Author Topic: Against the grain vs With the grain  (Read 13848 times)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: Against the grain vs With the grain
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 04:09:48 PM »
WTG then ATG FTW IMO
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

GASlick

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 11:32:11 AM »
I go against the grain only.  Never had a problem.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »
It depends on your scalp, some guys get razor burn or bumps going against the grain.  I don't have that issue so I go against the grain to get as close as I can.  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

backseatview

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 01:32:46 PM »
i normally go against the grain... i dont have any problems with it either... but ive enver thought of trying WTG then ATG.. i need to shave so maybe ill try that after i finish this post... i always get a smooth shave but i keep trying to get that hairless look. i have dark hair and even after i shave you can still see hair underneath the skin, any way around that? im hoping i start to grey soon so my hair wont be as obvious when i shave (how many 28yo's do you hear that wish to go grey)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
Shaving against the grain always results in a far better shave than when I shave with the grain.

I don't understand the logic behind shaving with the grain first then following it up with an against the grain shave.  The best shaves I ever get are the times I skip a day or two then shave it off with only against-the-grain swipes.  It hurts more, but the shave is great.  To me this implies that having a little length is beneficial for an against-the-grain shave and by preceeding a shave with a with-the-grain shave it seems like you'll eliminate that.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline ret808

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
I go front to back then back to front .. after that i get the weird spots from the side and basically meet in the middle.
My head has to be totally cue-ball smooth when im done or it drives me nuts.

The toughest spot to get smooth for me is high on the back were a cowlick would be if i let it grow out.

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »
I've always shaved against the grain, but it depends on your head and hair, really. Everyone is different, and there's no right answer.

Offline tomahawk275

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:57 AM »
We are all unique and so is our skin and hair type.
As for me, Against the grain.

Offline ynrehc

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »
I always go against, never had any problems

thebaldguy84

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »
I was fearful of going ATG, for fear of a head that would look like a slice of pizza! Finally tried it the other day and followed it up with some Clear Head. Have had NO problems and feel it's the only way to go...if your scalp can handle it.

usmcpelon

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »
Always begin WTG and then ATG, but I also shave sideways because going WTG and ATG is not enough for me.  I have to shave sideway from right to left and from left to right to make sure I get the best possible smooth shave.  For me it’s the only way to get rid of all the stubble.

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »
I only go ATG around the ears.  Otherwise, WTG then ACROSS the grain. No irritation that way and it's just as smooth as ATG.

Offline Redgrave101

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
So far im preferring to first go over WTG and then follow up ATG. Then its time to root out all those tricky areas....

Offline jerry020653

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
I use Shavers Secret shaving oil (available at Walmart for a couple of bucks), and shave exclusively against the grain. Its a lot faster, and gives me a smoother and longer lasting shave. Have never cut myself or had any ingrown hairs, and I've been doing it for 2 years now.

Everyone is different, and you'll just have to find what works best for you. The secret is to keep your scalp stretched, and as slippery as possible.

Offline kenny57028

• Super Sly
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
I shave front to back and than back to front and side to side. Hair around my neck always wants to put up a good fight against the razor, i dont know if there a different type of hair yet, but still trying to master cutting em down.
The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the Past better than it was,
the Present worse than it is & the future less resolved than it will be.