it for me aswell. I don't use any of that other stuff you mentioned. I just throw on some Schick hydro gel and go to work.

I bet it's just taking us longer to shave because we are not used to using the HB yet. I've gotten so used to shaving with a disposable razor that I could be done on about 12 minutes. How's the Headslick and Headlube treating you? I've been thinking about getting them, but haven't had the extra money lying around. Also what's the Gillette aftershave like? I've never used aftershave before and want to know what I'm missing O0

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:06:42 AM »
Guys,

The irritation you are experiencing could be something as simple as pressing the HB too hard against your scalp as you are shaving, or going over the same spot too many times.

Also those nagging little patches of redness could be occurring by shaving against the grain.

As long as I've been at this, I STILL get a bit of irritation now and then, but the symptoms have been greatly reduced since I discovered that by mixing one of the SHAVING OILS with my preferred shaving gel, I get a much closer shave with little to no red patches.

Two of the most popular shaving oils are Shave Secret (found@ Wally World) and King of Shaves Oil (found@ CVS Pharmacy). Each are VERY REASONABLY PRICED (under $10)

Hope this helps, but I'm sure you'll get lots of other helpful suggestions/ideas/solutions from many of the other SBG members as they log in and see your post.

Take care and best of luck.

- Cap'n Noodles -

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 05:53:34 AM »
How's the Headslick and Headlube treating you? I've been thinking about getting them, but haven't had the extra money lying around. Also what's the Gillette aftershave like? I've never used aftershave before and want to know what I'm missing O0
Headslick is a great product,but I can only manage to use it with a shaving brush.
I've seen people on youtube that just use their hands,and so was told me here on the boards,by other sly guys.
The Headlube is OK.
I have the glossy version,and it does make your dome shine,but,I ride a bike,and have a full helmet,and I think that it causes me redness on my forehead,as well as on my dome.
I'll try not to put it tomorrow,and I'll report to you then.
In general,it's a good product,but a greasy one.
The Gillette aftershave is for my face only.
It has a good smell,but I can't say if it lasts long enough,as one cannot smell his own odor well,at least in my case.
It ain't cheap,though.(about 15$ in Israel)
Hope I gave you enough info on the products.
Cheers,
Yohai.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:58:12 AM by YohaiM »

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »
It takes me  less than 10 minutes to do everything  - - -After a while it gets easier and goes fast - -sometimes I miss spots and have to go back  - - -and that's normal  - - - -not very often I will get a red spot  - -and in no time it goes away

Enjoy your slick melon  - -I love mine and still love to feel it after years

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:43:40 PM »
I just got a Headblade the other day, it seemed to take longer to shave with it for me aswell. I don't use any of that other stuff you mentioned. I just throw on some Schick hydro gel and go to work.

I bet it's just taking us longer to shave because we are not used to using the HB yet. I've gotten so used to shaving with a disposable razor that I could be done on about 12 minutes. How's the Headslick and Headlube treating you? I've been thinking about getting them, but haven't had the extra money lying around. Also what's the Gillette aftershave like? I've never used aftershave before and want to know what I'm missing O0

Don't try and go too fast with the HB. You will regret it

Gillette aftershave is very good. I use it a lot.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 02:54:52 PM »
IIRC you're using the HB double blades. I don't use them anymore because they feel aggressive on my scalp, leading to irritation and nicks.

Head and face shaving takes me about 12 to 15 minutes, depending on my day's form. A little irritation now and then goes away after applying after-shave balm.

Don't try and go too fast with the HB. You will regret it
This cannot be stressed enough!
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:26:22 PM »
I will agree with everyone else, and say that there is a steep learning curve with the HB.  Second I will say that in my experience that the blades that come with the Headblade for a lack of words SUCK.  Gillette Sensor 3's are the only way to go.  I get a smooth shave every time and NO cuts or irritation ever for me.  Check out your local Walgreens or Walmart and look for Custom Plus 3's they have the same head as Sensors, but are cheaper.  Make sure you use the black adapter that came with your HB.  There is a thread on here that will tell you all about it. 

BaldBradley

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
I timed myself today and it only took twelve and a half minutes. I'm pretty meticulous, and don't like missing any spots. I put on some Bald Guyz moisturizer gel and I don't have any irritation. I find that its a little easier to shave by the back of your ears by just holding on to the 'ring' part of the Headblade.

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 05:45:55 AM »
The shave today took me 15 minutes.
I got some red spots in different areas of my head,and irritation,as usual.
I didn't put on the HeadLube,and boy,I felt the HeadLube was missing.
The irritation didn't settle down,so I put some lube when I returned home,but still my head is irritated.
I'm supposed to get the black adapter from HeadBlade via mail,and I hope I'll have better luck with the Sensor blades.
I use a shaving brush and the headslick,but don't wet my head and face at all,as I only put on the great lather I create in a bowl.
Maybe that's my mistake,as I should wet my head first.
When I just got the HeadBlade,I used a gel,and it clogged my blades all the time,even though I rinsed it thoroughly.
Maybe a shaving foam is better?......
Thanks for any advice from you guys,
Yohai.

BaldBradley

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 06:04:53 AM »
Try soaking a hand towel or wash cloth in hot water and than put that on your head/face (which ever you are shaving). The warmth will open your pores and that'll help out. I shave when I'm in the shower everyday, so I wet my head before, during, and after shaving. I've heard a few people on here recommend Schick Hydro shaving gel, I bought a can, but am still working on my shaving cream so I can't say if its good or not.

The sensor blades are supposed to be better than the standard Headblade blades, the sensors should help you out.

I get the red spots after I shave, I wash my face and head and put on some anti shine acne stuff on, than I was it off with cold water, that seems to help out. Than I put on Bald Guyz moisturizing gel.

Hopefully something I have said will help you out, I know I've had a couple shaves that really irritated my scalp...

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 06:20:46 AM »
Hey there... Face & head Normally take me 20-25 min fm start to finnish. I don't do all the extras. Just gel or cream and a reg blade. The better the blade ... the less the irritation. I normally jump in shower after but if not, it's works best for me to wash shaved areas with soap & cool water (not just rinse). Sometimes rubbing alcohol helps with the break-outs (if any). ...BUT.. I just had my fist Laser session cpl wks ago, so for now at least.. It's only taking 2-3 min for full shave right in the shower... That's just for now tho,, I know with this process the growth rate will vary throughout treatment.

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
Today I put water on my head and face,and stirred up the brush a little more,to get a better lather.
Some of the irritation just went away,some still exists,but it feels like a good progression.
I felt a better sliding motion of the headblade,as lubrication was better.
I use a very cheap brush,and have ordered a badger one a couple of day ago from the states.
Anxious to get it,so I can see if there's a difference.
To sum it all up:Lubrication is the main key to not get burns,cuts,and red spots.(except for not pressuring the blade)
Will report later,
Yohai.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:21:39 AM by YohaiM »

BaldBradley

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 11:16:47 PM »
That's cool, I'm going to have to go get some Headlube (is that what its called?)

Lately I've been using Barbasol shaving cream and its pretty bad, I need something that won't wash off with water easily.

Also I want to mention that I've heard a few people on here say that 2 blades are better than 3.

Offline YohaiM

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:37 PM »
Headslick is the shaving cream,which doesn't clog the blades.
It comes of easily with water,but,you won't need more than one layer,unless you do multipasses.(with the grain,and against the grain)
As I mentioned,it creates a great lather when using a brush.(I'll tell you if a badger one is better,when I get it)
HeadLube is the cream you use to keep your head cool,moist,and less irritated after you shave.
It comes with a matte or glossy finish.(I prefer the glossy one)
The glossy is greasy,don't know about the matte.
Cheers,
Yohai.