Author Topic: Against the grain vs With the grain  (Read 13859 times)

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
Against the grain vs With the grain
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »
Hey i'm probably going to be shaving pretty soon, I just wanted some advice about going against the grain.

The first time I shaved i went against the grain on the top and with the grain on the back and sides The top come out great and smoothe with no bumps or anything, the back i like hacked it apart though trying to get it smoothe, so should I go against the grain on the back? I heard you can get ingrown hairs by doing that  

So i was wondering when i shave should i go with the grain all around then shave again against the grain? would that lower the risk of ingrown hairs?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Edit: pretty set on doing it this thursday at the earliest.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:48:19 AM by Morthen »

Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
Re: Against the grain vs With the grain
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »
I normally shave WTG and then ATG. Personally, I get ingrowns a lot when going ATG in the back- so skipped that part. A lot of the problems associated there has to do with using too much pressure on the razor. Give it a shot for a couple of days and see- just remember to use a light touch.

Everybody's hair is different. You may have no problems or you may look like a lot of the pictures here when you're done. It's all trial and error.
- Eric W-

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:59 PM »
First with, then against.......... the entire head. That will give the smoothest shave.......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:06:51 PM »
Hey i'm probably going to be shaving pretty soon, I just wanted some advice about going against the grain.

The first time I shaved i went against the grain on the top and with the grain on the back and sides The top come out great and smoothe with no bumps or anything, the back i like hacked it apart though trying to get it smoothe, so should I go against the grain on the back? I heard you can get ingrown hairs by doing that  

So i was wondering when i shave should i go with the grain all around then shave again against the grain? would that lower the risk of ingrown hairs?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Edit: pretty set on doing it this thursday at the earliest.

P@^

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
so the consensus is shave with the grain first, rinse, then shave again against the grain. Do this for a while and see whether or not it has any adverse effects?

sounds good thanks fellas. I'll get a pic up of my shaved head when i do it
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
I shave WTG and then ATG.   Like others I don't put a lot of pressure when I do ATG.   I've had a couple of instances of ingrown hairs -- every time it was because I was trying to stretch the blade life beyond what I should.   WTG only isn't smooth enough for me.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 07:57:14 PM »
I think your going to have to just find your groove.  I just go front to back and then back to front.  So technically,  I go against the grain in the front and with the grain in the back on my first pass.  And then I go against the grain in the back and with the grain in the front on the second pass.  :o  Ok even I'm confused after that one. :D

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Practice makes perfect...like most I always go with the grain first then finish off with going against the grain...

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 03:16:40 PM »
I'm the same as the others, WTG then ATG, then ATG when finding the odd little patches i missed.

If you go ATG to start you'll end up with...alot of cuts, well i do anyway ;D

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
I go exclusively against the grain.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
I mix it up.  Mostly against the grain: I go all directions in turn, to get it really smooth. 8)

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
I do nothing but shave against the grain and haven't had more than 1 occasion where I have broken out or had in-grown hairs.  I have one shaved with the grain once and that was the first time I shaved.  Everyone is different though and I do hear that if you shave with the grain first you get a longer smooth feeling

MikeInPdx

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:04:04 AM »
I go against the grain all the time now, but couldn't do it when I first started. Your technique improves with time and blades (and shaving products) have gotten better.

The only time I ever got ingrowns was with a Norelco Rotary electric razor.....still have a could of scars on the back of my head from those and that was 9 years ago. D#tG3t

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 11:28:01 AM »
If your new at shaving I suggest go wtg only see how that works out. After a few shaves if every thing works out then and only then try atg. Doing to much at first causes the problems many new shavers have. IMHO.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
i did all with the grain for my 1st shave it was okay. I did against the grain today for my 2nd shave and i like it MUUUCH more, sooo smoothe and it feels great.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010