Poll

Should i strive for conquer or should i give up and accept fate? What to do

Continue finasteride
1 (3.1%)
Continue Finasteride + adding stronger stuff  (like dutasteride))
1 (3.1%)
Cut my hair shorter and use hair growth shampoo (like Ketazonal)
0 (0%)
buzzcut it and hope for the best
5 (15.6%)
blade it and hope for the best
25 (78.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Destined for baldness?  (Read 8022 times)

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
Re: Destined for baldness?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
I've tried virtually every treatment known to man -- and I've stood in the mirror and stared at my head for way too many hours trying to see signs of regrowth.   I was on Minoxodil in 1987 when you needed a prescription -- results -- $120/month less money in my pocket.  I tried custom mixtures by doctors who had cult like followings for their mixtures (minoxidil + finasteride + some other nasty stuff) - results = $150/month out of my pocket with no results.   I tried Proscar - the prostate drug when people were starting to talk about it being used for hairloss.   Results = nothing other than a huge estrogen boost and breast tissue growth.   I did the hair piece route as well -- spending at least $70,000 on systems over the years.   The result -- I'm still a bald guy and dealing with a hair piece is a nightmare.   The only thing I haven't tried is hair transplants and I just about did that back in the late 80's until a friend of mine did the scalp reduction surgery and transplants.  He looked like a freak of nature after the procedures -- and every time it rained his ears filled up with water (nawh just a joke that he used to tell after his scalp reduction surgery - used to tell people his ears ended up on the top of his head). 

So the net result for me -- if I would have taken every dollar I spent on trying to regain my hair and put it into the stock market - I'd have enough money to pay cash for a nice house, and I wouldn't struggle with the effects of Finasteride (they hang with you no matter what the literature says).

I'm the happiest I've been since that day in 1987 (or so) when I saw the top of my head in a reflection in an elevator.   You may not think you'll be happy after you shave your head and you may think that people will look at you or treat you differently.  The truth -- its all in your mind.   Nobody stares at me, nobody makes a comment (other than women who say how hot guys who shave their heads are), and I spend about 1/10th of a second a day thinking about my hairloss (probably an overstatement - its actually significantly less than that). 

Do yourself a huge favor and don't take the drugs,  don't do the shampoos,  and don't worry about losing your hair.  But you won't understand the freedom and not worrying about your hairloss until you take a razor to your head.   

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »
AND ALL THE BALD MEN SAY.....AMEN.    Todd speaks the gospel of the bald man.    O0  Spend the money on a Corvette or a house.  That will draw more women than hair.  8)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 07:17:23 AM »

When I am in worry mode what preoccupies me is at what point in my travels I will encounter the Angel of Death. I've been lucky so far. But today is another day.

Do you mean "travels" metaphorically as in your journey through life or are you being literal? I mean are you referring to a fear of flying or the like?

I was speaking metaphorically when I used the word "travels".
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »
Destined for baldness?? :/O  I would have rather said being bald is 'destined for greatness'!! ^-^

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »
Destined for baldness?? :/O  I would have rather said being bald is 'destined for greatness'!! ^-^

O0  Well said!

Offline Osasuna

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 09:21:15 AM »
I'm sorry i have to in some parts disagree with u guys.

Like Dave i'm now taking finas + 1 of 2 days minoxidil. I perfctly know it won't be forever, and i know at some point i'll bored and i'll just buzz it. But today my alopecia is in someway undercontrol, and i'm only 20 years old. For now if i can keep what i have i'm happy. My mind is not ready yet to buzz  (however i wanna do it, but i just cant right now).

So, to Dave, the olny only advice i'll give is this one: if you are ready to buzz or shave u hair, just do it men.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 02:09:53 PM »
i'm only 20 years old. For now if i can keep what i have i'm happy. My mind is not ready yet to buzz  (however i wanna do it, but i just cant right now).

If you've read the adverse effects, understood that they're real and you're willing to exchange hair on your scalp for heart problems, loss of potency, etc.--you've made your deal w/ the devil.  It's really sad, 20 and no sense of how long the effects will last and no guarantees of the time you will have with hair.  But, you're a big boy, excuse me, a grown, no--nothing with 'size" fits you, or will fit you soon.  So, let's just say you should know better at your age.  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:12:54 PM by saintc »

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 03:03:12 PM »
Blows my mind.  Gobs of money and Man boobs. ....but I have hair.....kind of  ???   I'd rather have a motorcycle/sport car and a comb over if I was going to be in denial.

Polarbear

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 03:16:16 PM »
Don't do it if you ask me.

I used some stuff for a while as well. I don't like pills at all. And taking pills reminded me everyday of my hair loss. That was not my goal. So I stopped, also before my boobs went out of control ;)

Just let your hairs leave you if they want to and go with the flow. Really, as long as your hair is (really) short you won't even notice the progress of your hair falling out. Hair loss is not a flaw, it is a blessing for modern men: it reminds us that we are not here on this planet to be vain and complaining, that we are men and not women ;)

For me, I chose the "become confident and happy with myself" route and stopped with the drugs. I hope you eventually do that too.

I'm sorry i have to in some parts disagree with u guys.

Like Dave i'm now taking finas + 1 of 2 days minoxidil. I perfctly know it won't be forever, and i know at some point i'll bored and i'll just buzz it. But today my alopecia is in someway undercontrol, and i'm only 20 years old. For now if i can keep what i have i'm happy. My mind is not ready yet to buzz  (however i wanna do it, but i just cant right now).

So, to Dave, the olny only advice i'll give is this one: if you are ready to buzz or shave u hair, just do it men.

Offline Osasuna

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »
I know you are all right, and i would really like to behave like u did/do but, i dont know, its my mind. As soon as i'm ready i'll stop with finasteride (however no side effects) and minoxidil, but i really cant, thats the problem.

I only hope the day i ll say to myself 'enought with that sh*t, i buzz it' will come soon, but for know thats the situation.

For you its easy, you are not in this era where you still have hair and ur able and want to keep it. U have all moved on shaving/buzzing, and so will I  one day, but try to understand, its not easy, and for now, sadly, i wanna keep it.

But, be sure, the day i'll buzz my head (this day might no be that as far as the shaving one) i'll come to SBG forum, post some pics and ask for ur opinions ;) And also celebrate the fact that 'ill be saving 25 € every month :D

Btw, new aim: In summer, i'll buzz.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 01:30:11 PM »
I know you are all right, and i would really like to behave like u did/do but, i dont know, its my mind. As soon as i'm ready i'll stop with finasteride (however no side effects) and minoxidil, but i really cant, thats the problem.

No one, and I mean no one here who's had mpb, early or late is in anyway minimizing the angst of the day we had to as you should faced the real solution.  Unfortunately for you you have already started what you seem to think is only an expensive dependence on some really dodgy drugs.  Ultimately you'll lose the hair, not a disease, defect or anything like it, just a genetic predisposition.  What you may be doing is hidden lurking waiting to affect your entire life, not just the drugged remnants of your life with hair. 

You have deeper problems than hair, and you need to address them before they further damage your future. 

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »
I'm just wondering why you were hoping to get our acceptance?  You are on a forum sponsored by four different shaving products.  One of which makes a razor that half of us use and 85 percent own.  Almost none of our members that have used any of the snake oils recommend it.  We are the hair club for men's worst nightmare.  I'll tell you in a toned down version like one of our members has said in the past.  Cowboy Up and be a man.  I know you are younger than most of us and still have this delusion of indestructibility, but that stuff is straight up bad for you.  I know you think your made of twisted steel and sex appeal, but you not.  Your just a mere mortal and I hate that you believe that pumping your self full of synthetic chemicals for meager results is the answer.  What it all boils down to is that like it or not each one of us in our own way cares for you.  Otherwise we would have quit posting here a long time ago.  We are the ultimate support group for MPB, but you have to buy into our system before you will get any sympathy.  And that system cost you a pack of razor cartridges and half a can of shave gel a month.   Just remember our moto "No Plugs, Drugs or Rugs"   Until then I'll be praying for your sanity.  :-X

Polarbear

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »

I only hope the day i ll say to myself 'enought with that sh*t, i buzz it' will come soon, but for know thats the situation.

For you its easy, you are not in this era where you still have hair and ur able and want to keep it. U have all moved on shaving/buzzing, and so will I  one day, but try to understand, its not easy, and for now, sadly, i wanna keep it.

But, be sure, the day i'll buzz my head (this day might no be that as far as the shaving one) i'll come to SBG forum, post some pics and ask for ur opinions ;) And also celebrate the fact that 'ill be saving 25 € every month :D

Btw, new aim: In summer, i'll buzz.

Yep. It's easy to say now, but I do remember it wasn't easy back then. That's why we are on this forum. We can't let other people go through the same mental sh*t as we did before the relief.

For me the decision to buzz my hair was simple: I was getting depressed by the hair that I saw on my pillow and shoulders day after day. They were very long hairs. So I buzzed it, to stop notice the hair loss. It made my mind clear and I got myself back. I cried, I was relieved. Whether or not you choose to continue the pills, I recommend that you buzz your hair today, rather than tomorrow. At this point, you are probably having a fear that it will look hidious. You won't. Every day you wait before a buzz cut (or shave for that matter) will build up anxiety. Well, it's your choice. Good luck :)

And with a buzzcut, you could look like Jason Statham ;)

Polar bear

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
I'm not in my 20's, I'm 45.  But I have seen my hair thin quite a bit over the last few years.  People would look at my scalp showing through my hair while they where talking to me.  (I could understand if there was cleavage up there.)  Some of my friends would remark on my thinning hair, and we would laugh.  I try not to take myself too seriously. 
I knew I would not go for a lifetime of drugs for uncertain results.  I don't like hats, and a I didn't think I could go the way of the hairpiece. 
I too set goals of when to buzz, or go for the gold and shave.  I just did 2 weeks with a #1 buzz.  That was quite a relief.  Most folks I know had complements if anything to say about it.  This past weekend I shaved for the first time, and have been shaving daily since.  I'd be lying if I said every moment was great.  (I don't like to attract attention to myself.)   When I do begin to question this choice, I remind myself I have been thinking about this for about 2 years.  I have a clearly defined horseshoe and very thin hair on top which thins more with each passing day. 
You have to take the plunge when you are ready.  After you do, don't second guess yourself.  Do the 30 days.  I can't wait for my scalp color to even out.  Right now I look like the new kid in the concentration camp.  But I still don't regret the choice.   
Try the buzz, I think you'll like it.  If you do, go for the sly when you are ready.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
"Destined for Baldness"?  I say, "Blessed with Baldness!"  At fourteen, everyone has a full head of hair; at sixty, only the immature, still suppressing their testosterone, do.  Those of us who follow the fortunate path let the world know we are mature, wise, and wholly male.

Enter your email address: