Author Topic: What is your diet and fitness regime?  (Read 15753 times)

Offline edwardsewell

• Learning the way of Sly
What is your diet and fitness regime?
« on: October 30, 2010, 05:43:24 AM »

I have a very sedentary life-style as I work in an IT firm. I have very little time for exercise and I eat what the caterer at work provides. I'd like to have a fit body and wondered if there is any diet or a fitness regime I could follow to be fit.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: What is your diet and fitness regime?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:39:32 AM »
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »
 ;D       :*))
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:33:21 PM »

I have a very sedentary life-style as I work in an IT firm. I have very little time for exercise and I eat what the caterer at work provides. I'd like to have a fit body and wondered if there is any diet or a fitness regime I could follow to be fit.

There is all kinds of books, gyms , fitness programs, lack of time is not an excuse. Start with 15 min. a day make it a habit. When you see some progress you will make time for longer workouts. W3!ght
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline kelly123

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 04:34:14 AM »
I think the best diet to remain fit is a balanced diet. You must follow a nutritious rich in all content of food diets so that proper input could be given to the body, so that it shows some good results as a fit body.

BaldRob

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:04 PM »

There is all kinds of books, gyms , fitness programs, lack of time is not an excuse. Start with 15 min. a day make it a habit. When you see some progress you will make time for longer workouts. W3!ght

I'm going to agree with Magoo here... time really isn't an excuse!  I work a ton of hours each day, plus travel, but I make time for working out every day.

As far as your diet is concerned, go to the store and buy stuff to take to work... sandwiches, soups, etc, or make enough dinner to have leftovers the next day and take that with you.

You are not going to get fit by wishing for it... it takes dedication and a lot of work.

Offline johnssimpsons

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »
My diet and fitness programs are:
1. I used to get up early in the morning and go for walk.
2. Eat bananas and milk in breakfast.
3. Take green tea.
4. Avoid junk food.
5. Eat fruits and green vegetables.

marty22

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 06:12:20 AM »
is this spam?

Offline BalDon

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 07:55:04 AM »
Lat April,  I had ballooned up to 220lbs and very out of shape.   My wife convinced me to stop eating all breads, potatoes and sugar.

Happy to say I'm weighing in at 163lbs today!

Didnt go nuts on exercise either,  lots of walking (20k steps daily according to a pedometer)

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »
Resistance exercise & a clean diet. More info than that requires more info about you such as height., weight, age, waist measurement ,current diet etc.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
I have to agree with Magoo and BaldRob - you can't use lack of time as an excuse.  I know because I used it myself for many years (I regularly work 60 hours a week), but a couple of years ago, my wife gave me a membership to the Y as a Christmas gift.  I was annoyed at first, but started going after work a couple times a week.  I did a simple cardio routine (treadmill and bike) and honestly didn't see much progress for a while.  I stuck with it, though, and began making the routine more rigorous and added some of the machines.  I now go to the Y about 4 times a week (Saturday morning is a great time - gets me out of bed, the place isn't crowded and I feel great all day).  I also cut certain things out of my diet (potato chips, Snapple iced tea, french fries) and added others (more fruits, vegetables, and fish).  Lastly, when I snack, I eat the portion size that's listed on the package instead of eating as much as I want.   

The results have been good - dropped 30 pounds (and a couple waist sizes), sleep better, feel more alert, better concentration, more energy, etc.

The main thing is just getting over the inertia.  Once you start, you'll have to push yourself at first to get into a routine, but once you do, it becomes self-sustaining, i.e., you'll just want to keep exercising because you'll begin to see the results.

Good luck and don't wait too long to start!

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
I'm trying to break out of this "see-food" and "non-existent exercise" routine.

Although my diet has progress the last month and I take many organic vitamins and supplements.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
Arnie -

I love food and I love to eat.  One benefit of exercising is you start to really enjoy food without feeling guilty.  I'll look a something and think "well that's a half an hour on the treadmill."  It kind of a way of keeping things in check without going to a bread and water diet!

For exercise, just start with a long walk a few times a week.  It'll help!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 11:00:42 AM »
Remember one of the best exercises doesn't require a lot of time, change of clothes, or trip to the gym--

Push away from the table!  And never, ever eat standing up!

Offline Ravenangel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »
Well... in my opinion, there should not be too strict rules.
It is indeed good to be in good form, but it is not the best choice to be a fittness freak.

My rules - I try not to stick too strictly to them, but these has proven to be the best:

- Eating as little "artificial" food as possible.
- Real food. Fresh veggies. Grains. Beans, lentils, chickpeas. Interesting and stimulating - but not over-stimulating - spices and herbs.
- Spending as much time in the free nature as possible.
- Doing some exercises every day. Even if I do 10...15 minutes every day, that's okay.
- Not allowing everyday frustrations to take over me.
- More green tea. Less black tea, less black coffee, and especially: no energy drinks. They have a very bad effect on the heart and blood pressure.
- If I go out and socialize, it is preferable to not drink anything that is stronger than beer. Preferably not drink more than 4...5 beers.

So far, these rules seem to be good, easy to keep and somehow I feel normal.
I know from experience that it can make your life a living hell to try to become a Prophet of Healthy Way Of Life...