Author Topic: Considering minoxidil for the beard  (Read 33520 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Considering minoxidil for the beard
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:56 PM »
I've been unhappy with the density and coverage of my beard for a white.  I've considered trying Rogain but never looked into it because I figured it wouldn't work since the scalp and beard are totally different hair types.  Tonight I looked into it and, oddly enough, found that increased body/facial hair growth is a known side effect.  One site even said to avoid the high 5% strength because stray contact can result in hair growth on the forehead and ears.

I'm not interested in using it permanently.  I know with the scalp that the new growth dies if you stop using it, but I wonder if that's true with the beard.  On the scalp there's something actively going on that causes the hair to disappear, so it makes sense to see scalp hair disappear after ending a treatment that supresses the balding process.  The beard's different.  There's nothing attacking my hairs; the low density is a result of the hairs never bothering to develop. If this drug causes them to develop then it seems possible that they'll have no reason to disappear once the treatment stops.

I figured I'd give it a shot.  The real side effects seem to be either mild or slow in developing, so I'll give it a few months and quit if anything harmful happens.  Anyone else try it here?

You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Considering minoxidil for the beard
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »
I have not tried it nor would I.

As far as the side effects I would do some serious research to see whether the side effects would be reversible upon cessation of use. Some of the SE I've read about with these types of drugs are pretty wild and I don't know if they only persist as long as you are using the drugs.

But, hey man, it's your libido!

If it was me I would just shave my face, too, or start a goatee.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:28:01 AM »
I'm a little surprised by this post Rusty. From your past posts on the Forum I pegged you as a pretty down to earth and reasonable guy.... not the kind of guy that would resort to something like this.

I know this sounds a little harsh but is is not meant to be.........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:28:50 AM »
Well, it's a bad idea.  And besides, I get stray grow on the ears w/o the drug :D anyway! 
Perhaps try this if you want facial hair.  Man up and don't shave at all for one month.  Nothing, no trimming w/ blade or sissors, just straight mountain man.  At the end of that time you're going to see what type of beard you can grow, it may be a full goat & moustache, a circle goat, whatever.  You can't tell this without a month, unless you have above average density, and that's obviously what we're not dealing w/ here.  Now after a month, trim to the beard you've got.  And then, no real trimming at all for three months.  It will become denser as dormant hairs come back.  If you like it, it could take 6 to 12 months to fully mature--and it may have to be 1/2" long or longer to give the appearance you want.  Those shorter trimed models may not be in the genes for you. 

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »
I'm a little surprised by this post Rusty. From your past posts on the Forum I pegged you as a pretty down to earth and reasonable guy.... not the kind of guy that would resort to something like this.

I know this sounds a little harsh but is is not meant to be.........

Awl come on!  It's not like I'm talking about shooting up my skin with some liquid steroids!  I'm just going to try an experiment to improve my facial hair.  I've read up on the side effects and they none of them seem sudden.  If something goes wrong it will likely ramp up in such a way that I can just pull the plug.  With the treated surface being so much smaller than a scalp that would reduce the chance for a problem even further.  The only real problem I see is that it won't work, and for that I'd just be out a little money.  I know, I know, I'll be feeding the "beast" that wants balding men to feel like freaks so that they'll forever pay for this goop but I can quit anytime I want (so they say :D)

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »
Well, it's a bad idea.  And besides, I get stray grow on the ears w/o the drug :D anyway! 
Perhaps try this if you want facial hair.  Man up and don't shave at all for one month.  Nothing, no trimming w/ blade or sissors, just straight mountain man.  At the end of that time you're going to see what type of beard you can grow, it may be a full goat & moustache, a circle goat, whatever.  You can't tell this without a month, unless you have above average density, and that's obviously what we're not dealing w/ here.  Now after a month, trim to the beard you've got.  And then, no real trimming at all for three months.  It will become denser as dormant hairs come back.  If you like it, it could take 6 to 12 months to fully mature--and it may have to be 1/2" long or longer to give the appearance you want.  Those shorter trimed models may not be in the genes for you. 

You reminded me of that college professor I had with the caterpillars growing in his ears... nasty...

Anyhoo, I've basically already done what you've said.  First off, I've had a standard shaped goatee (or more) for roughly 15 years.  I know what you're saying with playing around with it because for years I kept it at a certain length and then let it grow a little more and was impressed with the additional coverage it provided.   But as for letting the beard grow out, I basically did that, over the course of a month I slowly knicked edges off to get the maximum size of a decent shape just to see it, and then slowly shaved off portions to see if I could style it well slowly in a literal sense over the couse of weeks.  My beard's alright, but the shape of my face doesn't look good with a beard, especially with my scalp being shaved.  On some guys it looks great, on some it works so well it's almost mandantory that they have that look.  I also don't like having all that hair all over my face.  I'm a goatee guy, but that's my weakest area.

Trust me, I've let mother nature have enough of a crack at it, now it's time for me to take the reigns a little bit. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
Trust me,

We'll have to won't we?  I can't remember an avatar with a picture of the real you, nor can I remember any pictures going up.  As is being discussed currently on other threads today, we're our own harshest judges.  Why not man up, put a picture up and let the guys judge and evaluate what you can and can't do w/ the face fur? 
Yeah, I'm in a pretty blunt mood today! >:D

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:22:35 PM »
 HEEEEEEEEEEEEERES  RUSTY  ! ! !

sorry rusty............... ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:58:48 PM by aarrggh »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »
HEEEEEEEEEEEEERES  RUSTY  ! ! !

sorry rusty............... ;D

Well, if that is Rusty, then the beard's fine, nice color etc.  Probably just needs 6-8 months to gain a really mature density--it can take that long.  Sly, 20 minutes, beards--time, lots of it. 

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
Dude if that is you in the picture, you beard is cool O0.

I have read somewhere that the rogaine stuff works on the beard (not recommend for that area though) but it has some pretty bad side effects as it messes with your blood pressure etc.

Also i think that you have to use it for quite along time for it to take effect.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 03:46:44 PM »
            Rusty would`nt lie... :D

He posted that in  "Beards" / My full beard look---- June 09

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
           Rusty would`nt lie... :D

He posted that in  "Beards" / My full beard look---- June 09

There are problems even SBG won't deal with! ;)

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
That, uh, that's not me!  That's my, uh, neighbor Boomhauer.  Yea... Boomhauer.

Nancy!  They're picking on me!  I'm going to go order a pizza!   :D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »
I have read somewhere that the rogaine stuff . . . has some pretty bad side effects as it messes with your blood pressure etc.

And you get hair on your palms from rubbing it in >:D

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 03:29:44 PM »
Mmmm ...  (*!z@
Ach du meine Nase!

Enter your email address: