Author Topic: What is your diet and fitness regime?  (Read 15762 times)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: What is your diet and fitness regime?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
One good rule to live by is "nothing in excess". It's one of the mottos of the Greek god Apollo.

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
Very true that much depends on the individual, but a few things apply to everyone.

1.  A combo of diet and exercise is best.  Sitting around and paying no attention to what you eat isn't going to get you anywhere.  You must make time for exercise and observe some nutrition guidelines.

2.  Some healthy heart exercise for half-hour 4 or 5 times a week is great.  If you have not been exercising at all, just walking will really help.  Later, though, you will want to do something that really works up a sweat.

3.  Doing some weight training 2 or 3 times a week will build muscle and help with weight loss (Odd how it works, but both can and will happen if you are way overweight now.)  Working with free weights is best, but try to get a few pointers from someone who knows what they are doing.  A few sessions with a personal trainer is a wise investment if you can afford it.  After that, if you are motivated you can do it on your own.

4.  Drink lots of water.

Again, beyond that much depends on personal fitness goals, body type, health history, etc.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
Classic remark ;)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 07:24:13 AM »
"Everything.....in moderation...Ben Franklin.

Slynito

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »
"Everything.....in moderation...Ben Franklin.

True...especially moderation!  :*))

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 03:17:38 PM »
  " Everything in moderation including moderation."   O0
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:36:36 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline georgedepp

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 07:09:05 AM »
Some healthy heart exercise for half an hour 4 or 5 times a week is great. If you are not yet exercising, just walking will really help. Later, however, you will want something that really works up a sweat doing.

Offline SalWalker

• Sly Jr.
  • Contentment is wealth; luxury is poverty
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »
Bump.

No time for "no time."

I'm in a situation that doesn't allow me much time for exercise or access to equipment.  So I tried to figure out what I could do here in my apartment with minimal gear.

I was already in decent shape, but I didn't want to lose what I had.  I finally decided to do two exercises, every day, for thirty days: 100 burpees and 50 pull-ups.  I could divide them into as many sets or reps as I wanted, but I had to do 100 and 50 every day for thirty days.  Time and lack of equipment were no excuses.

Doing this for 30 days made a big difference in my strength and stamina gains.  I was never overweight, but I did lose a little extra bodyfat and look more "cut."

I eat in moderation: oatmeal for breakfast, a couple of boiled eggs and some fruit for lunch, a healthy dinner: red meat in moderation, sometimes vegetarian, whole grains instead of refined ones.  No soda, ever...but I'm a sucker for the occasional candy bar.  Drink tea, coffee, water and milk.  Sometimes a small glass of orange or grapefruit juice with breakfast.  No sugar in the tea or coffee.  Honey sometimes.

I also walk a good bit every day.  With this, I stay in pretty good shape.  I liked my burpee/pull-out workout so much that I started going to a crossfit-style gym once or twice a week for short, intense, 30-minute workouts. 

Start small with something you can sustain.  Then sustain.  Life, hopefully, is a marathon, not a 40 yard dash.  Make an intention, a commitment, a goal, a plan, a schedule, and an effort.  That's all it takes.
"If you wish to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."  - Epictetus

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 05:51:56 AM »
On May 21st I, along with at least 2 other Moderators on the Forum, am starting the"P90X SBG 90 Day Moderator Challenge". Our own BaldRob is now a BeachBody Coach and is going to oversee/coach us through the 90 days.

Look for Rob's recent posts for more info on how it will work.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:40 PM »
Total your current daily calorie intake and reduce it by 500 calories. Eat lean proteins,leafy greens and veggies. Clean carbs like oatmeal. Fruit. Make protein the highest percentage of your meal plan.
A cheap investment of exercise equipment that fits in even a small apartment is a tower so you can do pull ups & dips & leg raises.  Pushups, squats, lunges, crunches etc. require no equipment & not a lot of time. Walk whenever you can & take the stairs instead of an elevator.  There surely are healthy options from the caterer.

Offline TunaSkin

• My Blog: http://rollingintherok.wordpress.com/
  • Sly Jr.
    • My blog:
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with everyone above who has said time is no excuse. You have to make time. More importantly you have to make exercising a priority. Decide it's something you want to do and that it's important to you and then start living accordingly.

I think the low carb, high protein approach to weight loss, or in my case, staying lean, is a good way to work your diet. Read Tim Ferris's book the 4 Hour Body, especially the part about the "slow carb diet". Little changes go along way over time.

As far as working out goes, in addition to regular Jiu-jitsu practices, I do a "prisoner style" workout in my apartment. The only equipment I use, but dont necessarily need, is a dumbell I can add and remove weight from. Everything else is bodyweight exercises. I set a timer for 30 minutes and pick 3 or 4 exercises, then I pick a number of reps for each exercise and do them in a circuit, followed by no more than a minute of rest after each circuit. Do as many circuits as you can in the 30 minutes, then you're finished. Simple and effective.

I think the main thing is making exercise a priority though.

Good luck with everything.

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”- Dale Carnegie

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:01 AM »
I am kinda like a bear i get fatter when winter is coming and then somehow i lose weight before summer don't know how I just do, I don't really exercise and yet  i vary from winter to the summer in average 10 kilos now I am satisfied with 84 kg.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 03:10:17 AM »
I am on a "Sea Food" diet.

If I "see" food, I want to eat it.

As far as exercise goes, my bi weekly lawn mowing, cleaning up my big garden and running around at work for my boss is the sum total of my exercise.  Oh yes, and of course sex -- that’s great exercise, but that is never enough exercise, is it guys?
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 03:27:12 AM »
Waine i a getting lot of garden cleaning, mowing and running  but not enough of that fourth stuff  to be honest ;)

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 03:32:42 AM »
Too much is never enough Waine  :D this is from some song that is now playing in my head    :*))