Author Topic: Possible first timer  (Read 11564 times)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Possible first timer
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:57:19 PM »
So I've been thinking recently about getting an ear piercing or two.  I think tunnels/spacers look really cool, but I don't want a large hole, just something reasonably modest.

I've never had any piercings or tattoos.  Any thoughts on how much something like this costs including the piercing and tunnels?

I've also been thinking about a shoulder tattoo.  I've thought about it for a few years, but I can never come up with a design that's truly meaningful to me.  Piercings are one thing, but I refuse to get inked with something I'm not 100% positive about.

"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: Possible first timer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »
84 views and no replies?  :'(

Well I've researched a little and the tunnels look like they may be too much trouble.  I was thinking something like 8 or 6ga, possibly 4.  I just don't like the idea that if I want to take them out later in life the holes may not fill back in...

Any encouraging or discouraging words?
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »
I think they would look great Bill. I'd think I'd do the smallest gauge first to see if you like it because it fills in. Like I offered before, you are always welcome to borrow my emo wig. I really should post one of my youtube videos up with me in the wig.

Offline oldbaldguy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:11:56 PM »
I have a small gold hoop in my ear and alternate between it and a gold stud. Also have 1 tattoo of the "mudflap girl".

Not too radical but I like the look.

If you like it go for it.

Offline Rob-Raz

• Super Sly
  • Me and my girls
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
Didn't reply earlier...didn't know anything about tunnels and spacers.   As far as tats though...be careful....cause once you start....it itch to get more is almost as bad as the itch to buy shaving products!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:13:13 PM »
i had a 4ga in my ear. when i took it out it closed up.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:53:23 AM »
I can't speak to th ear things...... it's just not my thing but tattoos...........

Here's the text of an entry I made in another thread about tattoos:

I have three tats... one small flash piece dedicated to my wife and two half sleeves. All three are very personal to ME... nobody else...just me.
I always suugest tats that mean something and that will be timeless to the person being tattooed.

Here's what I suggest..... sit back and think about your grandfather. Think about the things he liked and did in his life that meant something to YOU.  For example, if you and he enjoyed a mint ice cream cone together on Saturday afternoons, get that cone as a part of the tattoo. Random things that were the special things about him and his relationship with you... that mean something to YOU. Random items and things mixed together in  sort of a collage can make an amazing tattoo.

Be sure to pick a top notch artist for this type of tattoo. Go speak to the artist to meet them and see if you and he/she have a good vibe between the two of you..... it can make the whole experience that much better.

Also... as a first timer, PLEASE remember to tip your artist when the tattoo is completed. So many first timers do not know that this is the proper thing to do. And no... I'm not a tattoo artist... just an enthusiast.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
And some more info from yet another thread. This is about finding an artist/shop:

The internet is a great source..... you can research locally, go onto tattoo Forums and ask about artists, and just pop into shops and talk to artists and look at their work.

I liked the pop-in method....... this gave me a chance to talk to the artists to see if there was a comfort level, how they fely about me asking for tweaks of their drawings of the design, and gave me a chance to look around the shop to see if it was clean.

I  actually politely walked out of a few places because of either what I felt were cleanliness issues or I just didn't get a good feel from the artist.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »
One more... alot of good info here:

BJR-

First let's answer those question:

1) Tattoos will fade over time. But if you take care of your tattos you can minimize the fading. the number one thing you can do is wear sunscreen when your tattoo will be exposed to the sun.

2) Whether you gain mass or fat your tattoo shouldn't change drastically, if at all.

3) Any area that is not fleshy will hurt more. The least painful area to get a tattoo is the sides of the shoulders. If the artist gets under the arm that's pretty sensitive. Painful areas, from what I've read and people I've spoken to are tops of feet or hands, neck,back of shoulders and ribcage/chest.

My advice for your first tattoo......

Take your time and find a GOOD artist. Make an appointment to go talk to the artist. See if you have a good feeling about both the artist and the studio. If you don't, go somewhere else. When you are in the studio, look around carefully. Look for dirt in the corners or any other signs of the place not being clean. Ask to see both the autoclave and the certificate that shows that it's certification is up to date.

Price should never be your FIRST concern. Never have truer words than "You get what you pay for" been uttered. Cost is a concern for most people but it should never be your first concern.

Think long and hard and BE SURE of your design. If you are going to have strictly "text" done you will most likely not get the best artist in the studio but more than likely an under study. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of. Good artists that I've met don't care to do strictly text but don't mind it as part of a more involved tattoo.

When you go to get your tattoo....... bathe just before you go. You're going to be in very close proximity to the artist and they will appreciate it. My artist even commented on the fact that I smelled clean the first time she tattooed me.
Wear a sleevless shirt (if getting your shoulder tattooed) or a shirt that is easily removable. Don't wear your best shirt because there's a good chance you may bleed onto it.

And after you get your tattoo....... TIP THE ARTIST. Most people don't realize that this is good protocol but believe me the artists really apreciate it. They will remember and do touch ups ,etc. for little or no charge if you treat them well. 15% or so will make your artist very happy.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 11:21:20 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, especially Koz!

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 05:14:02 PM »
Bill, I was probably one of your 84 views and I was wondering why would anyone want to get poked or prodded?  ???  Yeah, I've heard some of the opinions about making your body a work of art, and personalizing and all that.   ^-^

I've also heard about doctors and other medical professionals advising me against such poking as it would cause possible infections or worse  :XX in my case; so I'm adequately leery of the whole subject.   :o  

Besides all that, I have enough battle scars and assorted (expensive $$$$) reminders of visits to ER's and hospitals, and having medical professionals put their marks on my outer layer  :/O
So you might say I was just one of those many curious people.

Bottom line, if you want to do it; do it.  I could suggest making sure you're in a sterile environment, yada, yada; but that's up to you.  There is some risk in everything, and you can't protect people from doing what they want to do (still somewhat free country, etc.).

My only advice to you is to be careful and make sure it's what you want.  Most piercings can close up over time, once you're tired of them, and may not leave much of a scar, and if it does, so what.
The tats on the other hand can be more permanent and they don't come off too easily.
Whatever you do, make sure you get a good picture of it and show us afterwards! 8)

Offline New_Shine

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
believe it or not, Carmex works friggin great for preserving color, A friend of mine had a tat that i saw one day and asked him when he got it, he said 24 years ago... asked him how and he told me
Watch as it glistens

Offline rcg5227

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 09:44:36 PM »
I have one tattoo of a tiger and it will probably be my last because I broke out from the ink. I bled more than the average person too. The artist couldn't believe how much I bled and said it was one of the worst bleeding while doing a tattoo he has ever seen in the 12 years he has done tattoos. My tattoo swollen up about an inch from the surface of my skin. My wife got a matching tattoo and she didn't have any reaction. I got my tattoo on my right lower back near my butt, same place as my wife I didn't get it on my arm because I have nerve damage in my arms. When I get a shot at the doctor I make them give me it on my leg. I had a tetanus shot last year and glad I didn't get it on my arm, because it got swollen. There was about a 8 inch round red puffy and a rose about 2 inches from the surface of my skin, near the injection site.  I have extremely sensitive skin and have to watch what razors and shaving creams I use.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/100913/samp9b3884feb623b6eb.jpg[/img] [/url]

---"The greatest action is not conforming to the world's ways."---

Offline jsowens

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »
As far as the lobe piercings are concerned...It's actually not as much trouble as you would imagine.  I initially got mine pierced at 10 gauge and have since stretched them to 1/2''.  I have no plans to get rid of them or go any bigger with them at this point, but I'm fairly confident they would shrink down considerably, but I know they'll never close completely.  I've frequently read various piercing forums and the general consensus is to treat earlobe stretching as a permanent mod from the beginning, which is what I did.  I have a friend who stretched to 00 gauge and his closed down to a normal sized hole, but I've also seen folks who went to a similar size and still have very noticeable holes.  Everyone's body is different.  Good luck, though with the piercing and/or tattoo and do lots of research beforehand.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice jsowens!  I'm actually thinking about getting an ear pierced tomorrow.  That's cool how you started at 10ga.  I'd rather not start at 18 or 16ga... it seems like the only hoops or studs that would fit would look too girly.  But I'm also concerned that if I start out at too large a gauge the piercing will have a more difficult time closing up if I decide to take it out...  What do you think?