Author Topic: Exercising Benefits  (Read 5407 times)

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
Exercising Benefits
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
   I've been a long time sufferer of depression and anxiety, it runs on my moms side of the family. I've been prescribed numerous different pills that were suppose to help me with out any success. I've also used many illegal drugs that helped in the short term, but you felt worse than before when they were over. However none of these legal/illegal drugs compare to the benefits I get from exercsing, and the benefits last all day long.
    I've been working out for about the last month and half off and on, but just this last week and a half I've started going frequently. I get up every morning bike a mile to the gym, and lift weights and run a mile while I'm at the gym, and than bike a mile back home. Not only have I reduced my depression and anxiety to just sparse moments. I also sleep much better, I also suffered from minor insomnia. I can now go to sleep at 12-1 and wake up at 10 vs. not being able to fall asleep till 3-4 and wake up at 1. (I feel like half my days gone when I do that) I've also been trading my old snacks of chips and sweets with more healthy things like carrots and bananas.
    To be honest I was never really happy with being sly and more just learned to live with it. I know this was more my d&a as I was always down on my apperance when I had hair to. However within these last week and a half of working out I actually like the way I look sly now. I feel as if exercising has givin me a much needed boost in confidence and happiness. So for anyone out there who went sly and feels they'd like an extra boost in that department I would definetly recommend getting some exercise, as it can do alot more than you think it could... not to mention I like the way my bodys starting to look.  :)

The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Exercising Benefits
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »
Right on, Kenny! Great advice.  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
Good points Kenny and keep up the good work.After awhile it becomes such a habit you don't feel right unless you exercise. I've been into some form of exercise since I was 14 and at 67  I feel at least 10 years younger.  O0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:47:01 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:07:41 AM »
Kenny, you've stumbled on a workable combination that's been written about in the literature about depression, keep it up O0.  Take a look at this site:
http://www.overcoming-depression.com/depression-and-exercise.html

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:51:05 AM »
BRILLIANT post Kenny! There's nothing like getting off your backside and doing something to make you feel better  O0

Some of the guys might remember from a previous post, that I had to "chase the demons" in the past and was on medication also. The meication didnt help. Only I could fix the problem, and did so with doing just exactly what you have done Kenny. Well done m8.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:12:42 AM by The Scottish Ambassador »
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline TGB1

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »
Keep at it bro and things will only get better.
.....the quiet brightness of the city disconcerts. Somewhere malfeasance percolates. There is work to be done.

Offline Mrnemo

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
Good post your not alone I deal with alot of the same issues. Just quit meds after 12 years and no real change. I just started working out about two months ago myself. A tone body definatley compliments a shaved head. Keep up the good work

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:29:18 AM »
I always feel my best when I have a regular exercise routine. It gets the endorphins moving through your system.

Offline gebodragon

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 10:44:19 AM »
Absolutely agree with this.  I am also a lifelong sufferer with recurrent major depression and anxiety, was on meds for years, but have completely been off for several years now after starting to exercise and discovering that it worked better than the meds for my depression and had so many other health benefits at the same time.  I walk for about an hour most days, hit the gym with a friend two or three times a week, take long bike rides when I feel like it.  I focus on exercise that I enjoy doing, so  it doesn't become a dreaded chore.  Look better, feel better all around, physically and mentally.

Our bodies were made to move and be active, and our spirits reap the benefits as well. 

Eating well and getting plenty of rest and relaxation are crucial too. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »
Awesome post Kenny!!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »
I've been under a lot of pressure at work lately with a lot of tight deadlines.  I try to go to the gym at lunchtime about 3 days a week to get my cardio workout in.  There have been some weeks this summer when I wasn't able to get the workout in -- and on those days I'm like a madman.  A good hard workout is the only thing that relieves stress for me.  I definitely notice the difference when I can't do it -- as, I daresay, can the people I work with.   ^-^

marty22

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »
I agree with (D) all of the above.

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 12:25:31 AM »
Exercise is a great thing. There are definately benefits to exercise. I do some form of exercise everyday, whether it would be swimming or walking around the block a few times. My wife and I did yoga, pilates, and we also had a MMA DVD. We had all of  the exercises on DVD. We even have a stand up punching bag to do the MMA fitness DVD. Where I used to work had a gym that I would try to get to a few days a week.  We started following a weight watchers point system diet. When we started doing the fitness DVD's, we did that for about 6 months, until the weather started getting warm and we could go swimming. My wife lost 5 lbs in that time frame and I ended up gaining 10lbs. :Xo! Go figure. I really cannot exercise a whole alot, or the degenerating disk in my back will remind me of its presents.  :Xo! I cannot lift weights because of nerve damage in my hands and the disc my back. I was told by the doctor as well weight lifting could aggravate the nerve damage and possibly make my muscles in my arms atrophy even more than what they are.  >:(  It could also cause more damage to the disc in my back. :(  I do not want to lose grip of the weights while lifting either. I tried to usually doing it 30-45 minutes a day, unless my back was acting up, but most days try to get in 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week. I don't know if we did do something wrong. We plan on starting this routine again, because swimming season is over. We do alot of swimming in the summer months. My doctor said it could be either be something genetic like very slow metabolism or I gained muscle weight. Alot of the people on my dad's side of the family are over weight. I did manage to lose a few pounds over the summer going swimming everyday, but not as much as I thought I would, and continued with the diet. Watching calories, carbs and fat intake, eating healthier. The good news with this is my blood pressure isn't as high, and helped my wife's high cholesterol, although we both are on medicine for them.  >:(  :Xo!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:45:14 AM by rcg5227 »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »
Absolutely agree with this.  I am also a lifelong sufferer with recurrent major depression and anxiety, was on meds for years, but have completely been off for several years now after starting to exercise and discovering that it worked better than the meds for my depression and had so many other health benefits at the same time.  I walk for about an hour most days, hit the gym with a friend two or three times a week, take long bike rides when I feel like it.  I focus on exercise that I enjoy doing, so  it doesn't become a dreaded chore.  Look better, feel better all around, physically and mentally.

Our bodies were made to move and be active, and our spirits reap the benefits as well.  

Eating well and getting plenty of rest and relaxation are crucial too.  

I suffered from those same conditions myself, anxiety and depression, as well as ADHD. My former doctor was able to trace my problems to when I was seven years old, because I went to a few behavioral health speciaists at that age. I've always felt like I was an outcast somehow, for as long as I can remember. The one psychiatrist I went to said it could possibly be Aspergers Syndrome.  I found for me exercise has helped it to an extent, but not take away all of the symptoms. I am still on the meds for it, but if it works for you, more power to you.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 12:48:21 AM by rcg5227 »
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline johnssimpsons

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 05:45:39 AM »
There are some benefits of exercises:
1. It gives us healthy body.
2. We look smart and attractive.
3. Improve blood circulation.
4. Make our body flexible.
5. Reduce weight.